Backyard comps

Pigs on Fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just out of plain ole courisoty, how many of you who aren't pro competitors would compete more in the backyard competitions if they cooked all four meats?

Let's say a $150 entry fee for all four meats and a $500-600 GC payout with paying $200, 100 and 50 to the top three meats.

Just wondering. I think I would have started out in backyard if they cooked all four meats. It would have been more economical to start. IMO, it's not worth the time/effort to cook chicken and ribs.

Pigs, I'll assume you're referring to the KCBS all 4 meats. I think a large portion of
teams do a non-sanctioned comp (ala. back yard) or two to start. For me, we dont
any longer because the judging is willy-nilly and categories change at the last
minute, etc. It's not worth it (for us). We now only compete in sanctioned cookoffs,
and rarely a KCBS event because I really dont care for chicken nor the 30 minute
turn-in windows nor the greenery. I'll stick with FBA, GBA, and my preference but
expensive MBN. So, to your direct question, the answer is no, we wouldn't compete
more in backyard comps if they cooked all four meats.

We are a brand new team and have only done 1 backyard and 1 KCBS comp. We would do more backyard events if they did the 4 KCBS meats and ran it like a KCBS comp. It would be really good practice for us green teams before jumping in with the seasoned big boys.

Back