MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Question on BBQ Sauce Compnents

I am working on a recipe for a BBQ sauce. One of the components is butter. Is it feasible to use real butter in a sauce that will be bottled for non-refrigerated storage?

Another component is Worcestershire sauce. For a copacker, would I need to break the Worcestershire down to its components, or would they use a commercial Worcestershire?

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You would have to contact the packer you wish to use. They in turn will tell you how they will formulate the product. Keep in mind they are not willing to pay someone to make an ingredient that they can duplicate themselves..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

My experience has been, having helped or been involved in a few products, is that most co-packers will not recreate Worcestershire sauce, but, they will use a commercial brand, not the store brand. For things such as butter, a lot depends on the market you are looking at. For higher price points, butter can and is often used, but, shelf stable and lower price point, you are likely going to be pointed to flavorings and oils in place of butter.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
dmuma
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I am working on a recipe for a BBQ sauce. One of the components is butter. Is it feasible to use real butter in a sauce that will be bottled for non-refrigerated storage?

Another component is Worcestershire sauce. For a copacker, would I need to break the Worcestershire down to its components, or would they use a commercial Worcestershire?
I agree with the previous posts. Most co-packers will use a commercial Worcestershire sauce.

The co-packers I used would not do butter, so just ask them. There are a lot of butter 'flavor' substitutes and depending on your price point a couple of them are actually pretty decent.

Grew up on Kansas City BBQ
NB Bandera w/Mods
WSM
Stoker
Weber Kettle

Slow, Low and Even - works for just about every part of life!!
dmuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
delcottp
Got rid of the matchlight.

[QUOTE=Teamfour;2652429]I am working on a recipe for a BBQ sauce. One of the components is butter. Is it feasible to use real butter in a sauce that will be bottled for non-refrigerated storage?

Butter unfortunately is not shelf stable however Whirl and substitutes are. May want to try some out and see how it supports the flavas you are going for.