MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default KCBS and team names

Little bit of a rant here, so my apologies in advance.

I joined KCBS in the summer of 2010. Upon joining, I also registered our team name, Big Iron BBQ. At the time, there were no other teams competing under the same name. Fast forward to summer of 2011. I was looking up our team score on an aggregator and noticed that there were scores from events in California. This caught my eye because we have only competed in Kansas! When i went to the KCBS website to look up the name, I notice that members of the California team were listed in with my team here in KC. I didn't really think much about it and frankly forgot about it. Just assumed it would fix itself.

Then earlier this year while we were reviewing the 2012 competition calendar, a teammate asked aloud "I wonder how we stack up against other teams in Kansas?". Then it hit me. If the guys in California continue to compete, then our scores will be combined and the reporting won't be accurate. Please note, we have no pie in the sky belief that we will dominate or anything silly like that. We are just wanting to see where we stack up as well as how our scores compare to those immediately ahead of and behind us.

I contacted KCBS via email and asked to have our team name modified to "Big Iron BBQ KS" so we could differentiate ourselves from the California crew. No problem. KCBS created a new team and moved all of the KC team members under it.

Here's the problem... In addition to copying over our bio, contact info and logo, they left the same info on the other Big Iron team listing. This may not sound like a big deal, but we own and maintain the logo and all of the web stuff (Facebook, website, twitter etc...). I have absolutely NO reason to believe any of it would be compromised by the California team, but they have no equity in any of it either.

KCBS was clueless on how to remove the logo and bio from the old page. We went as far as to have another teammate join KCBS in an attempt to get them assigned to the California team, so he could modify the profile and remove our content. Ironically, KCBS noticed his address and decided to put him on the Kansas team. This make me wonder why the same diligence wasn't practiced when the California team registered a YEAR after I did?!?

This all may seem silly, but I would guess that in addition to the time and money required to compete, a lot of folks spend a good chunk of time, effort and cash to come up with a logo and develop a web presence.

KCBS is quick to point out that they do not have the legal right to grant exclusive use of any name, trade name or trademark and that's OK with us. But their lack of ability or willingness to manage the database that the members pay to be a part of, is somewhat puzzling and incredibly frustrating.

As of the writing of this rant, there have been 2 phone calls and 5 emails to try and straighten this out. All without success.
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm sorry for your issues, but I'll say that KCBS has relatively large technological issues with both how they identify teams and their website in general. I'm not trying to point any fingers speficially, but the organization insists upon identifying a team by a single membership number, and the website has some fairly signifigant issues. For instance, did you know it is not possible to change your password on kcbs.us? I would encourage you contact the KCBS directly and ask to speak to their IT department head. If there is none, contact the BOD and ask to speak to the technologee committee chair. Make your complaints heard.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

My email address is in your PM box. Let me know who you talked to in the office so that I can talk to someone familiar with the issue, and I'll look into it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

That sucks.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

we've had some issues with how are name is spelled (barbeque,bbq barbecue), I talked to our reps and they said KCBS is working on using an number system instead of names which should fix all the problems
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

Had a similar issue. Emailed KCBS and was told we DO have exclusive rights for comps under our name! Guess I better hold onto that email, huh?? Other teams has stop using our name, but not because anything we did. Maybe we were pulling them down!! Lol
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I whined the other day, so now it's only fair to compliment! After an exchange of emails w/ fellow Brethren member Jorge, our team name/profile issue w/ KCBS has been resolved! Tip of the cap for the prompt resolution! Technology can be a bitch and we all have different expectations of how it should work. I'm confident that while the process may not be perfect today, steps are being taken to make it better for users and the folks that support it. thanks!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

It was the office staff that got it done. They work hard every day, and their goal is to make everyone as happy as possible as quickly as they can. They have a full plate of work, every day.

As a member of the board, I'm not going to micromanage anything or anyone. If anyone has an issue for the office please take it to them first and give them the opportunity to take care of it for you. They've never failed me yet. If you don't get satisfaction, I'm willing to look into it but if the office is right they will get my support if needed.

Thanks to sincitydisciple01 for making the problem clear, and giving me the opportunity to help. Thanks again for taking the time to let everyone know that we were able to make things right. It's appreciated!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The girls do work hard in the office and unfortunately are usually the front line for bad thongs. They do a thankless job. I recognize them every year for the work that they do for us and making us look good.

Good thing we have an IT guy on the BOD now. He will probably wish he wasn't by the end of it...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Good thing we have an IT guy on the BOD now. He will probably wish he wasn't by the end of it...
Probably already does!
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
The girls do work hard in the office and unfortunately are usually the front line for bad thongs. They do a thankless job. I recognize them every year for the work that they do for us and making us look good.

This is just wrong!

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
The girls do work hard in the office and unfortunately are usually the front line for bad thongs.
I'm starting a collection for good thongs...anyone want to contribute?

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Sorry, don't have any thongs to contribute!!!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
I hate to hear about good girls wearing bad thongs. Please let me know where I can send a few and how we can get them sent to the KCBS office.

Question. Are used ok? I didn't stretch them out to bad.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
kcbs