MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default KCBS members speak out

Cooks tell me that the BOD does not listen to the members. I agree that often the BOD appears to not hear the message from the members, and sometimes this is true. I also know the few e-mails I have received or telephone calls from KCBS members about issues, which I have answered, but in numbers fewer than I would expect.

Many who say the BOD does not listen have never e-mailed or called me.
So now is the time to make a difference. In January on Friday evening of the banquet weekend at 5:30 p.m. at the Clarion, is the General BOD Meeting. All meetings are open to all members, but especially this meeting.

The agenda for the meeting may be requested from the KCBS office 48 hour prior to the Friday evening meeting. You may register to speak on any issue by filing with the office 24 hours in advance. You will not be recognized if you do not register with the office. See policy below.
I hope to see all of you at the KCBS BOD meeting. It will begin about 5:30.
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook
[email protected]

KCBS POLICY FOR MEMBER PARTICIPATION AT BOD MEETINGS
Public Participation at Board Meetings: The purpose of a Board meeting is for the Board to conduct the business and to deliberate and act upon matters before the Board, unless the Board is specifically conducting a public hearing on a matter. Members are encouraged to attend and to observe meetings of the Board and to participate whenever a public hearing is being held.

During portions of regular meetings of the Board, a limited opportunity may be provided for members of the public to make comments regarding items on the posted agenda. To make such comments related to items on the posted agenda, a KCBS members in good standing shall complete the required form and submit it to the Secretary of the Board a minimum of 24 hours before the meeting is scheduled to begin and called to order.
Persons addressing the Board during the “Comments by the Public” portion of a regular Board meeting shall:

1. be recognized in the order the Secretary received the requests;
2. limit their comments to three (3) minutes or less; and
3. not be permitted to criticize individuals or to engage in disruptive behavior.

If an extremely large number of requests to speak are received, the Board President may set a reasonable time limit for the total “Comments by the Public” portion of the meeting. The Board may extend the total time limit for comments set by the President by a majority vote of the members present.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Assuming it's not too costly...a national call in # to listen to questions being asked would be ideal to foster participation and communication. Not many from outside the Midwest area are going to fly to KC to attend the meeting on their own dime (even with banquet).

This is similar to how Wall Street analyst calls are conducted when a company reports their quarterly or annual earnings #'s. The execs speak, provide a current state of affairs then open the lines up for questions, comments etc. Similar can be done here.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I brought a motion to the Board to allow for telephone attendance by members. This motion was to go along with giving members access to the BOD. The board passed the previous motion.

Of course there is a cost, which would have to be paid by the participant for the conference call in advance and to speak you would have to make the request 24 hours in advance.

The board overwhelmingly opposed the motion and it was defeated 8 against with Jim, Don and I voting in favor of the motion.

We will try again next year, at least this year, a KCBS member may actually attend the BOD meeting! Change is slow, but constant.
Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

Old 12-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Assuming it's not too costly...a national call in # to listen to questions being asked would be ideal to foster participation and communication. Not many from outside the Midwest area are going to fly to KC to attend the meeting on their own dime (even with banquet).

This is similar to how Wall Street analyst calls are conducted when a company reports their quarterly or annual earnings #'s. The execs speak, provide a current state of affairs then open the lines up for questions, comments etc. Similar can be done here.
Along those same lines could be a public forum on the KCBS site... I know that it would require software but it would also allow access to just about every one (since those without computers could also go to a public library)... just my $.02
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Hey Merl, What you are doing here is great. I was chair and continue to serve as Secretary to the Nurse Practitioner association New York State(www.thenpa.org). With about 2800 members, we are the voice of NP's(about 12000) in New York. Getting member participation is quite difficult. Lot's of grumbles but rarely any organization to specific wants or needs. I'd hear an undertone of an issue and no one would come forward.

Our Directors are actually elected regional representatives from seven regions. every member has access to the directors/rep's and can send messages to the BOD and Executive committee. but very few do. I like your original post and will forward it to my EC for consideration. but don't be disheartened by non-participation. the reality is there are probably a hand of people grumbling, and even fewer that will come forward.

there is a solution to the phone issue though. We use a conference service that allows an unlimited(I believe) number of people to call into a central line and a simple conference phone at the BOD would meet all the needs. all could listen and those registered to ask questions could do so. Another option is a short email in period allowing questions to be asked, maybe someone, the secretary, to classify the questions to a general category and then a question or six could be answered. just an idea. But to you and the other directors and directors to be. Keep your chins up, someone always has a complaint and don't take it personally. Scott

PS as an aside, is there a strategic plan for KCBS? any ideas for the future. Has the idea been floated before? Sometimes it helps to start that process, it keeps relativity real, current, and everyone on the same page despite changes in personel. I just completed the process for our organization and it's a hell of a task but well worth it I believe. Took us nearly 18-24 monts to complete. I finterested I have soem great resources to offer. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

It looks like you are at least trying to make head way.... I hope so.

