MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
cdriggers
Found some matches.

Default Backwoods Party

Newbie here, so if I a posting in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am thinking about buying a Backwoods Party for some small comps and need some advice.

1. Do I need to purchase the optional heat diverter or will the water pan be enough?

2. Is it easily mobile without the casters or should I buy the optional casters?
3. Is the BBQ Guru worth the price or should I try it without first?
4. Is the Guru an easy addition if not purchased with the unit?

I would really appreciate any advice or tips provided.
cdriggers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdriggers View Post
Newbie here, so if I a posting in the wrong forum, please let me know. I am thinking about buying a Backwoods Party for some small comps and need some advice.

1. Do I need to purchase the optional heat diverter or will the water pan be enough?

2. Is it easily mobile without the casters or should I buy the optional casters?

1. Most folks I know say yes.
2. It weighs about 130 pounds I believe. Casters would be handy.
3. Yes, but you could start without.
4. Yes, it's very easy.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
cdriggers
Found some matches.

Thanks Northwest. That helps. Any other mods I should consider?
cdriggers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Not really - a cover would be nice.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

The heat diverter is a must have. I also got the cover. Casters are easy to install yourself and you will save a lot of money. A guru can be added at any time.
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
kennedyma
On the road to being a farker

I started looking at the party but when I got done with the upgrades I found the Fat Boy to be a better deal. Then I found out about the unlisted Gator and that made even more sense for me. The Gator fits a hotel pan which I thought was a great feature.

Also I don't know how handy you are but I don't think the casters are worth it. I was going to get them but I really feel they are too small to make it easy to roll on anything but a smooth surface.

I got these: Amazon.com: Industrial Grade 1NXC2 Wheel, Semi-Pneumatic, 10 In, 200 Lb Cap: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21QMBauThlL.@@AMEPARAM@@21QMBauThlL and am going to fab up some kind of a axle to mount them on. Kind like a two wheel dolly. Tip the cooker back and it rides on those wheels.

Disclaimer: I don't have the cooker yet, it shipped today!!, my plan is to take lots of pics and post a write up of what I've done.
kennedyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Look into the 180 degree doors as well. They open wider, so it's a little easier getting things in and out.

Also, I've only cooked a few times on my Fatboy, but it holds temps like champ. I would try it out a few times before you decide to invest in the guru (or stoker if you prefer).
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Absolute musts:

a- Heat diverter

b- Upgraded charcoal tray (I had to add mine [read: order it and take it to a welder]) Much harder to add it later. With the upgraded, it slides in & out, making reloading much easier.

c- Cover

d- BBQ Guru adapter from Backwoods

e- Extra charcoal holding tray: I wrap it in foil, and place it over the water pan, as a drip tray. Makes cleanup much easier.

Stainless doors if you can. Buy your casters at Lowes. I got 5 (1 extra) and all the mounting hardware for just under $25.00

Rub it throughly with canola oil, and burn for 2 hours.

Best cooker on the market, IMHO.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Just my $0.02 but maybe you want to consider a stumps. Pricing is similar and you don't need all the additional items. It isn't as versatile because it doesn't really work like a grill, but if this is being used as a smoker, you won't need that.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

I was on the fence with getting party or a baby.

The party came out on top due to it being half the weight and has a lot more surface area to smoke. I can throw the party in the back of my SUV no problem if need be.

Both are great smokers and I would be more than happy with a stumps too most likely

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishiest1 View Post
I was on the fence with getting party or a baby.

The party came out on top due to it being half the weight and has a lot more surface area to smoke. I can throw the party in the back of my SUV no problem if need be.

Both are great smokers and I would be more than happy with a stumps too most likely
It is said that the best BWS is the Chubby. Said mostly by me, and it's because I have one, but technically, it is being said.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Party w/ diverter, cover, and commercial fire box. That is a kick a$$ set up that has great capacity, great transportability, and is overall is a whole lot of cooker for the $$.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Party w/ diverter, cover, and commercial fire box. That is a kick a$$ set up that has great capacity, great transportability, and is overall is a whole lot of cooker for the $$.
Got any in stock or any on order, Andy?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Got any in stock or any on order, Andy?

You know I do!!!
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

Just got mine two weeks ago, love it to death, just came with heat diverter, got casters at northern tool $30.00, all 360, two with brakes.

I a real rookie here but over time I've seemed to pick up on quality and the Party does it for me but, I'm looking at a Fatboy and a Comp, just looking, but I don't have any doubt you'll love your new smoker!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, Party