A very piggy Christmas! (Pic Heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So a client of mine came to me yesterday asking to smoke a pig for him last minute. I didn't really want to be cooking all Xmas eve but I told him I'd do it. And to make a short time frame even sorter he wanted me to break the pig down to primals. He supplied the 60lb pig I just have to butcher and smoked it. I want to be honest I wanted to keep it for myself when It was finished! Quite disappointed I didnt steal a piece :doh::becky::heh:

So anyways since I was breaking down the pig I decided to do it 2 ways, one way with my home made pork rub (hog dirt) and the other with a garlic herb wet rub. I smoked with almond & lychee for about 7 hours total @ 250 with a blast of heat at the end to crisp up the skin!

So here's the pig breakdown, I received the pig in halves. Took off the front and back legs and cleaned them up them removed the spine and ribs off the loin and seasoned and rolled. This is what went down:

1/2 pig
fc4f40fd.jpg

1015b94b.jpg

My Hog Dirt
03058e1d.jpg

Loin filled with trim meat & seasoned with rub
d6366327.jpg

All dressed up and rubbed
13631982.jpg

892d2f72.jpg

Heres what I used for the herb paste:
4 heads of garlic
ginger
sweet basil
rosemary
thyme
scallion
parsley
Onion (1/4)
Red pepper flakes

Threw it in the processor with 1.5 cup olive oil, the juice of one orange & a splash of apple cider vinegar (about 1/4 cup) and about 3-4 tb of kosher salt.

83990794.jpg

bdfad690.jpg

a Loin for the family xmas lunch (from a separate pig seasoned with the same herb mix)
a18777b9.jpg

...and rolled
fa2ce959.jpg

front and back legs seasoned with herb mix
2fec19a5.jpg

2 loins (the bigger one is mine)
64eb3a7f.jpg

On to the smoker now
4aae4ab5.jpg

about 2 hours in
2d183782.jpg

9d27d59b.jpg

Oh yeah some chicken for my Christmas lunch went on as well (to go with my big loin)
24bcabaf.jpg

almost ready
e1579f15.jpg

All done
e5a67ce8.jpg

Crispy skin! :thumb:
61bb5fe1.jpg

And the chicken:
b2c8dbde.jpg

Whew... another long day! Thanks for looking guys. I hope you all have a great Christmas. Stay safe, give love & love life!

Merry Christmas!!
Cheers

Oh my, no shipping to 52405, how much to your place? Hook me up!

Great spread. :icon_smile_tongue:

I am completely speechless!
THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your client has got to be a repeat customer! And if he wasn't, he is now!! The quality and appearance is fantastic to say the least. Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

WOW!!! That is the only way to do a whole pig. Apparently you are a very skill butcher.

OMG That looks Great. Are you giving Classes in this fine art work of cooking, If so sign me up.

Merry Christmas to all.

I just want to pick up one of this legs ala fred flintstone. Looks awesome.

Thanks so much guys! Yes they Loved the pork. Started eating it as soon as I dropped it off, I hope there's some left for today! Hope you all have a great day!

Merry Christmas!
Cheers

WOW..... that looks fantastic......MMMMMMMMMMM.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm :clap2:
Merry Christmas to you and yours too :-D

Back