MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
wayne_sw
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Vending quantity

I'm vending an event at the end of the month. Do these numbers sound about right?

3 18Lb +/- Brisket
2 Cryo bags of TriTip (Figuring around 12lb per bag)
1 Bag boneless pork butt (2- 7lb +/- butts)

Doing Brisket/TT/PP sandwiches. Figuring 5 to 7 oz sandwiches of each variety, does it look like I've got enough meat to do around 200 people?

This is the first time vended food will be available at a weekend festival. In the past people have camped and brought their own food. It's a 3 day event with a fundraiser BBQ Saturday night which I will cook for but can't vend during.

SO I'm figuring I will get up there early Friday afternoon and have some tritip available around dinner time. Then smoke one of the PP and two of the briskets overnight to have available Saturday for lunch (plus the tritip). Quit around 3 and start the fundraiser BBQ. Then overnight smoke the other brisket and PP and have them for Sunday then kinda gauge the crowd for tritip.

The only sides I'm going to be doing this time is a green salad or chips and a drink. Supposed to be around 500-600 people coming to the event overall. Does 200 seem like a good target number to serve? And meat quantities look about right?
wayne_sw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

How many other food vendors will be there?
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
wayne_sw

There's a cafe space that the fairgrounds rents out, so just that. I know who's renting it and she's doing Mexican type food. Other than that, no other vendors.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you will need about 30 pounds of cooked meat per 100 sandwiches
or about 60 pounds raw per 100

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

The rule I wasa told by many on here is devide the # of people showing up by half. Then devide that by the # of food vendors and that should get you pretty close. Hope this helps.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
wayne_sw

So between the two suggestions I'd say I'm in the ballpark. I think I may drop a brisket and do 1 butt & brisket overnight Friday and do the other brisket & butt Sat. overnight. Then stick with the two bags of tri tip through each day.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

I think go with what you have and see how ya do. I do a fair amount of vending. I've found most of the guesstimating percentages to be a bunch of hooey. Attendance is the biggest factor and number of vendors a close second. But so many other things affect sales. I have found when admission is charged (air shows), sales goes up. Other factors like booth position and good weather drive sales up. Too hot or poor booth visibility and sales go down. I did a festival a few weeks ago. First day went well. Attendance was around 25K. Next day attendance doubled, same number of vendors, sales went down 25%. We did a bit of checking and found that Sunday was mostly families of lower to middle class blue collar workers. They came to snack on sweet stuff not eat BBQ meals. We think it's what they could afford. Get out your dart board and make your best guess. Hope to run out late into festival. Take good notes and make adjustments for repeating the festival next year.
acguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can sell 1 brisket and 1 butt in 1 hr selling sammies.

What are you going to do the rest of the event???
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
wayne_sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I can sell 1 brisket and 1 butt in 1 hr selling sammies.

What are you going to do the rest of the event???
You're welcome to come out and give it a go. However, given that in the 7 years now the event has run, no food has been available. And almost everyone that comes camps out and brings their own food. But if you have a magic crystal ball that says to bring more food I'm all ears!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

From my limited experience I find advertizing has a lot to do with things too. You say in the last 7 years food has not been available. BYOF. First, has the event been widely advertized, and second has the fact food is available been part of that advertizing? Chances are with a 7 year history a lot of folks will bring their own just because they are used to it. Unless the promoters have put a "no outside food" policy in place, which isn't likely.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
wayne_sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by themidniteryder View Post
From my limited experience I find advertizing has a lot to do with things too. You say in the last 7 years food has not been available. BYOF. First, has the event been widely advertized, and second has the fact food is available been part of that advertizing? Chances are with a 7 year history a lot of folks will bring their own just because they are used to it. Unless the promoters have put a "no outside food" policy in place, which isn't likely.
I heard they used to allow food vendors, then they stopped. I think it had something to do with the brick and mortar cafe that is there on the fairgrounds. Seems like the folks complained about the loss of business with other vendors being around. (Though anyone vendor can rent the cafe, its a matter of whoever asks first) Now their slowly bringing vendors back in (and I know the event coordinator, so that's my in). And because patrons complained that the cafe food wasn't very good. No advertising about food availability is being done that I know of.

Yea, definitely no "on outside food" policy in place. Everyone that comes comes to camp and from what I've heard they plan on being self sufficient. The whole town has a population of 200 or so. I don't think there is even a convenience store in town, nearest town with food is 25 miles away.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

If they plan on being self sufficient, then chances are a lot will sneak food in. No advertizing food availability might work against you as well. Vending Fri and Sat day might increase the fundraiser turnout, but since you cant vend during the fundraiser it could hurt your allotted time sales. I would suspect Sunday crowd would be low in terms of looking for food. But overall it could help get your name out there. Be ready to do some hot holding, ice baths and re-heating. And if you are doing this to get your name out there have plenty of signs and business cards available.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_sw View Post
You're welcome to come out and give it a go. However, given that in the 7 years now the event has run, no food has been available. And almost everyone that comes camps out and brings their own food. But if you have a magic crystal ball that says to bring more food I'm all ears!

Thats sort of my point....I WOULDN'T give it a go as theres no money to be made!!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->