MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #76
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm thinking this throwdown is the ultimate challenge. I'm thinking seafood. I'm thinking scallops cooked like a farking brisket. This could completely revolutionize the world of seafood. Scallops cooked low and slow for eight farking hours. I'm thinking a mild smoke, like pecan -- or maybe a sweet smoke, like apple.

It's time to make history!

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #77
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

CD, that is farking redonkulous. there would be no smoke ring for starters (thats where the flavor is, duh), and I seriously doubt you could slice them across the grain and get get them to stay together...
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #78
Aussie griller
Found some matches.

Hi guys, This aussie is trying his third pork butt in an old KAMADO(japanese) bought off ebay.
The first two went so well, i will continue to use the texas sweet rub i bought at a local "american" store!
My partener and i are doing the old routr 66 in August(got about twenty five days to cross, any good tips on bbq places i can visit or if i am in the wrong thread, can you redirect me please.
This is one of my first posts and i am still trying to navagate!!
Wish me luck with the BUTT!!(4kg/8lb)
Aussie griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #79
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Welcome! I'll help ya' out!

You've found your way into the dodgy part of the forum, all sort of unspeakable things take place in this mad house!

I think the spot you're looking for first is "Cattle Call" located here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

best of luck with your butt!

Edit: be sure to post some pics of your komado, there are several others around here sportin' K Joe's too! You're in good company! But look out for the other Aussies running around the place, something just ain't right about them... 'specially that Smokin aussie fella... "Bill" I think he calls himself
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #80
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie griller View Post
Hi guys, This aussie is trying his third pork butt in an old KAMADO(japanese) bought off ebay.
The first two went so well, i will continue to use the texas sweet rub i bought at a local "american" store!
My partener and i are doing the old routr 66 in August(got about twenty five days to cross, any good tips on bbq places i can visit or if i am in the wrong thread, can you redirect me please.
This is one of my first posts and i am still trying to navagate!!
Wish me luck with the BUTT!!(4kg/8lb)

Pretty sneaky Aussie griller. I see a butt cooked like a brisket on the way. Why didn't I think of that. Here I sit with a whole pile of mushy apples.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #81
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

It's 16* here and 8" of snot, but my UDS is coming up to temp and my entry should go on in about 20 mins....

In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out the word to the song, "Like a Brisket" sung by Madonna.

Like a brisket...
Smoked for the very first time. Ohhahahahaoahao
Like a bris..is...isket... blows my mind...

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #82
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

In a recent thread, someone posted that their Pork Loin came out tough and asked why: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=124283

Of course everyone said that he overcooked it and the only way to cook a pork loin is to ~140* and pull. Having memorized most of the roadmap threads, I threw a flag and called foul. Back in 2003 (!?!) Brother Willkat98 suggest smoking to 160*, foil, and smoke it for another hour until it is probe tender. Willkat98 called this his version of TK brisket method:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97074

I believe that Biggie's response was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Are you suggesting we cook Pork Loin like Brisket? For fark's sake people!
Not me. Brother Willkat. But, being that there is a Cook it Like a Brisket TD going on, I had to find out.

We got 8" of snot last night and it is currently 16* outside. What better weather for smoking? But the Maverick wasn't liking it.

8# Loin from Sam's.

I cut it in half and then injected. After a short rest in the fridge, I laid down a base rub using Loveless Cafe rub. This was a recent gift. It's pretty tasty, has a bit of heat and a lot of herbs and spices. This was a little heavier than I normally do briskets.

This being my Brisket method, next up is an almost shake and layer of Kosher Salt and Course Pepper.

And, when cooking brisket you better be smoke oak:

Onto the smoker at 250*. Whoa snot. A few pieces of brisket point there too for a little burnt end appetizer.

3 hours at 250* and it was 160*. I wrapped in foil and added ~1/4 c of apple juice. Another 1.5 hours on the smoker and the temp probe read 201* and it was probing tender. Pulled and into a cooler for an hour. It was absolutely beautiful when I opened up that foil. I couldn't believe how much liquid was in there.

Plated up with a little of the juice drizzled over it.

All I can say is "Oh My Farking Word!" It was pretty amazing. Tender tender tender. I cut it with a fork, but it wasn't mush. Tons of different complex flavor layers. Tons of goooood oak smoke flavor. The smoke flavor was amazing. And the rub had good penetration and had a good bbq, herb, heat flavor. It was the perfect rub choice. My wife was shocked at how good it was.

I will definitely make this again. Total cook and rest was like 5 hours. Perfect to throw in at noon and serve at 5:00 and it looks all fancy and tastes fancy. Everyone should try this.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #83
Bigdog

Omg that looks great!! My good friend kcquer was always telling me I gotta do one of these. I finally did one but not as good as yours. Great job!
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #84
caseydog

This is giving me new confidence for my brisket cooked scallops.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #85
gtr

Fark! That looks great! Just bought a big ole pork loin at Costco today - they're on special Some of that may get this treatment. By "may" I mean "will".
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #86
bigabyte

That looks really damn good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #87
nojail
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hello, cooking just my third pork butt, getting ready for some football. Finally getting the hang of my primo after two+ years. Will post a picture after it's done and then when "pulled". Thanks, nojail
nojail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #88
Elrik
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooked like A brisket!

Please be gentle, this is my first throwdown

Ok, so the throwdown topic is "Cook it like a Brisket" and everyone is talking about cooking like you would the classic BBQ brisket. But really, if you look at the topic, adding the "a" makes it about the cut of meat, and not it's most synonymous dish. Bearing that in mind, I thought of other great dishes that utilize the brisket.

Two of my favorite dishes with brisket don't translate well to BBQ (Pho and Taiwanese Beef noodle soup), so I started to think about my other bbq related love, charcuterie. Brisket is used in two of my all time favorite cured sandwich meats, Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat. One of the very first things I ever smoked after I got my ECB some 12 years ago was Steven Raichlen's turkey pastrami. I'd recently seen a post over on the Broil King Keg forums that reminded me of this tasty treat, and i figured it would be a fun recipe to revisit with one of my new cookers. Without further ado here is my inaugural throwdown entry, Smoked Turkey Pastrami:

All the ingredients assembled. The one change I made to Raichlen's recipe was to swap some of the salt out for cure #1. I figured it would help with a good sandwich meat texture and also keep it safe.

Breast all rubbed down and ready to sit for a day.

Next night after work fired up the keg to cook it off with a bit of pecan wood. Trusty Maverick showing it was just about ready to pull off. Cooker settled in just over 275 for about 2 hours.

Lid opened and pastrami ready to be pulled out.

Let it cool down and threw it in the fridge for a day. Here it is out and ready to slice. Love how the big chunks of crushed coriander and pepper just adhered to the breast with the rest of the spice rub. My mouth was seriously salivating at this point.

After it was all sliced up I couldn't help myself and had to check if it passes the brisket finger test I have seen others do... yup, she's a keeper!

Pastrami can be enjoyed many ways, and I've always loved it in a breakfast sandwich. Here was Saturday's breakfast sandwich: Egg, Pastrami, Horsey Mayo and a bit of spring greens on a ciabatta baguette with some melted cheddar. mmmm so good. Finished it off with a spring green salad with homemade caesar dressing. Great start to the weekend!

Here's my favorite shot of the finished sandwich. The meat has a nice kick from the pepper and coriander, and has just the right amount of firmness. So much better than store bought, I really have to work on making my own sandwich meats more often.

Thanks for looking!
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #89
bigabyte

I love it when folks think outside of the box!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #90
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow, that is a great idea and a delicious sammie
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brisketless