• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

carpenter ants in wood

Cinnamon is ant Kryptonite! They hate it. That's always worked for me.
If they are union carpenter ants take away their benefits and in sure they will strike...
Good luck
So, do you sprinkle it on the ground around the woodpile?

spray around the outside of the pile .They have to go back to the nest . and if you spray they take it back to the nest

Hey there, forest pest management is my job. Finally I have something to contribute to this forum (as it sure isn't barbeque tips yet, although I'm quickly getting the hang of my UDS and have figured out what a fatty is).

Both termites and carpenter ants need a moisture source, so whatever you picked up was probably in the wood before you brought it into the garage. Look at the tunnels in the split wood. The tunnels of carpenter ants are very smooth and clean; termites have bits of mud and mess inside. Given your location (Dearborn), I'd guess carpenter ants.

Each carpenter ant colony has one queen. Chances are as you cut the tree or repiled the wood, you didn't bring her home. So you likely have workers slowly dieing off with no replacements. They have probably been confined to just a few pieces of wood, although may scavenge for food especially at night. Carpenter ants do not eat wood. They only hollow it out for their nest (if there is a moisture source).

I would just keep an eye on it. Check around the pile after dark. If you don't see scouts all over, your roof isn't leaking, no puddles running from your car into the woodpile, etc., you probably have nothing to worry about. That said, don't leave it around indefinitely; yes, now you have an excuse to fire up the smoker every weekend.

Hope this helps.

Hey there, forest pest management is my job. Finally I have something to contribute to this forum (as it sure isn't barbeque tips yet, although I'm quickly getting the hang of my UDS and have figured out what a fatty is).

Both termites and carpenter ants need a moisture source, so whatever you picked up was probably in the wood before you brought it into the garage. Look at the tunnels in the split wood. The tunnels of carpenter ants are very smooth and clean; termites have bits of mud and mess inside. Given your location (Dearborn), I'd guess carpenter ants.

Each carpenter ant colony has one queen. Chances are as you cut the tree or repiled the wood, you didn't bring her home. So you likely have workers slowly dieing off with no replacements. They have probably been confined to just a few pieces of wood, although may scavenge for food especially at night. Carpenter ants do not eat wood. They only hollow it out for their nest (if there is a moisture source).

I would just keep an eye on it. Check around the pile after dark. If you don't see scouts all over, your roof isn't leaking, no puddles running from your car into the woodpile, etc., you probably have nothing to worry about. That said, don't leave it around indefinitely; yes, now you have an excuse to fire up the smoker every weekend.

Hope this helps.

from your description of the holes they are carpenter ants for sure. Looks like someone drilled a hole in the wood. And the ones I did see when I cut that piece of wood sure looked like them too so I am sure they are not termites.

thanks for your expert opinion.

I had them all over my house at one time. Now they are gone! Try to find out exactly where they are coming in. Then use maxforce ant killer gel or DuPont Advion gel.
They both come in a small tube that is about no more than $5-$10. Put a little out and it will attract them , they eat it and take it back to colony and wipes them out! I haven't seen any since I used it! Years ago. You can find it on EBay .

Personally, I'd get a pallet and stack the wood on it outside.

Well yes, that is much preferred. Professional recommendation is also 'don't stack wood next to a building' as the last thing one needs is termites or carpenter ants infesting an old wet pile and then getting adventurous in the sill plate and wall joists nearby. That said, don't look beside my garage if you come to my house ;)

Back