Contest Announcment Fredericksburg BBQ Jamboree - Fredericksburg, VA (50 miles south of DC on I-95) - May 5, 2012

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
There is finally going to be a KCBS sanctioned comp in my home town in 2012. The tentative date for it is May 5, 2012.

Fredericksburg, VA BBQ Jamboree KCBS Sanctioned BBQ Competition.

http://www.bbqjamboree.com

Every team has to have a $40 Health Department one day vend permit and provide screened in tents, hard floor coverings, 3 compartment sink, separate hand washing station and undergo food temp inspection????? Shades of Mt. Airy - I'll Pass

Every team has to have a $40 Health Department one day vend permit and provide screened in tents, hard floor coverings, 3 compartment sink, separate hand washing station and undergo food temp inspection????? Shades of Mt. Airy - I'll Pass

Might be back in that area at that time and if I can hit some Pelletheads up for equipment may wanna compete.

Is the above requirement for teams that wanna vend or do all competing teams have to fill out and pay fee? How much is entry fee, and how much cash prize money will there be?

There is no entry fee posted on the site yet, but it does state that all teams have to do the full HD thing

The Annapolis, MD contest is that same weekend, is an hour from my house and doesn't have the Health Department restrictions.....I know where I'm headed.

Nope, not all.

The event is held on the local fair grounds with water, electricity, and facilities onsite.

The event started last year but wasn't KCBS sanctioned. For the teams that wanted to vend all they needed as far as a washing station is concerned was 3 tupperware bins with water and one with water and bleach. There was no need for a hard floor, etc. They did have to be inspected for temp control but if you are cooking your food safely why is that an issue?

The competition seems to be similar to how Woodstock handled some things this year.

There is no entry fee posted on the site yet, but it does state that all teams have to do the full HD thing

Last year the entry fee was $295.00 and it included the HD fee, and the water and electricity hookup fee. We don't expect the fee to go up this year.

If this is the case then they really need to change the website, because as of right now it reads that all the competitors have to be set up like vendors.

I have talked to the organizer and recommended that the site be updated. There are some discussions going on that should be concluded next week and the web site will be updated based on the results.

Basically, the HD in this town has no experience with BBQ comps and they just need a little education on the subject. They are used to chili cook-offs and that's their frame of reference. So, we are working to inform them of the differences and the level of competence that many KCBS competitors have.

Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds. For the sake of the RV teams, I hope they have level sites.......

Crownsville(fairgrounds) has lots of room and is only 10 minutes from naval academy....Would be nice not to be crammed in like last year(naval academy)....

If all the dates stay the same then with Green Lane,pennsylvania that makes 3 comps that weekend in region ......

When would be a better early date?

March! :-D :shock:

Apr 20th is salisbury and Apr 27th is Edenton. We've heard Gavinells (MD) will be a KCBS this year and its early Aprilish, the w/e before Salisbury? I think....

Last edited:
March! :-D :shock:

Apr 20th is salisbury and Apr 27th is Edenton. We've heard Gavinells (MD) will be a KCBS this year and its early Aprilish, the w/e before Salisbury? I think....

Pretty sure Jen wants their comp to go off before Mothers Day, I think last year it was the same weekend as Naptown. I would like to see earlier (early Mar) comps, and not have to travel to FL, AL, or out west to do some.

Back