MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I think this can be said for all BBQ, not just brisket. Rub recipes with 25+ ingredients, injections, no injections, foiling, no foil, fat side up or fat side down, mop or no mop, yada yada.

Why does it need to be so complicated? It shouldn't be. For fark's sake, we're just cooking a piece of meat that's already delicious in its own right and making it a little better.

1. Get a high quality product to start with.
2. Know how to manage your cooker and smoke.
3. Use a simple rub and/or sauce that simply compliments the meat and smoke flavors instead of trying to make it the star of the show.
4. Pull the meat when it's done.

There you have it. A recipe for good BBQ with a little bit of practice. Like you said, pick a method and stick with it. After some practice you will have it dialed in and make consistently good product. Any method can and does work, but if you're jumping to try some new trick every time a cook doesn't turn out perfectly instead of trying to improve on what may have gone wrong you aren't learning anything and are instead just trying to chase a secret formula that may or may not even work for your processes and setup.
Well said.

I'll add that a lot of backyard folks are trying to attain comp BBQ.

In comp, you are constantly re-inventing your process to gain an edge.

Most of the people I see here are backyard folks.

Cook what tastes good to you unless you're competing.

Dave

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hmmm, brisket costs $5 a pound, burger meat costs $4 a pound, steak costs $9 a pound, seems like brisket is still a great deal. Plus, you can always make it into chili.

Brisket is actually quite forgiving if all you want is to make a tasty meal. And there are ways to save it if you miss a little. For instance, over-cook it, just slice it a little thick, it will hold together just fine. Undercook? Then slice it 'wafer' thin, it will be fine. Too dry, add some jus and sauce, too moist, tell me what you did, I would like to know.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

My humble apologies. Some of us are still learning.
Thought I could come to a place called the "Brethren" for a little mentoring.
Please have patience.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfish01 View Post
My humble apologies. Some of us are still learning.
Thought I could come to a place called the "Brethren" for a little mentoring.
Please have patience.
You can, and it will all be fine. Sometimes the old timers get cranky because the same questions end up being asked, and then, sometimes folks don't listen so well, it does get a little frustrating.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hmmm, brisket costs $5 a pound, burger meat costs $4 a pound, steak costs $9 a pound, seems like brisket is still a great deal. Plus, you can always make it into chili.

Brisket is actually quite forgiving if all you want is to make a tasty meal. And there are ways to save it if you miss a little. For instance, over-cook it, just slice it a little thick, it will hold together just fine. Undercook? Then slice it 'wafer' thin, it will be fine. Too dry, add some jus and sauce, too moist, tell me what you did, I would like to know.
Bob,

I'm assuming this question was for me. Please forgive my communication skills as I'm an engineer and usually, very socially awkward.

What I should have said was the perception of cooking brisket, to noobs like myself, is that there is a window that it must be pulled at or it is garbage.

I emphasize the word perception.

If you look back at my posts, you'll see that I have not yet done a brisket as I have yet to find a local supplier, but when they were carried at my local Wally World, (before I purchased my WSM), they were an expensive cut of meat if I were to screw it up.

I can spend 8 dollars for 2 pounds of ground beef for chili, I don't want to spend $57 for brisket chili.

The point I was trying to make is that I understand where the newbies are coming from, but I also see where the vets like yourself get frustrated with the posts. I have never personally asked for brisket help, nor will I in the future, because all of the info I need is right here at my fingertips.

Personally, I just don't click on posts that don't interest me, but I can see where maybe there is a data storage issue for redundant posts.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
landarc

Dave, yes, I understand that perception. I think there are many of us, who, if someone were, for instance to search for 'brisket help' they would learn that there is a larger window than most people think.

The one thing that puzzles the heck out of me, where do people get the information that they should pull brisket at 190F? There is only one person on this forum who states that he always pulls brisket at 190F. And yet, I see all to often, "I read all the brisket threads, and I pulled right at 190F and wrapped"...where did that come from? I am always puzzled by that.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quite honestly Bob, I see it all of the time too and I don't know where it originated.

In my few short months of BBQ, I go by instinct rather than anything.

I do use my Black Thermapen (which operates at 300 Mega-Delineations/Sec) occasionally, but not very often.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Agreed.
There's not enough people around with a 2004 join date to remind us of this.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Agreed.
There's not enough people around with a 2004 join date to remind us of this.
There are a few of the Purple People that are logged in most days, but, they get tired easily. Some, need to take small breaks from posting, as they get captious But, it is worth listening when a purple person speaks, as there is often merit.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Brisket, Schmisket I like mine corned and then turned into Pastrami, go figure! Seriously folks, there is a wealth of information here. Generally,I try to search past posts and digest as much information as i can prior to posting a question. Other times I prefer just to poll the audience, use one of my lifelines, if you will. I am just a nube, on this forum, but I have been around the block and this is not my first rodeo. So my suggestion to the new comers like myself.....Pay for a subscription, this site is not hosted and administered for free, be polite and have fun, Show respect for your elders (easily done by looking at their profiles) and don't take yourself too seriously! Q is fun if you let it be!

Farkity fark did I say that outloud?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
Bludawg

BBQ isn't difficult if you stick with the roots> laid back beer swilling redneck cookery> heat & meat & time. There are many ways to achieve a great product, in 30+ yrs I've tried more than a few and it took time & enough beer to float the USS Iowa to come to the conclusion My Granddad was a wise soul. SMALL,Clean hot fire S&P & time it's done when it's done> probe tender.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

good ground is around here is around $2lb, The wife just informed me that I am a snob won't eat "grocery store steaks"

She informed my my beloved Round Steak's are $4lb. ON SALE

Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
BBQ isn't difficult if you stick with the roots> laid back beer swilling redneck cookery> heat & meat & time. There are many ways to achieve a great product, in 30+ yrs I've tried more than a few and it took time & enough beer to float the USS Iowa to come to the conclusion My Granddad was a wise soul. SMALL,Clean hot fire S&P & time it's done when it's done> probe tender.
The older I get the smarter my father gets!
Thanks,
jed

Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

BBQ, to me, is nothing more than an extension of what I love to do, which is cook.

I researched this site for 6 months before I decided to become a member because I didn't want to be the guy that asked "How do I boil water."

There seemed to be a camaraderie here that appealed to me (and still does) and I knew I could draw upon the experience of the veterans.

Hot and fast or low and slow, I'll try them all and report back with my experience.

In the end, I'd like to just make some friends that share the same passion.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
landarc

an engineer who wants friends...and wants to be understood...geeeeez!

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]