MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
ksu1971
On the road to being a farker

Default IQ110 First Use and Initial Thoughts

Well my wonderful wife and kids got me a Pitmaster IQ110 for Christmas and I pressed it into service that day for the Ham and Turkey cook I had planned for supper. I must admit I picked a tough day to test my new toy. For one thing I was shooting for temp of 325 which I have been able to achieve on a nice warm calm day this summer but from what I have found the WSM is not the easiest to get over and maintain the higher heat I was shooting for on this day. I wanted that nice crispy skin on the turkey.

Well as it turns out that day the Kansas weather blessed me with a nice 16 mph breeze and a chilly 26 degree ambient temperature. Nevertheless I pressed forward and filled my 22" WSM full and dumped a half chimney of lite on top. I let the temp come up to about 250 before turning on the IQ and set it to 300. I was wanting to avoid overshooting my target temp of 325. I closed down all my other inlet vents and closed the vent as far as possible on the vent with the IQ.

Well the IQ struggled to get my temps up to the target of 300. It did climb up to 280 but never got much higher. I didn't have much to make a wind block with so I had to let it ride with the 280 temp. About an hour before the cook was done I decided to open a second vent 100% and had some interesting results. The WSM climbed to 300 in about 20 minutes and just stayed there for the rest of the cook of about an hour. I just assumed that is all I was going to get with the wind and ambient temp. Well when I went out to remove the turkey and ham from the WSM I discovered I had the IQ set for 300 and that is why I never got above 300. The IQ actually was controlling the temp with the second vent wide open or at least it appeared to be controlling.

So l don't think I got a fair run with the IQ 110 but am anxious to see how it performs without the breeze. One thing about the IQ 110 I wish was different was the hose. I wish it was a little longer and I am going to have to come up with some type of battery pack. I am planning on cooking some appetizers for New Years Eve and should be able to get a better gauge on the ATC. Thanks for listening.
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the input.I got my eye in a few of those for the Rancher and the WSM s.22&18.TheBGEs need no help but sometimes they are just not enough cook power.I am really wanting a 110 just to try.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I love mine. They work perfectly on UDS'

Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I've got one first IQUE 110 that they made and I use it on my Stumps Clone. I don't use it to get it up to temp, but once I am with in 15 or 20 degrees I shut the fire box door let it take over from there. It does a realy good job of a maintaining the temp. I have ran it for 2 days straight with no problems. Some things I don't like about it is it don't have an adjustable fan like the new models. Hose isn't long enough, temp probes don't last long. With all that said I would buy another one. I made a weather proof box to place it in when it's windy or raining. Will post a pic later.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I got the idea from Pitmaster IQUE's website. A plastic Tupperware bin, two 45 PVC elbows, 2 threaded nipples, 2 conduit nuts, and some silicon to seal hack job for cutting the hole. Run the tube and cords thru one hole and let it get air from the other. Works out good.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356869805.856201.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356869834.223198.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356869855.138465.jpg
I also use same to store and keep all my thermometers together.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
accuseal

The iQue comes with a restrictor washer just inside the end of the hose. Try taking it out for higher temp cooks. You'll get more airflow.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I use a full chimney of lit for temps above 300. That should help a lot.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
ksu1971

We will find out tonight. I am cooking a few MOINKS and Pig Shots. Won't be a long cook but high temp. I started with a 3/4 full chimney and waited until I was at 290 before I turned on the IQ. I shut all my vents and the temp dropped 15 degrees before the IQ caught it and is now bringing it back up. I truly believe the wind killed me last time. Plus the additional lite is helping as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote