• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bbq at outdoor events

C

codom

Let me start my statement by saying I AK no caterer and don't plan to be, nor have I ever cooked for a group of 20 to 30 people and i am sure that it is a lot more difficult. But the last 2 weekends I have found myself at outdoor function, the 1st being a local carnival and the second being a tractor pull, and both events had bbq vendors. The folks at the carnival were charging 4.50 a sandwichand there Que tasted as if it had been frozen for a while and reheated which as you can guess was not a pleasant taste. The second event the vendor was charging 4.00 per sandwich and it tasted like a wad of tissue covered in hot pork fat. Now as I said in the beginning of my post I don't do this for living but I really think I would feel guilty for charging money for the swill that they were serving. There really should be some type of police force to prevent people from doing this to people. I don't guess there is really a point this post other than to rant about it a little.

Haha this reminds me of a recent trip to sams: I havent been smoking for very long and for some DUMB reason I to try a sample near the freezer section of same. Pulled pork sandwhich. I FREAKING love pulled pork... it was so disgusting I almost threw up in my mouth! The texture was the really gross part. Ughh Just out of curiosity I checked the price and it was about $6/LB :loco:

good times....

We ran into the same thing this weekend, with a BBQ team who cater. Their comp
BBQ is pretty good (hot & fresh), but what they were serving this weekend, if I had
to guess, was cooked at last week's competition. NOT GOOD. This weekend was
the chili cookoff and they decided to vend their BBQ; $6 for a sandwich & a bag
of potato chips.

It probably has to do with 99% of the venues dont allow folks to stay there all night
and cook, and in many of those areas you wouldn't want to stay there (not
particularly safe) overnight. So, unless you're able to cook a pork butt in 4 hours
(not realistic), you're stuck with warming up previously cooked meat.

I understand exactly what you mean about having to pre-cook for these types of events but, the freezer taste was not a weeks worth of freezer it was more like a years worth of freezer taste. And the second event where the BBQ tasted like a wadded up napkin covered in grease, well there is just no explanation for that nasty foolishness at all as far as I'm concerned. I know that am no judge, caterer or anything else of that nature. But, what I do know is that I am a fat man who loves BBQ and I have good and bad both at these types of events. All I was saying I don't understand how anyone with a conscious could serve that and charge what they charge and not think that their doing wrong. My other problem with it is that when someone does that at one of these types of events it makes some folks that are from parts of the world that BBQ is not as popular as it is in the state which I live (NC) think that all BBQ taste like that. I hope this post does not come off as combative because that is not how I mean for it to be but I can't seem to re-write to sound ay better to me.

It can be really bad at times. I've come across the same several times. I saw a post on here not long ago, Am I a bbq snob... I think I'm not.... but several friends of mine compete, (mine is not that quality by no means yet) but I know good Q from bad and some of these vendors just don't seem to care about their product. Most people don't know the difference. But those that do, walk away shaking their heads...wondering What The .. did I just eat.. :doh: Most I've gotten at outdoor events hits the trash pretty quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never do pulled pork for festivals , we stick with sliced and call it a hog roast/pork rolls for all the above reasons. Cook it faster and break out the meat slicer.

Not Just Vendors...

There is plenty of lousy BBQ to go around. Take Mickey D's "Pork Rib" Sandwich for example. Not to mention the BBQ restaurants that have no fire or smoke of any kind. As for BBQ teams; just beause they can do 4 meats for judging, does not mean they can cook for the general public. Too much lousy food, period.

Cooking for festivals and outdoor events can be tricky, there is certainly a skill set required to do it well. I have had things run the gamut, but, I have had some very good pulled pork and chopped beef sandwiches as well as some that I could not stand. I have to say, $4 is pretty cheap, even $6 sounds cheap to me. I have seen good pulled pork on a bun, and tri-tip on a roll going for $8 with a small bag of chips.

Did you take the sandwich(s) back after you tasted them? Did you ask for your money back?

I'm not doubting that it was lousy, but some people are under the impression that they cook up pretty good food when they could screw up a slice of toast. On the downside, there will always be vendors that whatever gets served is good enough.

Also, keep in mind that taste is very subjective. Some people think that a fine Italian meal comes from Olive Garden.

And I love McRib's...

Chris

The price charged at these events are high, but the vendor is not getting all of it. the vendor is charged a fee to even set up and then has to pay a percentage of the gross income, 35% or more.

Also, keep in mind that taste is very subjective. Some people think that a fine Italian meal comes from Olive Garden.

And I love McRib's...

Chris

Olive Garden is pretty good IMO but its hard to fark up pasta compared to something as dynamic as good Que.

and YUCK... you really like McRibs?

I can't see how trying to sell PP sandwich @ $6-8 and making it taste good, without cooking it any other way but low and slow, would taste good.

McRibs.... is that even real rib without the bone?

Did you take the sandwich(s) back after you tasted them? Did you ask for your money back?

I'm not doubting that it was lousy, but some people are under the impression that they cook up pretty good food when they could screw up a slice of toast. On the downside, there will always be vendors that whatever gets served is good enough.

And I love McRib's...

Chris

Hey its OK that you like McRibs as you are right, taste is subjective. However, the fact that a McRib sandwich which is flaked and formed pork that is warmed and covered with sauce is objectively not BBQ, much less good BBQ. Yet many will think of it as BBQ.

Hey its OK that you like McRibs as you are right, taste is subjective. However, the fact that a McRib sandwich which is flaked and formed pork that is warmed and covered with sauce is objectively not BBQ, much less good BBQ. Yet many will think of it as BBQ.

There's an entire camp of folks who are of the opinion that if it's covered
in BBQ sauce that it's BBQ, whether the sauce is on cardboard, fish,
yesterday's socks, turducken, what ever.... I salute them with McRib!!!

:icon_shy:-D:-D

Dang, and its fair season too! At fairs and such I stick to a tried and true local caterer called Hess BBQ. They always have a stand at local events, one of the best caterers around and the two owners compete, and do well. Midnight Smokers and Flying Porkers respectively. Midnight has had some top ten overall finishes at The Jack if I'm not mistaken. However, if I'm not grabbing their stuff I'll fork over for a good cheesesteak or sausage sandwich, harder to screw that stuff up lol.

I skipped the fair this year and just smoked tri tip and everything else we buy at the fair at home. Tri tip sandwich goes for about $10 at the fair.

Back