Cold Smoke Cheese ?

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I plan to cold smoke some cheese- sharp gouda and pepper jack with my Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator. I am figuring about 2 hrs Does that sound about right?

I think it really depends on a few factors like temp in the "cooker" and how much smoke is being generated. Personally, I use the tin can and soldering iron on days when it is below 50 and 2-3 hours is fine.

Oh, for a special treat, throw on some cream cheese and smoke that :thumb:

The Pro Q is similar to the A MAZE N cold smoker I have. I'll light BOTH ends in mine and let it go for four hours. The sawdust maze doesn't release a lot of smoke while burning so the extra time helps. Your Pro Q might yield different results of course.

Last time, I did mine for about 2 hours using the tin can and soldering iron. That worked well. I just got an A MAZE N pellet 8x5 maze and applewood pellets that I'm going to try this weekend. Not sure how long, but I'll probably start with 2 hours.

The Pro Q is similar to the A MAZE N cold smoker I have. I'll light BOTH ends in mine and let it go for four hours. The sawdust maze doesn't release a lot of smoke while burning so the extra time helps. Your Pro Q might yield different results of course.

I have the A Maze N dust smoker tray as well. And I do the exact same thing Guerry does since it doesn't release a lot of smoke. I go 4-5hours on my cheese and let it rest a minimum 2 weeks.

I smoke cheese for at least 4 hours and start eatin' on them the next day.
I use my smokehouse though.

Good luck with it George!

I have the A Maze N dust smoker tray as well. And I do the exact same thing Guerry does since it doesn't release a lot of smoke. I go 4-5hours on my cheese and let it rest a minimum 2 weeks.

+1 on this. I use the eye test on mine. By looking at the corners you can see how deeply the smoke has penetrated, once I notice a good color I pull it off, usually around 4-5 hours and then into the fridge for at least 2-weeks.

I have about 6 lbs of cheese mellowing right now which is getting opened up this weekend.

I only go one to one-and -a-half hours using the tin can and soldering iron smoke generator with pecan chips.

CD

I recently did some mozzarella sticks (they make good snacks for work, don't laugh) and did the soldering iron in the tin can trick. 2 hours was too much, of course I had the smoke just rolling off the thing. I would also venture to say it depends on how much of a smoke flavor you want to impart, heavy or just a kiss of smoke. I had really heavy smoke on mine.

I wrap each piece individually in plastic wrap and then vaccum up the whole lot together.

I usually load up the amns w/ maple for a 4 hour duration, vacuum seal and let rest a couple weeks or so before eating. The duration depends on the type of cheese for me. The harder the cheese the longer I let it go and visa vera.
LL

LL

Back