MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brethren Awards at Comps???

As I am not a newbie, been a member for a while, but, was like a voyeur at the nude beach for a loooooooong time, and then, the damn busted, and recently, I spend a lot of time meeting folks here, giving what input I have, and taking in the camaraderie that I have started to appreciate.

I like that there is something to being a Brethren, more so than that of just being a member of a discussion board...it is something that I am taking pride in sharing not only the love of BBQ, but, all that seems to come along with it.

What I was wondering (as I am working on getting a contest for 2009 in Cleveland) is that has there in the past been a "Brethren of the Comp" award? A score card, in your opinions would look like what? I do want your opinion, because I think that it would not only be a way of being recognized by fellow Brethren, but, also a tool to spread the guidelines, and expectations of what it means to be Brethren.

I was thinking about having the voting be not only among Brethren members at the contest, but, kind of a People's Choice type of card, you know, kind of, rate how the team tent was in accessibility, cleanliness, willing to discuss BBQ, hospitable...etc...etc.....

Just one of my many thoughts (hey, not a lot of psych patients tonight in the ER, so why not come here, where ummmmm, yeah, there may be one or two customers around here )

I look forward to responses or, experiences with this type of thing in the past.....

Thanks
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I'm not sure if I'm following you exactly, but if you are contemplating an award of some type at competitions for the team that most exemplifies the spirit of the Brethren, I think it's a fantastic idea. Would you limit it to Brethren at the comp or would it be open to all teams?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Thanks for the inquiry and idea. Nothing like this has previously been done.

My personal opinion....Not sure how this would all play out or be accepted having Brethren or non-Brethren rated, compared etc. All Brethren teams flying the colors should be hospitable, accessible etc. It's part of flying the banner in the first place. It's a nice concept in general but not sure it needs to be specific to the Brethren. A more generic award for "Most Hospitable or Friendly Team" etc. may be better understood by the public or non Brethren teams at an awards ceremony.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-05-2008 at 11:28 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

That is the part that I was kinda/more or less asking about, is that has anyone seen anything like that.....
Was just bouncing ideas around in the pre-contest-planning portion....a way to acknowledge the interaction with john-q-public, and also with other teams......if anything, to break it down to the "good sport" think back to little league baseball.....
Again, probably did not put it out there the right way, or, made little sense.....just trying to figure out ways to get not only the teams involved in the support mode, but, to get the public that is there to become more engaged than just walking past asking for samples......
ANY input from others, who have seen something like this at a contest.....good/bad/indifferent is what I was more or less looking for......
Cleveland, Ohio

FEC w/ IQ4

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

BBQ Brethren are Brethren because of who we are. We help one another and our community because we want to. Not because of an award.

Service, love for our fellow man and being who we are, should not be turned into an competition.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree Larry. I don't want any awards for what I do. I do not do good deeds for an award...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think turning goodness into a competition is what U2CANQUE is getting at guys.

What I believe the intent for recognition is like a "Most Congenial Team", "Best Sportsmanship", etc. A nod for a job well done.

For example, I would have nominated a team at our last contest:

Transformer BBQ for allowing us to borrow a battery booster box to jump start a dead car battery - thanks Brendan! (Hope you're enjoying your honeymoon with your new Bride!)

At the one prior to that:

Red Valley BBQ for helping me pickup the cooker that I tipped over into the dirt while unloading. They also helped set up our EZ Up, as the weather threatened.

Most of us don't do good deeds for recognition or credit, but sometimes the receipients of a good deed like to express their appreciation.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Mke,
Thank you, that is exactly along the lines of what I was talking about....hell, we all do this, and do for others because it is who we are....not for what we get in reurn.....but, I was figuring that it is not a bad thing to be recognized for it.....
Cleveland, Ohio

FEC w/ IQ4

Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

First thing, keep in mind, not everyone knows(or cares) who "The Brethren" are. So to avoid the perception of WhoTF are these guys?", i think staying inclusive is a better way to start. Handing someone an award who has no clue who we are can make us seem pretentious. Staying inclusive I believe is better for now.

I dont have time to type everything out now, but real quick, to use some stuff we use at my company for employee recognition awards may help.

The Peer Awards are peer to peer, similar to what you guys are mentioning. Peer Recognition. Thats all well and good. I think taking this along the lines of the peer awards are ok, where one or many teams recognizes another for something they have done. That way its kind of a personal thank you.. from us to them.

MAP(Managment APrreciation award) type awards we would have to think deeper becase it is a double edged sword. I would like hold on those.. probably till we are more established on the circuit.

But, and more along our lines, having some Lighter, contest/participant centric and Brethren Inclusive awards that are more fun would be my biggest preference. To keep things light and not spark anyones competitive nature.

Some thoughts..

The 13th place chicken award.
The Canned SPAM award. (maybe given to the lowest entry score ).
The Full Fledged FoPah award.. (loosing ones pants, DQ for late turnin, etc)..

Etc...

my .02.

keep it simple, fun, inclusive.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
But, and more along our lines, having some Lighter, contest/participant centric and Brethren Inclusive awards that are more fun would be my biggest preference. To keep things light and not spark anyones competitive nature.

Some thoughts..

The 13th place chicken award.
The Canned SPAM award. (maybe given to the lowest entry score ).
The Scott Cook Memorial Award... there are several things that someone receiving such an award might be recognized for.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

Catching ass on fire...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
The Scott Cook Memorial Award... there are several things that someone receiving such an award might be recognized for.

That is an awesome idea !!!! And it HAS to be GOOD!!!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I agree Larry. I don't want any awards for what I do. I do not do good deeds for an award...
but being recognized for those deeds is nice and is a way for those on the receiving end to say thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
Transformer BBQ for allowing us to borrow a battery booster box to jump start a dead car battery - thanks Brendan! (Hope you're enjoying your honeymoon with your new Bride!)
for late night Black Bush delivery @ the oval

Quote:
First thing, keep in mind, not everyone knows(or cares) who "The Brethren" are. So to avoid the perception of WhoTF are these guys?", i think staying inclusive is a better way to start. Handing someone an award who has no clue who we are can make us seem pretentious. Staying inclusive I believe is better for now.
I have no idea WTF JD Powers is either but I think I would be happy to win one of their awards

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
StayDown

Quote:
First thing, keep in mind, not everyone knows(or cares) who "The Brethren" are. .

People really don't know who the Brethren are????