Foiling Spareribs

ebm010

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am interesting in what the general concensus of this forum is regarding foiling slow cooked spareribs.
I have been experimenting with a 45 min to 1 hour foiling of my ribs towards the end of a 5 hour total cook time.
I love what it does to the meat texture but i always get a slightly off, kind or boiled pork taste. It's hard to describe but I'm sure you vets know the taste I'm talking about.
It also seems to kill a lot of the smoke taste.

So.... foil or no foil?????

some swear by it, and others avoid it at all costs.

I don't think foil is bad, just not necessary to make great BBQ.

Last edited:
I cook at least at 275 or higher.

I foil for 40 minutes up to an hour.

Every piece of meat is different so sometimes I just go by how it looks
before I foil.

If you want less of that "washed out" flavor, foil them earlier for about 1 to 1.5 hours and let them finish up for another 1 to 2 hours without foil. A lot of it depends on the temp you are cooking them in. If you are cooking at around 225F foil after about 3 hours. If you are cooking around 250F-275F foil after about 2.5 hours. Just make sure you get them out of the foil to where they can spend at least another hour (at 275F) or two (at 225F) in the smoker before reaching the tenderness you want.

I just took 4 slabs of loin backs after 5 hours at 225, no foil. The sample taste was great. Good smoke(apple) nice spice taste from the rub, with a good bite.
Sometimes I foil sometimes not. just depends on my mood.

Chuck

There's a much easier way. After smoking put the ribs in a hotel pan, add some AJ, and foil the top of the pan. Much faster and cleaner.

If I'm cooking for myself, I don't foil - the ribs turn out a bit firmer. For others, I foil on the last hour or so to get that fall off the bone look people want.

Last spares I made I foiled. They didn't come out boiled at all. They were perfect. However I didn't put any liquid in with them. I brushed them down with a combo of butter honey and brown sugar (all melted in a bowl) just painted it on with a paint brush. The excess I just drizzled over them but there wasn't much. Not like they were sitting in liquid in the foil. Came out amazing.

What are you putting in the foil? I'm a foiler and have never had that issue. Some people don't like it though and I have had great unfoiled ribs too.

If you add too much liquid to the foil, it will braise the ribs. Not sure if that is what is causing your problem or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Back