MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
chobint
On the road to being a farker

Default Beef ribs are smokin. Done temp?

I ran a few searches and couldn't find any exact numbers. All I managed to find was some advice in the form of "look for pullback" and one post mentioning that beef ribs are more like brisket. Should I be shooting closer to 190-200 for my ribs tonight?

Thanks,
Chob
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd go by feel rather than temp. When the meat begins to pull back from the bones and feels like "butta" when you probe it with a toothpick, it will be done. You want it to be tender rather than just done. Wrapping them in foil after a couple of hours can help speed up the process especially if you up the cooker temp to about 275 to 290 after wrapping.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
chobint

I need a ballpark figure so that I can ignore my smoker for a few hours at a time between pokes. Any ideas?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Boshizzle

What temp is your smoker?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i've never temped a rib, whether pork or beef. so i dunno.

BUT

what you're looking for with beef ribs is an appearance of overdone.
alot of shrinkage and pullback.
try to find pictures of finished ribs more than temps. i know i have a few out there. many others have more.

thats a beef rib in the back. notice the pullback. these could've cooked even longer no prob.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 11-21-2011 at 08:04 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Boshizzle

I have to go to bed, but if your smoker temp is in the 225 range, start probing at an internal temp of about 180 to 190. If your smoker is in the 275 to 290 range start probing at an internal temp of around 200 to 205.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

if you're 250 or under, 6 hours. 325, 4 hours. as a ballpark.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
chobint

Thanks guys. It looks like we are indeed moving into brisket country up above the 190 latitude. Also that pic speaks a 1000 words.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

um, just as aside...what are ya pokin'? every few hours....

Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

not to disagree with bo, cuz he is prolly right regarding temps, but with ribs, i find appearance and feel is much more telling regarding ready to eat.

good luck. post a pic, if you can, i'll give ya an estimate "how much longer". do need to know your cooker temp tho.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
not to disagree with bo, cuz he is prolly right regarding temps, but with ribs, i find appearance and feel is much more telling regarding ready to eat.

do need to know your cooker temp tho.
I agree and that was my first response to the question posed by the OP.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

yup, you did. sorry.

scanned right past the first reply

Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
chobint

I agree that you should poke for the final test. I also like using the probe on ribs because the probe will only ever read high. Which means I can say with confidence that my ribs are no hotter than 140 internal (as per my last reading). Edit: Thanks again. I've got a good idea of the gameplan. I'll post the results in a few hours.