MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
AUswimKC
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : AUswimKC

Where are you taking temperature?
AUswimKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
nmeyer414
is one Smokin' Farker

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...0&postcount=13

follow directions, dont do anything that is not stated in directions and you will be good.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #18
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
OK... Step away from the brisket

Deep, calming breaths

Could you slice the brisket and it was tough, or was it falling apart? If you could slice it and it was tough, then it was under cooked. If it was falling apart, then it was over cooked.

You said that you pulled it when it probed 203. It is entirely possible that it wasn’t done at 203, especially with a 275 degree smoker temp.

Here is what I do...

Cook at 300 on the grate until the back color is where I like it (about 2 hours, typically)
Wrap and cook at 250 until the thickest part of the flat is probe tender. (About another 2 - 2 1/2 hours typically) I start probing at 2 hours.
Open the foil and vent for 10 minutes
Close the foil and put into the Cambro to rest.

I can’t remember the last time that I used the internal temp of a brisket or butt to determine the timeline. Each piece of meat is different, and the cook temp will also make a difference. I use my Thermapen as my probe since it is always what I use, and I can tell you that the IT will be 210 and even higher when the brisket is tender most of the time.

^^^^^ this.

A couple of points to somewhat extend what Ron (and others) said.

Tenderness of a brisket comes with the breaking down of the connective tissue between the muscle fibers. Luckily for us all, this is also where the moisture of a brisket comes from. Those connective tissues get broken down and the collagen renders. However, if cooked too long, that newly released rendered collagen will cook out and your brisket will get dry again.

WRT finished internal temp. There's a number of factors that determines what that finish temp will be. One of those factors is chamber temp. The breaking down of the connective tissue is a function of temperature over time, or time at temp. As you cook it , the brisket will spend different amounts of time at various temps. Like it might be between 40 and 50 degrees for 1 hour. Between 50 and 60 for 50 minutes, 60 and 70 for 40 mins. (BTW< I made these numbers up just to illustrate the point). As the internal temp increases, the rate of breakdown increases as well, shortening the overall cook time.

If you cook at a higher chamber temp, the brisket runs through each of those temp ranges much faster. The inevitable result is that the higher the chamber temp, the higher the finished Internal temp will be.

So, say you have 3 identical choice grade briskets. Exact clones of each other. One cooked at 225 will have lower finish IT than one cooked at 300. One cooked at 275 will have a finish IT in between those two.

Grade of beef also factors in. Usually, I believe Prime will have a lower finish IT. Choice would be in the middle. Select grade would be the highest.

To further complicate matters, let's go back to chamber temp. Most folks aren't using thermostatically controlled insulated ovens to cook brisket. Those types of cookers hold absolutely steady and consistent temps. Most smokers don't. You might target 250, but your smoker might settle in at 240 or 270. It might not (probably won't) even settle in. You might have temp swings of 20-40 degrees or whatever. It's no big deal, but that variation in temp quite possibly might affect what your finish IT will be.

On "probing". Packer briskets have two parts, the flat and the point. These are two different muscles and they have different characteristics. The point has a looser grain, more intramuscular fat and less connective tissue. The flat is a deeper pectoral muscle that does more work. It has less internal fat, a tighter muscle structure and more connective tissue.

When it comes time to probe, you can, and should, completely ignore the point. Due to having less connective tissue, it will be "done" and tender before the flat. But, due to it's higher fat content, it can cook for longer without over cooking. It's because of this that when the brisket is "done", you can pull it, separate off the point, cube it up, sauce it and put it back on the smoker for another hour or more to make unctuous burnt ends. It's actually kind of difficult to really overcook a point.

The flat is what you want to pay attention to. Specifically, the thickest part of JUST the flat. While your brisket is raw and trimmed, examine it. See where the point and the flat meet. Notice the seam of fat that separates them. Try to identify the rough area where it's just the flat and find the thickest part. Once bark is developed, it'll be a bit more difficult to figure it out.

Anyways, at about 185ish (doesn't matter if it's wrapped or not), start probing around the thickest part of the flat. Here is where experience will really kick in. The first couple times, I'd probably probe it every 15 to 20 mins. Nothing elaborate, just open the smoker, stab a few times, close the smoker. Once you have some experience under your belt, you might be able to adjust those times. Like, if it feels really tough to probe, you could probably give it another hour before probing again. The frequency of when to check will depend on how the brisket feels. Like, if it's close, but not quite there, maybe give it another 10 mins. But, to start out, I'd go with a set schedule.

Anyways, that's some of the reasoning/rationale behind it all. I've found that for me at least, understanding what is going on and why has let to more success with my cooking.

Sorry for the long dissertation. My ADD is apparently running unchecked today :-)
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Separate the point from the flat. Cook the point to make delicious burnt ends. Grind the flat and make delicious burgers, or mix with pork for an awesome smoked meatloaf. Perfect brisket every time.

Or cook up some beef short ribs.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #20
hogaboomer
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Tim

Are you getting your 275 from a door thermometer like a TelTru? We did out first brisket like that and it came out tough. We bought an Inkbird digital and put a probe on the grill, it was about 60 degrees hotter than the door thermometer.
The next one we did with the Inkbird we cooked around 250, and it came out pretty dang righteous, and this is from a couple of rank beginners.
hogaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #21
Hoss
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyu370 View Post
separate the point from the flat. Cook the point to make delicious burnt ends. Grind the flat and make delicious burgers, or mix with pork for an awesome smoked meatloaf. Perfect brisket every time.

Or cook up some beef short ribs.
i love it!!!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #22
Hoss
Babbling Farker

I trim the flat right where the point quits covering it.Grind that flappy arse flat with some chuck and other meats for burgers and stuff.I only smoke the part that the point covers.Good Eats!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #23
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

As mentioned above, Meat grade is the biggest consideration for me. After doing several select grade cuts with bad results, I will only do choice grade or better. You method and cook temps are sound. It's done when it's done.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 09-15-2019 at 12:12 AM..
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #24
redchaserron
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe wait until it comes out of the stall to wrap. I would highly recommend searching the "BBQ With Franklin" series, you can find the videos free online. Watching his videos and emulating took my brisket from turning out like you're describing to being awesome.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #25
DanB
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brisket

Hi All I've also cooked/smoked a lot of packers, both choice & Prime..I've tried Hot N fast,Low N Slow,inject some, wrapped in butcher paper & foil.
For some reason my flats always come out dry! The brisket is always tasty & tender but dry?
You can see my, many briskets post on this forum. Some of us just don't get brisket right, no matter how hard we try.
Thanks Dan

Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All I've also cooked/smoked a lot of packers, both choice & Prime..I've tried Hot N fast,Low N Slow,inject some, wrapped in butcher paper & foil.

For some reason my flats always come out dry! The brisket is always tasty & tender but dry?

You can see my, many briskets post on this forum. Some of us just don't get brisket right, no matter how hard we try.

Thanks Dan
What kind of smoker? Are you talking about the whole flat or just the edges?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
eggzlot
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
Eggzlot, No! i take it from the smoker wrapped and drop it in to the cooler. Wow! ok did not know it needed to rest first before the cooler. do you think that has been part of my problem?
It’s needed. If yours is tough it’s likely undercooked but still best practice is when you get the right tenderness is to have it stop cooking. Keep on counter unwrapped for 10-15 mins. Wrap and then into cooler/cambro.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #28
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Don't give up! The worst that can happen is you make a lot of awesome chili or beans and meat. And tacos. Maybe some Texas Poutine. (My own idea - fries, chopped brisket, cream gravy and fresh jalapeno slices)

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #29
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...0&postcount=13

follow directions, dont do anything that is not stated in directions and you will be good.
I've done a whole lotta briskets and Bludawg's method can't be beat!

gtr's Big Pig Roast in SoCal 9-1-2019 (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #30
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

The sweet spot can be difficult to find. Cooking lower and slower will produce a longer sweet spot. Hot and Fast like a bludawg produces a sweet spot that comes and goes probably within 30 minutes. Be patient and cook that thing longer. Once you get there, you'll never forget it.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.