Cooking for 40-50

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'll be cooking for a birthday party this weekend. Headcount is 40-50. Here is what I'm planning:

2 - 14# Briskets
1 Full Size Chafing Dish Potato Salad
1 Full Size Chafing Dish Beans (with meat and veg, maybe the Keri Apple)
1 Full Size Chafing Dish Cole Slaw

Based on what I cooked for my wedding which was about 90 people I feel this will be a good amount of food. I know other people will likely bring some other food without telling me too.

You really haven't asked a question but I'm guessing you want to know if your amounts are too much too little or OK. I've always cooked by the weight of the serving per person. A full pan of beans means different things to different people but a 5 ounce serving is just that. Hope this helps.

Yeah, just checking quantities. I don't remember weights of the food in hotel pans, but surely there must be plenty of people here that do. When I cooked for my wedding I did more meat, but I doubled the sides and that was way too much food for the sides - I figure half of what I did will be plenty.

Updating with some weights. I've got the two briskets which are 12 and 12.5 pounds. I have 15# boiled potatoes for tater salad, 12 pounds of cabbage for coleslaw, and two of the 117oz bush's baked beans (this will get about 1-2# left over bbq meat, some onion and peppers to stretch it - a variation of Keri's Hog-Apple).

I think this will be plenty. Figure the briskets trim and cook down to 16# total = 5oz for 50 people. 4oz of coleslaw per person, 5oz taters per person, 5oz beans per person. These numbers are also before the fixins in the taters/beans/cabbage too

Last edited:
Figure the briskets trim and cook down to 16# total = 5oz for 50 people.

I personally think you are low here. 2 12.5lb briskets(25lbs) after trimming and cooking will most likely yield about 11.25lbs of edible meat divided by 50 people = 3.6oz per person. We find that the edible/sales portion of a raw weight brisket after trimming and cooking is about 7.2oz per lb of raw whole brisket.

I personally think you are low here. 2 12.5lb briskets(25lbs) after trimming and cooking will most likely yield about 11.25lbs of edible meat divided by 50 people = 3.6oz per person. We find that the edible/sales portion of a raw weight brisket after trimming and cooking is about 7.2oz per lb of raw whole brisket.

^^^^^^ I agree! Especially if Uncle Lester is hungry! Not to mention that some folks would rather not eat beef. I would also consider another meat selection; say chicken thighs and drumsticks which wouldn't take as long to cook. It looks like you have plenty of sides.

This.

I always figure 1/2 pound meat per person....usually have leftovers but thats a good thing.....they dont last long

So can I tack on to this discussion as it is very similar to the one I am looking at.
65 people
2 proteins: I was going to do 3 briskets (approx. 15lbs pre cooked) and about 20 lbs of boneless chicken breasts
3 hotel pans of mac and cheese
2 hotel pans of beans
15# of potato salad

Think I'm good?

So can I tack on to this discussion as it is very similar to the one I am looking at.
65 people
2 proteins: I was going to do 3 briskets (approx. 15lbs pre cooked) and about 20 lbs of boneless chicken breasts
3 hotel pans of mac and cheese
2 hotel pans of beans
15# of potato salad

Think I'm good?

I am considering starting a caterer if operation Just curious what you're charging per guest?

Back