I'm bored, time for a poll. how to you set up your kettle......

kettle smoke setup

• ring of fire

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • divider, coals to the side

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • smokenator

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • other (oh do tell)

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
For smoking things like ribs, brisket, and butts?

1) ring of fire

B) divider, coals to the side

T/F) smokenator

IV) I have ways

I like to use the Weber charcoal holders, or homemade ones I have made. Hinged Weber grates work good for replenishing charcoal, and wood.

Divider method, making full use of the hinged access on the cooking grate, although I've done ROF the last 2 cooks- made life easy peasy...

I have no Smokentater, so every way but that......

Don't mean to be difficult, hard to actually vote when it happens all different ways......

Ribs, a lot of times, two short arcs, running opposite ways so the grate can be rotated & meat's never directly over coals...............

So, maybe IV) I have ways?

No, no let me see..... 1) Ring of Fire....yeah, that's it....I'll go with that one....

Except for the times when it's coals banked w/ no divider & shread is used for tons 'o 'Turds......

Skewers criss-crossed thru a turkey breast....
BBQ3-10-2012003.jpg

Shread thing, for medium length cooks, used for small ribs, loins, several batches of 'Turds & such in a row......

KenBBQ4242011048.jpg

KenBBQ4242011055.jpg

Alternate arcs for ribs.....

April22BeefPorkRibs001.jpg

April22BeefPorkRibs010.jpg

Banked, ribs..........

LastSundayApril2012021.jpg

The usual ring, black walnut & Stubb's w/ chips of lump all over the top for burn insurance..................

LastSundayApril2012012.jpg

I've seen a few folks here that use expanded or solid rings to contain the coal ring....that seems like a grate idea..............

Last edited:
I made a divider with expanded steel and I've doubled up on the coal grates turning the top one 90 degrees to the bottom one so as not to lose smaller pieces of the lit coals...
Makes grilling life so much easier....

Oak_T_Bone1.jpg

I bank my coals, always. I use a foil drip pan placed over center, held in place with small chunks of wood used as spacers wedged between the pan and the wall of the grill opposite the fire. So the space available for coals is about the same as if I used a small Weber charcoal basket.
This setup has worked for every smoke I have had.

I have no Smokentater, so every way but that......

Don't mean to be difficult, hard to actually vote when it happens all different ways......

Ribs, a lot of times, two short arcs, running opposite ways so the grate can be rotated & meat's never directly over coals...............

So, maybe IV) I have ways?

No, no let me see..... 1) Ring of Fire....yeah, that's it....I'll go with that one....

Except for the times when it's coals banked w/ no divider & shread is used for tons 'o 'Turds......

You must not be familiar with my penalty for indecisive poll answers.

I go back and forth from three methods. Ring of fire, divide and smokenator. They all work great for me.

Here was yesterday using my performer score I received Friday. Two full grates of ribs.

I used tooth picks since I had 4 different rubs on the ribs. This way I knew which was rub was on the ribs when done.

Last edited:
I can't begin to describe the number of ways I have set up the kettle

Coals to one side using three fire bricks. Foil pan or just foil.

You must not be familiar with my penalty for indecisive poll answers.

Ok, geez.....no I'm not.....and I didn't see this ominous warning 'cause I was busy cooking dinner & adding pics.....Uh Oh...............:shock:

I use all of the methods, depending on the cook situation. Mainly I use the banked/indirect for the majority of my kettle cooks.

This is a great poll.

Matt

Well it wouldn't seem right after you posted those great pics but failure to get off the fence may result in lasers :laser:

Or a ton of bricks to the dome.:pile:

But since your so sharing I think I'll give you a :hug:

Oh, whew !!!

I was thinking I would have to post up a thread involving the simply stunning hyena brisket I cooked for dinner to actually squeak out of trouble.......

Sneak Peek:

HyenaBrisketwTaterZilla029.jpg

(Droop Test)

I prefer the ring of fire for longer cooks. All my kettles have the one touch and I can't seem to control temperatures worth a crap unless I use the ring of fire. It is also nice because you can constantly keep smoke going by spacing out the wood chunks on top, I really like this feature.

If I am cooking something short like bratwurst or some appetizers like wings or ABTs, I will simply put the coals to one side.

Coals to one side using three fire bricks. Foil pan or just foil.

Do you foil over the entire bottom to force the air up under the coals?

I've seen people do that to great effect ........

Back