First comp pork box

porkmebaby

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Have been a tag along on a couple of BBQ comps and recently had the opportunity to get my feet wet at a non sanctioned event cooking one meat the pork. I struggled with the presentation side of this because what do I do? Shred it? Slice it? Chunk it? Dice it? Form it into 6 clumps? Seemed the most difficult of the 4 meats to present to me. Anyway I was very happy with the taste, tenderness and flavor and also thought it had a nice smoke ring and very nice bark that I tried to be "the feature" in my box. The mm was just too tender to medallion and just shredded when sliced. Please critique my first time box! Give suggestions or add some pics! Thanks

image.jpg

Color looks great. I agree that some pulled should be added. Also, as a judge, symmetry of your presentation tends to drive the score up. Yours looks tasty but scattered in the box. My 2 cents. Good luck in future comps!

IMHO, the chunks seem like an unwieldy size, I'd consider breaking them up a bit more. Also, I'm thinking the appearance is actually too heavy on the bark (esp the left side). Adding some pulled as the other guys suggested could help that too.

That said,my team's appearance scores for pork would suggest that I'm in no position to give advice on the matter. I'd agree that pork is the hardest to present.

Whatever you decide to do (add pulled, slices, whatever) Just look at it and try to make it even in the box. It looks delicious, but it looks like you just chucked it in and closed the lid.

Definitely try to segregate different "types" of meat in the box. chunks with bark around the outside (at least 6 chunks) with pulled in the middle would probably look better and "thought out" instead of looking like you dumped the mess in the box.

Smaller chunks would help too,

No doubt, check out bbqcritc.com. A great resource with tons of feedback.

I think that Sliced, Pulled, and Chopped Pork tend to do well. We walked in Pork. We knew we nailed it, so we gave 3 options. Before you send your box in, take a picture with your cell phone, and look at it for symmetry. EVERY TIME we look at the picture, it's obvious what's off.

Personally, your box makes me hungry, and I LOVE chunks of pork. However, there are judges looking at many boxes, and for appearance, you've got to try and stand out with a beautiful, symmetrical, box. Bring out your inner artist next time :grin:

Definitely try to segregate different "types" of meat in the box. chunks with bark around the outside (at least 6 chunks) with pulled in the middle would probably look better and "thought out" instead of looking like you dumped the mess in the box.

Smaller chunks would help too,

Listen to Tom!!! He has helped us a lot with presentation tips :).

With that being said, I agree with using different "types". We include multiple types of pork and our chunks are more 1 bite in size so they can pop that whole piece right in (if they want). Symmetry is very important as well.

Bark can also harden up after sitting. Leave your box out 20 minutes and then taste it. If the bark is still soft, fine, but otherwise back off on it some.

Back