BBQ guru vs pitmaster IQ

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok summer is almost over for me and when I go back to work I can't enjoy those sleepless nights checking my smoker every hour or so... So I'm interested in an automatic blower for my UDS and possibly trying it out on my JOS.

What makes the DigiQ so much more valuable than the IQ110? I could buy 3-4 IQ110s for the price of a DigiQ so what makes them so much better...

Someone sell me one way or the other on these 2 systems...

FWIW-- I ponied up for the DigiQ only because it had stellar quality ratings, and I have had terrible luck with my equipment breaking after only a few uses (See: Maverick). I've owned it for about a year and have probably 20 cooks with it, and it has turned out to be everything they advertised.

The IQ seems like a good unit. I just would have lower expectations on longevity.

-Bastid

IMHO, a fairer comparison would be between the IQ110 & the BBQ Guru PartyQ. The prices on both units are about the same. I looked at both & went with the PartyQ. The main point for me was having a digital temp display. Although I have only used my PartyQ on two short cooks (chicken & ribs) on my UDS, I am very pleased with the result. Looking forward to seeing how it does on a long cook like butts or brisket.

I have had a DigiQ II for four years or so and I have had no issues. It is rock solid and I would recommend it to anyone in the market. Based on my experience I would look at your budget to determine which Guru product fits best.

Dale

I personally own stoker but used a friends IQ. I love the simplicity of it but it takes FOREVER to come up to temperature. The fan is much smaller so I am sure that is the reason.

I forgot to add the stoker to this convo.. Thanks.

I could see longevity being an issue. But at that price u could just by 3 and have some for backup. Lol.

The fan size could be an issue. That would make sense. I'm thinking on a UDS it wouldn't take much air tho.

Ok summer is almost over for me and when I go back to work I can't enjoy those sleepless nights checking my smoker every hour or so... So I'm interested in an automatic blower for my UDS and possibly trying it out on my JOS.

What makes the DigiQ so much more valuable than the IQ110? I could buy 3-4 IQ110s for the price of a DigiQ so what makes them so much better...

Someone sell me one way or the other on these 2 systems...

3-4 IQ's?? What Guru package are you looking at :razz:? 4 IQ's would be about $600. But yeah you really aren't comparing apples to apples. As olewarthog pointed out that the guru party is the better comparison. But the DigiQ simply has more features. So do you need the extra features is the main question?? Can't help sell if we don't know what things your looking to buy in an automated system. IQ 110 just runs a fan.

I've used a digi dx on my WSM for about a year and never had any problems. It has a pit probe and a meat probe. The digi indicates both actual and target temps for both pit and meat. It also has a few other features, such as the ability to ramp the pit down so as to lessen the chances of overcooking when away from the pit, an alarm, and maybe another one or two I've never used.

About 3 months ago I got a Pitmaster IQ 110 for one of my Weber kettles that I use for low and slow when I need more capacity than my WSM 18 provides. It's a simpler unit and only includes a pit probe. Pitmaster has since come out with a slightly different unit that seems to allow more control over the fan (came out about a week or so after I received mine). You can set the target temp for the pit but you really don't get a reading of the actual temp on the PM. It uses a system over lights to let you know when your 10 degrees or 50 degrees off target or when there's a problem. Like my digi, the PM has worked well so far.

The digi has more features and is built a little better (metal rather than plastic). I also like the position the digi adapter fits my WSM better than the PM, although I haven't had any problems with PM.

If budget isn't a problem, I'd go with the digi. If budget is a problem and you don't need the digi's meat probe and other features, then I'd go with the PM (or maybe one of the other alternatives). There is a pretty big price difference. I really can't speak to durability since I haven't owned either for very long. Both have worked as advertised for me.

I went with the iQue 110 because I like the fact that the unit blows air through a hose to the smoker intake. BBQ guru controllers hook the fan directly to the smoker, and on my WSM, the fan would have been sticking down and out where my feet would be moving. I just KNEW I would kick the thing and break it.

I also like that I can hang it under my work table, out of the sun and a light rain shower.

picture.php

As for airflow, mine works fine. I've heard about some people having trouble getting up to temp because they started with too little lit charcoal.

I've had my iQue 110 for about a year, and it has been dependable.

CD

I have an IQ110. I have used it for several cooks. 2 times I had briskets going for 22-24 hours and never touched my smoker and it stayed at 225 degrees.
*mine is the newer model that you can control the air intake.

Would I like a digital display? Yes.
Can I complain about the performance of the IQ110 in any way? No.

To get the digital display and stay around the same price I have thought about getting the Auber Instruments temp controller which I have heard nothing but good things about. Even their customer service is suppose to be good.

Also, get your UDS up to temp by opening your intakes until you get about 10 degrees or so from your target temp, then turn the IQ110 on. No need to light 5 coals and then have your IQ110 (or any other temp controller) struggle bring it up to 250 degrees. Im not so sure that is what they are made for.

I forgot to add the stoker to this convo.. Thanks.

I could see longevity being an issue. But at that price u could just by 3 and have some for backup. Lol.

The fan size could be an issue. That would make sense. I'm thinking on a UDS it wouldn't take much air tho.

A UDS would require much more air than the WSM I ran it on. Don't get me wrong, I like the PRICE and the PRODUCT.

IQ110....for the money, you can't beat it. Never had any issues with my two units, and getting ready to add another. I also have a Guru, but it hasn't seen any use since I discovered the Pitmaster.

this is bbq here, no need for a digital display for me! I've got the iq for my large egg and LOVE it. Im sure the other controllers would work great also. But for the money, it was a no brainer. Never had a problem coming up to temps, or overshooting temps, it always knows if I open the lid. And if it does overshoot, it always seems to come down. If I set it to 250, the dome almost always reads right around 250.

I have 2 IQs that are hooked up to a WSM (used to use the cone provided, have since drilled in a nipple with a valve) and a UDS. My experience is I can get either up to temp in 30 minutes, and once locked, I don't have to touch it till the meat is off and ready to put away. I've run close to 20 hours on the WSM (18) using my IQ and never touched the fire.

Both mine are gen 1s (no damper). The only issue I've ever had with them is if something happens and the temp gets out of control, because there isn't an automated damper on the unit air will continue to get drawn through even if the fan is off and it's difficult to bring back down.

Well I think I'm gonna go with an IQ110... I have a maverick to help monitor the pit/meat temps. I just couldn't get my wife to jump onboard with a $400-$500 unit...

Maybe one day when I win BBQ Pitmasters! Lol

Anyone have working pit probe for the original Guru? I need one bad. Thanks.

Doc

i have 2 cyber q's run 4 WSM's with them and i love them... i just can put into words how awesome these units are...

Back