To turn or not to turn?

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
That is the question.

I have never flipped any type of bbq during the cooking time except ribs. I am not sure why i have never done so, i guess i just started cooking it without flipping and continue to do it this way. I cook buts fat up and brisket fat down in my kamados and cook both fat up in my banderas. My question is this? Is there an advantage to flipping? and if so, how often should i flip? Any techniques?

Thanks

We doo neee no stinkin' flipin'

That is the question.

I have never flipped any type of bbq during the cooking time except ribs. I am not sure why i have never done so, i guess i just started cooking it without flipping and continue to do it this way. I cook buts fat up and brisket fat down in my kamados and cook both fat up in my banderas. My question is this? Is there an advantage to flipping? and if so, how often should i flip? Any techniques?

Thanks

Grilling? Yes, flip.
Smoking? No, don't flip.

It's kind of like a fry pan versus an oven. Flip in the pan, not in the oven.

JimT

Only advantage is if your cooker tends to burn one side of the meat if not flipped, then flipping keeps this from happening. Otherwise, the meat is happiest if left alone as much as possible. Heck, if you could let it rest in your cooker as opposed to pulling it out that would be best.:lol:

Why fat down in the kamandos only?

I find that even with the plate setter, there is a little too much direct heat that will dry the brisket out. I have never had a problem with buts doing that but tried it after hearing about here one day and was pleased with the results.

Brisket or Butts, I don't flip anything, I have tried it however.
Loss of heat resulting in increased cook times was the only difference that I have noticed.
Seafood, that's something different.

Weiser

I find that even with the plate setter, there is a little too much direct heat that will dry the brisket out. I have never had a problem with buts doing that but tried it after hearing about here one day and was pleased with the results.

Hehehe

You probably hide your Beer too!:mrgreen:

Weiser

I find that the more you move a piece of meat, the more juices are lost. I wouldn't flip.

Grilling rules: no more than 1 flip.
Smoking rules: avoid flipping; if unavoidable, see rules for grilling.
I agree with the others that said to leave the meat alone. The more you move it, the more the juices escape.

I used to flip meat on my offsets or they would burn a bit on the bottom.
I have never needed to flip on the Primo using the D plates.

Only flip if my fire has gotten to hot and may have scorched the bottom a bit. Cook my brisket fat side down for that reason.
Dave

Rotate yes. From hotter to less hot areas of the pit when using a horizontal and even the WSM. I have been know to flip chicken in the drum though to help with crispier skin though.

I used to flip meat on my offsets or they would burn a bit on the bottom.
I have never needed to flip on the Primo using the D plates.
I too used to flip on 'Little Bubba' when I had to pack in th meat... Since I got 'The Mistress' it stays where it is....

Back