I had emailed all the board members with a concern I had about almost a year ago. I NEVER got a reply from the first one. Of any kind, not even an reply that they recieved my email and would look into the matter... nothing at all.

A few months later, I called. I was told that I would receive a phone call, even if she, the receptionist (name withheld) would do it herself. NOTHING again.

So, I hope you good luck. If you would like, send me a pm with your phone number and we can discuss it. I talked to a local rep, who kinda seemed interested and said he would come back around and talk to me about the matter, but never showed his face again, and stayed "busy" the rest of the comp....

Hopefully you can make an inpact with input from the members here... we hope so.

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

sounds to me like you are trying to make the board more accessible to the membership...

if that the case, has anyone ever considered doing something like a annual general membership meeting tied in with the banquet?

I do have a question, when in January is the meeting? I could not find it on the website.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

it's the weekend of Jan 18th, I believe on Friday... then the banquet is Saturday
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

The annual meeting/bod meeting will be on Friday 18 as part of the banquet weekend at 5:30 p.m.
Merl

Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

thanks......got my Bullsheet about 1/2 an hour after I posted that

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Merl,

Thanks so much for your work and listening to the members. I feel the BOD has come a long way this year too and along with some things that MMA have helped out with are a move in a direction that will grow KCBS. I do feel some of the choices made need to be thought through some what more. The asking for non member teams to be charged more could have an effect on new teams entering and some teams that just cook once or twice a year! We as organizers were asked to chearge $25.00 more for non member teams to enter a KCBS contest. So if that is done then the the teams has two choices, pay the mpney or pay $35.00 and join KCBS. Why not just make it $35.00, arrange your entry form so that when the organizer receives it that you just forward that money to KCBS. A contest that have ads out right now is asking $300 to enter, if the team has to pay $25.00 and with gas prices that will be $3.75 this summer I feel we are going to lose a few teams and even some smaller contest. The question I have is; now we ask that to judge the CBJ's membership be in good standing, so indeed why not teams? If KCBS id directing this nonmember charge in 2008 and telling us they are going to make it mandatory in 2009 that we charge more for non member teams is this headed toward in 2010 that it will be mandatory that all teams be KCBS member teams in good standing to cook in a KCBS sanctioned conetst?
Thanks again and I look forward to some answers from the BOD!!!

Arlie

PS: The non memebr fee is already being charged by NEBS and the CBBQA now so now the the teams not members of either of those to associations as well as KCBS would have two additional fees then, right? I am a memeber of the CBBQA and pay a membership for that was well as KCBS.
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Yes Arlie
The teams are going to be looking at two or three memberships the way this is headed out here. CBBQA KCBS IBCA These memberships are a good thing to support organized BBQ.
We have to be careful or some teams are going to drop out or down to just doing Backyard type contests which are fine. But defeats our purpose .

My recent small La Quinta contest required CBBQA Membership it was only $100 for members $136 Non and I signed you up.

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here is a suggestion that I floated with the CBBQA. Just conversation at this point.

Instead, of forcing someone to be a member to compete, why not give an incentive instead? For example...

Grand Prize is $1000 for KCBS member
Grand Prize is $750 for non-KCBS member

I think most people would join for a shot at a bigger prize but it doesn't feel like theyhave to join just to compete. It's their choice. And if a non-KCBS member wins, the difference between the prizes could be split between the organization and the promoter. A win for everyone.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Neil and Thom:

I think all venues could be good, but how do we really know who is a member or not. Do you Thom as an organizer have a members list with emails so you can check to make sure the membership is current or is KCBS going to check this for us. If so that means we as organizers we have to make a list and send to KCBS before the contest for them to check this. What about a team that enters on the last day? What if in 2009 or 2010 this becomes mandatory to be a KCBS member like the CBJ are asked to be now. Dont we as organizer have plenty to do at this point?

Arlie
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Arlie I agree with plenty to do
If its CBBQA membership that is easy for me as Lead Mod on that Forum
KCBS membership would mean a email to them for the info

Neil Sorry not interested in different prize money for members and Non

I have yet to find a serious team headed out to do a $1000 contest weekend
that the $36 stops them from coming.
The insurance savings of a all member event is real and something