• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorite seasoning for steak

G

gabedaddy

Brothers, I have some nice New York steaks I'm going to grill tonight. Usually I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Tonight I want to mix it up a bit. Any suggestions? I know there are!

Brothers, I have some nice New York steaks I'm going to grill tonight. Usually I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Tonight I want to mix it up a bit. Any suggestions? I know there are!

Leave off the garlic powder.
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper.
A pat of good butter, if you will, after they come off the grill.

If you really HAVE to season them-soak them in a bottle of good beer, lots of lime juice, and some cumin powder and oregano for as long as you can, then grill them hot and fast. Fajita mod.:-D

Leave off the garlic powder.
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper.
A pat of good butter, if you will, after they come off the grill.

If you really HAVE to season them-soak them in a bottle of good beer, lots of lime juice, and some cumin powder and oregano for as long as you can, then grill them hot and fast. Fajita mod.:-D

qman - That sounds great. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Looking forward for many more so I can try them all.

Gabe, another thing I sometimes do:
Dose the steaks with some salt and pepper, annoint them with the best Extra Virgin Olive oil you have {evoo, dont you know, yum-o}, and then toss them on the grill. Add just a touch of evoo as you remove them from the fire.
To go over the top with this, put the evoo in a small skillet and just warm it with a crushed garlic clove for a few minutes before using. Just enough to start smelling the garlic, then take it off the fire.

Another excellent suggestion. I think I'll try this one tonight!

If I want something simple, it's just kosher salt (more than you think you need), cracked black pepper, olive oil, and a tad bit of brown mustard. Rub the mustard in really well, and don't use too much. Then add the salt & pepper, and then the OO, rubbing it in. Then sear on each side, rest 20 minutes, and cook for done-ness.

If I want something with extra flavor (do steaks really need more flavor?) then I use a rub recipe that is in Dr BBQ's book BBQ All Year Long. It's toward the back, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. It makes the best flat irons I've ever had.

Dose the steaks with some salt and pepper, annoint them with the best Extra Virgin Olive oil you have {evoo, dont you know, yum-o}, and then toss them on the grill. Add just a touch of evoo as you remove them from the fire.
To go over the top with this, put the evoo in a small skillet and just warm it with a crushed garlic clove for a few minutes before using. Just enough to start smelling the garlic, then take it off the fire.

Yep. Cook a good steak clean. Salt and pepper. The garlic can get too strong if not used delicately.

If it's a good steak (and why wouldn't it be) then just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to steak. I am a fam of the NY Strip or Delmonico.

I tend to be a purist as well (kosher salt and black pepper), but both Montreal Steak Seasoning and Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning are good in my book.

Well had to go to the internet look-up again......

"To anoint is to grease with perfumed oil, milk, water, melted butter or other substances, a process employed ritually by many religions and races. People and things are anointed to symbolize the introduction of a sacramental or divine influence, a holy emanation, spirit or power."

Danged if don't already do that from time to time with flavored oils or butter. In fact, one time I annoited this chi.., Oh yeah, back to Q-Talk. Those fancy steak houses like Mortons and Ruths Chris do that too don't they??

Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper

Grill over Kingsford Mesquite till done to your liking.

My standard steak rub is Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Garlic Pepper.

ditch the garlic powder and use some fresh garlic
smash it up in the olive oil spread it over the steaks and then hit it with a nice coarse ground sea salt and some fresh cracked black pepper
grill to perfection
enjoy with tasty seasonal brewed beverage
now I'm hungry
and thirsty

Montreal Steak seasoning ain't bad but I prefer kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Let the meat do the talking.

Back