Hot and Fast Brisket

Diver

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been on a good roll with briskets and had low & slow down on the UDS. I've been hesitant to try a hot and fast cook but I let my drum temps get out of whack superbowl weekend and salvaged a really good product so I decided to try it for real.

Started with a 14.5 lb full packer and I trimmed more fat than I normally do since it was going to be a faster cook:
DSC04867.jpg

My "in the drum" pics are on my phone. :icon_blush: I used plowboys bovine bold and ran the UDS at 275 center grate temp. At the 3 hour mark, the IT was 165. I foiled with a little broth. After 2 hours, the IT was at 200 so I pulled to rest. Rested 1 hr and this was the result:
DSC04870.jpg

DSC04874.jpg

DSC04877.jpg

I am very pleased. My "usual" process takes 13-15 hours. The bark is softer from foiling but I am very pleased with the flavor, appearance and tenderness. I actually remembered my new year's resolution and kept a log of the entire cook with hourly updates. Hopefully, I will be able to do this again.

Great lookin Brisket! For me,low and slow at home.Hot and fast for comps.
Good job on the note takin. Something I always forget to do.

Those pics look unreal!!! You can probably place in the comp, just with the pic alone!

Hot and fast is gaining popularity for a reason. You just demonstrated it. That is a fine looking brisket.

That ain't nuthin' but a whole lotta hittable right there! :p Nice job! :cool:

Thanks all! I have a long business trip coming up so I took off today and worked in one last smoke. My wife is convinced I miss the smokers more than her and the kids when I'm away. I'm pretty sure she's wrong.:icon_devil

That's a testament for hot & fast. Looks mighty fine.
I remember the log but forget the pictures.:rolleyes:

If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

Back