MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default 22" WSM Coal Use

Hi,

I've been thinking that I'm using too much hot coals when starting the WSM, resulting in shorter total burns. Not good.

Here's what I'm doing: I pretty much fill the charcoal ring w/ kingsford blue and I have about 4 chunks of wood in there (2 on top, 2 a little down). I make a significant depression in the center and pour about 3/4 of a large chimney filled w/ hot coals in the center.

I'm thinking that I need to cut that back dramatically, like to maybe 10 pieces or so. Hopefully that will slow down the chain of combustion and give me a longer burn.

Thoughts?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

3/4 of a chimney is too much. Use anywhere between 10-15pieces to start.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

More info needed:

1. What temp are you trying to reach when using this method?
2. What (and how much) meat are you smoking.
3. Are you using your waterpan and if so, whats in it?

Reason i ask is that i had sand in my waterpan & couldnt get high heat easily. Also, i had to use a ton of fuel.

i emptied out the pan & just foiled it & now it uses a TON less fuel & hits, basically any temp that i want (MUCH longer burn times).
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

You're using way to much lit. Cut back to 8 or 10 and your burn times will lengthen considerably. That being said, outside temp and the target pit temp all figure into coal burn times. With the same setup in June at 250* pit you may get 8-10 hrs. In December through February that can change to 5-7 hours. Just last week I did a full basket, 8 li at 250* and I was adding coal at the 7 hour mark. In June this don't happen.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

12-15 hot coals on top of unlit is all you really need.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I use a full chimney of lit on my 22. I dont feel bad cause it climbs straight to 200 and then stalls a bit. tells me the current amount of lit isnt enough to go farther
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
BobM
Babbling Farker

With my WSMs, whether it's briquettes or lump, I follow the same routine.

I fill my charcoal ring to the top with 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood mixed in the charcoal.
I light it in 3 places, in between the vents, with a high output propane torch.
I let it go for about 10 or 15 minutes then put the WSM together.
I have all three bottom vents and the top vent fully open.
I bring the cooker slowly up to my cooking temperature, then put the meat on.
I generally then fully close 2 of the bottom vents, and the 3rd one about half way.
I always leave the top vent fully open unless there is a bad over temperature problem.
I do not use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually do the same as the OP but use a full chimney. But from what I'm gathering my elevation at 7200 feet doesn't lend itself well to using smaller amounts of lit charcoal. With a full chimney and full ring of lump, it takes almost an hour with everything wide open to get to my target temps.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote