My Asian Tour

Paulmark

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I haven't done much cooking lately. The weather, and a freezer full of left over’s, which my son won’t touch. So I finally did a rack of ribs a couple of days ago, very tasty, but a lot of left over’s. I decided to use the ribs to try some Vietnamese egg rolls (cha gio, pronounced ji Yah), I also did some ground turkey Chinese shu mei, and skewered Korean chicken. The rolls turned out ok; I tried using rice paper wraps instead of the flour based wraps I usually use. In my opinion don’t use the rice paper wraps for frying, (better used for the spring rolls). The shu mei (made in both Japan and China) were very good, you use the lettuce in the steamer to keep them from sticking (steam for 15 minutes) The skewered chicken, good. The “Korean” sauce is pretty much like your standard teriyaki.
I made two dipping sauces, Nuac Cham, (fish sauce, lime juice, water, chili,garlic,sugar,and grated carrot). A soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic mixture for the shu mei.
AsianTrio004.jpg

Good ol' ribs with tater salad and cheese toast.
AsianTrio009.jpg

Left over ribs.
AsianTrio007.jpg

Most of the ingredients
AsianTrio008.jpg

The Korean marinade.
AsianTrio011.jpg

Tree ear or wood ear mushrooms, very different,but good.Lucky to get fresh.
AsianTrio017.jpg

Some of the ingredients for the rolls
AsianTrio019.jpg

Assembled filling for the rolls with props to Simply Marvelous
AsianTrio021.jpg

Some of the stuff for the Shu-mei
AsianTrio025.jpg

Shu-mei ingredients ready to assemble

AsianTrio033.jpg

Shu-mei ready to go in the steamer

AsianTrio040.jpg

Everything ready to cook.
AsianTrio048-1.jpg

Double decker steamer loaded and steaming on my wok.There is a lid:smile:

AsianTrio050.jpg

Rolls frying in peanut oil.

AsianTrio053.jpg

Chicken grilling
AsianTrio060.jpg

Final plate, not pictured is the dipping sauce for the shu-mei, rolls can be eaten like a lettuce wrap with cilantro, basil, cucumber and dipped in the sauce pictured. I'm going to do the rest of the rolls using a flour based lumpia(Filipino) wraps. Thanks for looking it was fun.

Wow, that was a lot of cooking, those shumai and egg rolls are a pain to make, Nice plate at the end of the journey.

That's some really excellent pron there... I love the use of the Asian ingredients. It's way forward with fusing Asian and American Q. Fantastic effort!

Holy Crap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I want some :!::!::!:

That looks so good...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..mmmm

That's cooking!:eusa_clap
Excellent final plate!

Wow, that was a lot of cooking, those shumai and egg rolls are a pain to make, Nice plate at the end of the journey.
Thank you landarc, yes kinda labor intersive, but fun. Funny the spelling difference. The recipe I looked up on line spelled my way but your way is far more common and exactally the same when I looked it up in my asain cookbook it's spelled your way, I stand corrected:smile:

That's some really excellent pron there... I love the use of the Asian ingredients. It's way forward with fusing Asian and American Q. Fantastic effort!
Thank you very much:biggrin:

Holy Crap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I want some :!::!::!:

That looks so good...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..mmmm
If you lived closer, I'd gladly share:mrgreen: thanks a lot.

I just showed that to my wife and told her that is why I don't consider myself a real foodie. Major props man that is AWESOME.

That all looks delicious.

My mom makes some killer egg rolls too. I just don't know if I have the patience to make them.

I just showed that to my wife and told her that is why I don't consider myself a real foodie. Major props man that is AWESOME.
Thank you cameraman, I think if you are on this site, you're a foodie by default:biggrin:

That all looks delicious.

My mom makes some killer egg rolls too. I just don't know if I have the patience to make them.
Thanks WC, I think the key is to make a bunch so you can freeze some for later. With very little work. thanks again:smile:

It's a beautiful thing - Asian throwdown was a couple months ago though

That is a seriously good looking plate of food! Well done.

I'm speechless (and drooling all over my keyboard!):-D Would have been a shoo-in to win an Asian Throwdown!

That is a seriously good looking plate of food! Well done.
Thank you Moose, I froze the rolls, and reheated in the oven, suprisingly good results, very crispy and maybe better.:smile:

I'm speechless (and drooling all over my keyboard!):-D Would have been a shoo-in to win an Asian Throwdown!
Thank you neighbor, that's a very nice complement:smile:

Awesome plate of food!

Thank you texman, I'd make a few changes but not many.

Thats a fine looking meal Paul:cool:

Ross

Thank you Ross I appreciate your comments very much:smile:

BTW, finished up the rest of the filling using the lumpia wraps instead of the rice papers, they are just way better.Here's a pic of a couple on top of the two and a half dozen I froze.

Trio-kabob005.jpg

Back