Half chickens for competitions on big green egg

B

bigracksbbq

Bought a medium size big egg with bbq guru temp control. Had lackluster results with chicken at recent comps with one of the other guys doing them, so decided id give it a shot myself.

Never used a big green egg, will be firing it up daily for next 10 days before next comp. Any temp suggestions for half chicken, 350, 375, 400?

I of course, brine, inject, and have a decent flavor profile.

I cook chicken at 300 - 325 indirect with good results.

What type of competitions are you cooking? What do you have to turn in?

I like to cook my chicken at 300ish raised direct.

I cook halves and spatchcocked at 400F or more, offset, covered in kettle. I tend to rub them pretty heavily and wrap them real tight for an hour before cooking.

At the eagle practice we had the ole drum smoker at 265.

but I would listen to these guys, they rock for info and they're good people.

I like to cook my chicken at 300ish raised direct.

I do the same but 325-350. Here in N Texas, it seems the glaze is the key. Other than that, a juicy chicken that taste great cold will win.

You can probably do 3 halves on the med. I do 4 on my large.

Here's a 4th place from a year or so ago with no glaze. We finished at 450 and was cooked in less than an hour.
4thplaceKellerLions2008.jpg

I may forgo the glaze next comp for giggles. I always cook 3-4 halves do to higher heat can bust skins, or larger comps that we have to turn in 2 halves.

I've always had good results with chicken at 375. The higher temp will crisp the skin with good color and the meat will not dry out. A half chicken will cook in less than an hour.

Back