MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

why would someone use green wood?...is there a taste difference?

cant imagine why someone would do this other than need.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
........ After Hurricane Issac passed through, I cut quite a bit of oak and pecan. It has been drying for the past three months. I am curious about how long I should let it dry. Any thoughts?
Since you're down in southern Louisiana where it's always nice and dry I'd wait at least a year.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

When I was a young and dumb teenager and didn't know any better I used green hickory for flavor in an ECB. That's what my father advised me to do in a tone that sounded like he had used it before. My father was an ole timer who was raised on a farm, so I expected he had seen some smoke houses in action and didn't argue. I'd go out on the wooded lot next door and cut down a *small* hickory sapling or a branch off a tree and cut it into lengths that would fit in the ECB. Of course these small sticks went on top of a bed of charcoal. The fresh green wood wouldn't burn for a very long time and the aroma was great. This is the ultimate version of what folks try to accomplish by soaking wood.

If I cut too much wood and tried to use it again later it just didn't work as well-as in smell as good or impart as good a flavor. IMO, it's wood that's in between absolute fresh green and not seasoned yet that's the real trick to cook with. My experience with small amounts of cut today and cooked with today hickory was totally positive but when I've tried to burn a normal sized split of less than fully seasoned wood is where I've always had problems.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Depends on the cooker.

I use green wood on my offset, and with a HOT fire in the firebox (well in excess of 350F above the fire), I get a nice stream of 250F smoke across the meat.

This past Thanksgiving I made the best Turkey ever (according to the rave reviews), using a 1/2 bag of charcoal as a base fire, I cooked the bird for 5.5 hours on nothing but partially seasoned (cut this past spring) peach wood.

The smoke flavor was delicate & consistent throughout the bird and rivaled some of the best smoked turkeys I've ever eaten.

Don't be afraid of green wood. Experiment with it until you get it right.
Not sure that 6 months or so of drying would still make wood very "green".

I understand what you're saying, and that's why I referenced a bed of coals giving you a 350* fire when using green wood for smoke.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Not sure that 6 months or so of drying would still make wood very "green".

I understand what you're saying, and that's why I referenced a bed of coals giving you a 350* fire when using green wood for smoke.
IMO 6 months of seasoning usually makes for un-seasoned wood. It won't smoke like fresh cut wood and it won't burn like seasoned wood. AKA the worst of both scenarios. YMMV

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #21
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
IMO 6 months of seasoning usually makes for un-seasoned wood. It won't smoke like fresh cut wood and it won't burn like seasoned wood. AKA the worst of both scenarios. YMMV

I guess that in my mind, "green" wood is in the fresh cut to 3 or 4 months. Depending on the size of the splits and the species of wood, 6 months and out could be pretty decent to smoke with if there's a good enough bed of coals.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I guess that in my mind, "green" wood is in the fresh cut to 3 or 4 months. Depending on the size of the splits and the species of wood, 6 months and out could be pretty decent to smoke with if there's a good enough bed of coals.

That may work with some woods depending on the size of the pieces but my experience with ECB sized pieces was that even 1 or 2 week old pieces didn't work as well as fresh cut did. I'd be prepared to pull out an offending piece if it doesn't smell right.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

I have added leaves stripped from a Hickory branch into a good bed of coals. Nice smoke flavor. Could be too much for some.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpope View Post
I have added leaves stripped from a Hickory branch into a good bed of coals. Nice smoke flavor. Could be too much for some.

Not sure I'd burn leaves in my smoker due to many tree leaves putting off serious fumes when burned green.

- Beautiful family