Removing salt and sugar from rub recipes

T

Thirsty4Q

So I have noticed in almost every rub recipe I have ever read there is always salt and usually sugar. Good stuff.

However when using a brine, it has been my experience that there is plenty of salt residual even after a good rinse, and dry. So till now I have been using rub recipes and just deleting the salt. I also usually add molasses to my brine, so I have not been using sugar in my rub either.

So am I missing the boat on anything here? Usually brine my butts for PP in 1/2 gallon water, and 1.5 cups kosher salt I grind down in my spice grinder to be fine and dissolve fully. And about 3/4 jar molasses, (about 8oz)

I just did my first batch of ribs on my new UDS yesterday and used Myron Mixon's recipe for marinade and rub.

I'll have to say it was too salty. The marinade has 2 cups of salt on its own plus whatever was in the rub. If I do his recipe again I'll cut all salt by half or maybe just cut it out of the bub.

As long as the meat doesn't taste bland then you probably have enough salt without adding more in a rub. You can always add more after pulling or in a finishing sauce, but you cant take it away if there's too much.

most butts and such are packaged in a "solution"..if you read the package..this is usually a salt solution or "Brine".....you don't want to add anymore salt than necessary...I use my own rub that has NO salt in it..it's a mix of various spices and herbs, and some sugar to combat alot of that saltiness.

Back