Question about infested Ash wood

dodgeramsst2003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi again all,

As I'm sure some of you know, SE michigan is in the emerald ash borer quarentine area. The good news is this type of wood is abundant, but sometimes infested, although they do cut down a lot just to stop the spread. So my question is, would any of you guys use ash that has the insect infestation to smoke with? I've found lots of it for free, but an a little iffy on whether I should use it or not. By the way, I'm a cheater, and have a smoky mountain gas burner, so I only use the wood for flaver. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I use alot of Ash wood but we don't have any bugs in ours. I wouldn't be afraid to use it myself. The bigger question is do you want to use ash for flavor? Ash has a very light mild flavor. I usually mix mine with oak or hickory to get a better flavor.

Bottom line....use what you got.

I found some large black ants in some apple I was splittin. After a little more choppin, I found some of the wood was nasty on the inside. Those pieces were tossed but I used the ones that that were not all nasty on the inside.

Use it all, fire will "diffuse" any bad crap. And as Joe would say "Free wood is the best wood"!

If it was dry wood and infested with the odd bug I'd use it for fuel (but not flavour), if it's damp or there is any mould I wouldn't use it at all.

If in doubt ..............

the ash borer is actually just under the bark of the tree as I understand it. So I assume if it's barkless...you probably be ok. 'Sides..little beetle smoke might be good! :)

I've got a stack of hickory that is infested with Powder Post Beetles. I have used it with NO adverse effects. Now, these are very small beetles so no big deal. If it were infested with Old House Borers, that would be another story as those things are as big as the butt of a cigar!

Who knows...wood infesting beetles could could be the next flavor craze!

Beetle Rubs.

Beetle Glazes.

Beetle Sauces.

Endless possibilities!

Ken

IMHO the safe answer is do not use the wood. If you feel adventuresome try it, but you do so at your own risk.

The bugs are delicious toasted. As for smoking with Ash wood, ain't ya got any other alternatives?

TexasGuppie said:
I've got a stack of hickory that is infested with Powder Post Beetles. I have used it with NO adverse effects. Now, these are very small beetles so no big deal. If it were infested with Old House Borers, that would be another story as those things are as big as the butt of a cigar!

Who knows...wood infesting beetles could could be the next flavor craze!

Beetle Rubs.

Beetle Glazes.

Beetle Sauces.

Endless possibilities!

Ken

Beetles will give your glaze that cherry red color you oh so want:

carmine - Natural red color that comes from the dried female cochineal beetle. It is sometimes used to color lip gloss, lipsticks, and other cosmetics.

Maybe if you smoke wiht infested wood it will help with your smoke-ring???

Thank you

Thanks everyone for your replies. I read that it gives a light smoke taste, but have never actually used any of it. I think I will try some and see how I like it, I was just worried if there were any health risks involved with the bugs. anyways, I think it might make a good fuel when I get my stick burner built this winter, with some other wood for more flavor.

Chris

I'm not chittin you about the toasted worms. Smoke dried might even be better.

PS: Let us know how the Ash wood is.

hrmm.. anyone try pre-heating the wood to try and drive out the remaining live critters? it might make this infestation thing go away..

do what midnight says. he is on the right track, here in south dakota that is the road we follow.

About the preheating

They do kiln dry this stuff and turn it into shovel handles and stuff, that is the only way it is deemed safe to transport out of the area, but I don't know how hot you would have to get it to drive them out. There is a place not far from here that does the kiln process, maybe I'll stop and have a talk with them.

Chris

Back