SeanBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have wanted to own a Rebel 23 or 28 for sometime now but never had the $$. Finally, I saved up enough to purchase one but discovered they aren't being made anymore so my attentions have turned to other fabricators.

Recently I discovered SouthernQ and Deep South cookers. I am very interested in the Limo Junior from SouthernQ. Features look good and price is spot on. Anyone have any experience they can share regarding SouthernQ Limo Junior? Hows it cook? What are the temp fluctuations like top to bottom? Heat up times initial or after you open and close the door?

I am not a Pro by any means. Been cooking with WSMs, electrics, Weber Performers for six years or so now. I am a certified BBQ judge for SLBS, have competed once or twice and just plain like my Q so I want to step into a gravity feed cooker.

I know there are many out there and that each person has their favorites and reasons for that. I am totally open to hearing any insight or opinion you may have and will appreciate all the shared experience.

SoutherQ and Deep South look like excellent alternatives and several here own these cookers. Alternately you can check Assassin smokers which I believe are almost identical to Rebel save for the side firebox but Assassin will put the chute on the side at no extra charge if you would like that set-up. Contact Jeff at Assassin.

SoutherQ and Deep South look like excellent alternatives and several here own these cookers. Alternately you can check Assassin smokers which I believe are almost identical to Rebel save for the side firebox but Assassin will put the chute on the side at no extra charge if you would like that set-up. Contact Jeff at Assassin.

What he said , I have one and it's an excellent smoker. Definitely the most bang for the buck!

Jeff at Assassin made the cookers for Rebel. I wonder why he's no longer making them?

I have a SouthernQ Limo Elite and it is a fantastic cooker. I saw one of the first Limo Jr. that Scott built and I wouldn't expect any less from it.

Thought about Assassin Smokers and can't argue they are good smokers. Heard nothing but good about them. Since I started searching the web for alternatives to the Rebel I've learned of many other great options so just keeping choices open for now. I am leaning toward the Limo Jr for now but that doesn't mean something else won't be in the running.

Thanks for the X2 on the Assassins...I'll take another look at them and may give Jeff a ring.

If you weren't set on a gravity fed I'd say drive 17 minutes to St Louis BBQ store and look at Humphreys. Many in stock - no wait, no shipping costs.

Thanks for the X2 on the Assassins...I'll take another look at them and may give Jeff a ring.
I don't own an Assassin but I have talked to Jeff about his grill, good guy great to talk to.

If you weren't set on a gravity fed I'd say drive 17 minutes to St Louis BBQ store and look at Humphreys. Many in stock - no wait, no shipping costs.

I have researched Humphries and they look good. One thing I've noticed is the assembly of them doesn't look as "clean" to me. One thing in particular is the inner and outer part of the cooker isn't seamlessly welded. Wish it was. Maybe I will take a closer look in person wouldn't hurt.

In the end and as of now I am pretty set on a gravity fed smoker but hey if it's a good cooker they all deserve a look right.

So I made a decision on a smoker. It was a tough one but in the end I decided on a Southern Q Limo Junior over an Assassin. The price of each was a definite decision swayer. Sizes are similar, insulation is the same, and function is similar. Both builders were very nice to talk to and informative on their product. Ill get a review out on the Limo Junior when she arrives. Havent seen many of them on the forum or around here in St Louis so will be nice to write up for everyone.

So I made a decision on a smoker. It was a tough one but in the end I decided on a Southern Q Limo Junior over an Assassin. The price of each was a definite decision swayer. Sizes are similar, insulation is the same, and function is similar. Both builders were very nice to talk to and informative on their product. Ill get a review out on the Limo Junior when she arrives. Havent seen many of them on the forum or around here in St Louis so will be nice to write up for everyone.

Good choice! As i mentioned, I love my Limo Elite, and Scott is great to work with!

Congrats can't wait to see your new cooker and review.

OK, so, like a woman (no offense please ladies, I speak from my own experience with my family) I changed directions last minute. I had been really worried about cost and my wife, God love her was doing her best not to yell at me, i could tell.

So, the Limo Junior is out and I spoke to Jeff at Assassin and put in the order for the Assassin 24. I think the customer service and attention to detail from Jeff at Assassin won me over. Also, once I added in the guru with Southern Q, i wasnt that far off in price.

Thank you again to everyone for the input, it helped in my choice. Also, I do appreciate the excitement regarding the new smoker arrival and review. I will still follow through, only difference now is it will be on a Ruby Red Metallic Assassin 24.

I think you were in a no lose situation going with either one.

Guru? Are you gonna mix wood chunks with charcoal in the chute? If not you have to repeatedly add a split to the burn box like a stick burner.

Curious if you decided to have Jeff move the charcoal chute to the side vs. the back.

I did ask him to move it to the side. Many reasons but main is for storing (closer to wall) and ease of management if adding more charcoal or checking it out.

Guru? Are you gonna mix wood chunks with charcoal in the chute? If not you have to repeatedly add a split to the burn box like a stick burner.

Will be using the iQ120. This is my first gravity feed so any tips are appreciated. I do know I will be adding a chunk here and there through out the chute. Ill also test adding a few chunks to the ash pan as I have seen and heard of people doing that. Seems to work well for some.

Will be using the iQ120. This is my first gravity feed so any tips are appreciated. I do know I will be adding a chunk here and there through out the chute. Ill also test adding a few chunks to the ash pan as I have seen and heard of people doing that. Seems to work well for some.
Jeff should be able to give you some good tips

Back