Cowboy Southern Style lump on clearance at Lowe's.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
$12.97 for 18lb bag. I've never tried Cowboy brand but I've heard the southern style is supposed to be better. Is this a good deal?

I’ve used it. What I had was really good.

After the last bag I bought I swore I wouldn't buy another, hard pass for me, I'd say it's no worse than RO lump though, which is another hard pass. Too many small pieces, I think over half the bag was pretty much worthless and if it was 25 cents to the pound I might be tempted.

Same experience as Kevin for me.
I stick with kingsford briquettes.

After the last bag I bought I swore I wouldn't buy another, hard pass for me, I'd say it's no worse than RO lump though, which is another hard pass. Too many small pieces, I think over half the bag was pretty much worthless and if it was 25 cents to the pound I might be tempted.
Sounds like the handling of the bags was pretty bad. That's the one drawback to lump that I don't like. The more it's handled the more it gets pulverized. What about the good pieces? Did they cook well? I'm thinking of going to Lowe's and offering $10 per bag for all of them. It is a "clearance" and I'm willing to clear them out. 22 bags left.

Any weird stuff I’ve ever found was in lump. Never in Ozark Oak seldom if ever in B&B, maybe a random rock but that’s unusual. But never in briquettes. Ever. I’ll throw lump out if it has insulation and never go back. Period. I’ve never found insulation in Cowboy and I like the way it smells.

There are those lump brands Ill never buy again.

Any weird stuff I’ve ever found was in lump. Never in Ozark Oak seldom if ever in B&B, maybe s random rock but that’s unusual b But never in briquettes. Ever. I’ll throw lumo out if it has insulation and never go back. Period.

There are those lump brands Ill never buy again.
I love B&B hickory. I just finished the last of 6 bags but none available locally yet.

Sounds like the handling of the bags was pretty bad. That's the one drawback to lump that I don't like. The more it's handled the more it gets pulverized. What about the good pieces? Did they cook well? I'm thinking of going to Lowe's and offering $10 per bag for all of them. It is a "clearance" and I'm willing to clear them out. 22 bags left.
Could be but I threw away a good 4lbs and that's probably being conservative. There weren't a whole lot of large pieces in the bag that I can remember and it wasn't the 1st bag of Cowboy I've ever purchased, just after the last one I said no more which was just a couple of months ago.

Hope you like it, price is still too high for what I have gotten in the past imo.

I actually like the stuff. My local Costco has a 34lb bag for $22 though.

Well Shucks, William...
You gonna eat it, or burn it?
Bouncin down the road in a Semi could tend to bruise up even charcoal. :wink:

Thanks for the input. I will probably wait for the 30lb Western. For the price I was impressed with it.

I’ve used it. What I had was really good.

I too use Cowboy Southern Style, never had any bad product.

The small bits are not a product of the manufacturing process like WilliamKY stated, but rather a product of poor handing. They are usually stacked on pallets and one can easily select the bags of choice from the center of the pallet stack.

Get to know the store manager and he/she will even let you pick from a virgin wrapped pallet. A little BBQ gift can go a long way in these situations allowing you choice selections.

Even managers of the meat departments at the local store call me before they reduce prices for the public and will hold the product for me until I arrive.

enhance

Last edited:
Back