• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thawing Butts

Lowbrass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Question about thawing butts. I bought a couple of 7.5 lb butts this weekend because they were on sale for .99 a lb. I won't have time to smoke them until either next weekend or the weekend after. I usually smoke butts right away after buying them. I am going to freeze them but don't know how long they will take to thaw out. How many days in advance should I take them out of the freezer so they will thaw in time for a Friday night to Saturday smoke?

I have had a double bag of 8#'s take one day and then I have had them take 3 days. To be safe, take them out Wednesday, and leave them in the fridge until you are ready to use, if still frozen, use the cold water bath method to bring them the rest of the way.

I have had a double bag of 8#'s take one day and then I have had them take 3 days. To be safe, take them out Wednesday, and leave them in the fridge until you are ready to use, if still frozen, use the cold water bath method to bring them the rest of the way.

I'd say about three days too. If they go on the smoker Saturday morning, mine come out of the freezer, usually before I go to bed on Tuesday night. So technically that's 3.5 days.

Pull dates and sales Wyatt. If you see that the store has a bunch of some good looking meat look at the sell by date, they pull it and put it in clearance on that day. I picked up two nice butts on Friday for 30% off.

Some times Safeway will go 50% or better off on meat. Last weekend I picked up a $20 something Angus chuck for $8, weekend sale.

Fresh pork butt here is 1.39/lb its right up the road from me. But good to know how long it will need to thaw, just in case I by some in advance.

That's the way I usually do it...

I did have to do a couple of doubles in a rush... Put them in the microwave for 15 minute shots at 60% and then into water while the other one was in the microwave... Back and forth it took close to an hour and a half for all four butts...

How come everybody gets their meat so cheap?
Are you complaining? You get your meat for free... From your Dad!

Back