MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #31
Smokeat
Take a breath!

Recently cooked A lot of dogs for a A lot of people, good quality all beef 1/4 pounders on a gas grill. About a third of the people were concerned about the char on the skinless dogs. Sucks for them, cause I was cooking full blast, highest heat, and I was really in the weeds, and the dogs were only semi-thawed! I'd rather hear people bitch about char on their hot dog than find out next week that a whole herd of people got sick, and I was the common denominator.

And, oh by the way, haters, I like dogs all ways, but a favorite is with Catsup and Thousand Island Dressing with chopped onion. Yeeeah Boy! Dave
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #32
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Being from Chicago, I'm partial to dirty water dogs & char dogs. Although those Sonoran dogs look pretty good as well. But whatever you decide to cook, make sure it's an all beef dog.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #33
Hoss
Babbling Farker

ANY AND EVERY WAY,as long as it is a good,quality dawg.I like them dressed many different ways also,depending on the mood I am in.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #34
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark

i prefer a more "sausage like" dog like those made by Schweigert or Salmon's (wi/midwest only?) and done either on grill or an open fire. condiments and additions vary but sometimes i add (gasp!) ketchup or bbq sauce.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #35
frankenfab
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Franklin

https://youtu.be/ZpZ_fakwSwc

I have to admit I cringe a little bit every time I see that scene.

anybody got the skills to embed the video? I couldn't figure it out.
frankenfab is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #36
kls44
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken

Ball Park all beef spiral dog over charcoal, just the beginning of char on it.
Served up with ketchup, sometimes salsa and cheese or chili, cheese and onion.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #37
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

I love all dogs...

I HATE it when the bun becomes unhooked at the back and you end up with 2 pieces of bread instead of a bun. Another major problem with todays dogs is the incredible amount of salt in them. I use salt on everything but find the sodium level in hot dogs distasteful (see what I did there?)
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #38
Stokensmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Best hot dog chili recipe?
Stokensmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #39
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

What about like this, remember when demi more was hot :) hot dog about 4:47

https://youtu.be/Apjvf9YNzEM
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #40
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Default It’s All About The Meat

It’s hard to find a great hotdog out here in the West. Sabrett natural casing that gives the snap is hands down the best followed by Hebrew National and Nathan’s. Grilled on the flat top is preferred. As long as they are not burnt or overcooked, all is good. It’s all about quality. I once asked a nice Jewish man behind the counter why his deli meat was so expensive? He had a simple answer, “It’s Quality”.

Pinks serves up an awesome dog. They won’t say their source but I think they might be outsourced Sabretts.

Like Fat Jack’s in Studio City says “Best Meat In Town. If You Can’t Eat It, Beat It”.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #41
Dmakkk
Full Fledged Farker

I get my dogs from my butcher and they are great. Ruined everything else for me and also nathan's cooking dogs all different ways.

https://nathansfamous.com/the-stand/...rfect-hot-dog/

http://www.forestporkstore.com/

Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #42
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

I like all dogs, Ambassador, crappy cheap ones, Hebrew, Nathans, any and all condiments. Don't care, I'll eat em! I tried the Slawsa on my dogs and it was good, but gives me heart burn. Foot longs at the State Fair with raw onions and mustard are pretty farkin good.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #43
Whisky
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not picky at all, and enjoy all sorts of toppings. But lately I have been favoring a jumbo all beef Nathans and plain fresh white bun. Nothing else! Never thought there would be a day I don't put at least mustard on a dog.

Prefer lightly grilled or griddled, but have been known to wrap in a wet paper towel and microwave when I'm really in a rush.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #44
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've met very few hot dogs I don't like - I just like some better than others, but probably dislike none.

campdude and I have cooked literally thousands of hotdogs over the years at an annual event. We've learned that moisture is key, and when you're grilling or smoking bazillions of them, they profit from a little time in simmering water first, and water spritzes while holding in the cambro. Some people only want them burnt, other people don't want any char, and there's everything in between.

My favorite might be the Kogi dog - I believe they use Hebrew National and there's a bunch of stuff on it like cheese, kimchi, sriracha, etc. Very, very farking good and I've eaten literally hundreds of them. Not sure if this recipe is accurate, but it should give a pretty good idea of what's going on:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/kogi-dogs

Oh - and howdy Mike! Hope all is well over there!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #45
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

Nathan's is all I buy. I like them Chicago style but I also like to smoke them indirect and let them cool overnight. I eat them like a beef stick snack.
Old Smokey Electric.
Blackstone 22.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote