MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default This OLD DOG learned a new TRICK..Thank you, KenInk! InkBird Wireless Therms!

SO.......Let's see if I can remember how to post and upload pics and stuff on this place. Hello, I'm Bob.....Long time listener, first time poster in a long arse while! Kids will do that to ya! Lil Bobby B is now a Freshman in high school and my Princess has started middle school. I work at the same high school he attends so he can't get away with chit!! LOL! Between soccer and volleyball........well, I now cook quickly to feed the masses!!!!!

However, the other day I opened up a PM to find that KenInk was graciously offering me a InkBird IBT-4XS to try out and post a review of its capability! DONE! I would like to apologize as I had said I would do this last weekend, but time was not on my side. Today-it was!!!

Let's get started. Headed out to our local Shamrock Foods that sells to EVERYONE! Unlike some of the other places that require you own a restaurant or whatever. I love this place. Picked up another bag of Lazzari. 40lbs of mesquite lump. My go to for now and beyond. No snap, crackle, pop, big pieces and only 13.99 with the membership card which is FREE! Found me a nice lil brisket and a pork loin which I cut in half. We will get some lunches and dinner out of em this week! So, onward with the pron.

So pics may be a bit large, big pron is good and I am too lazy to resize it so live with it. :) Me, Ink, Joe, Lazzari, and an unseen list of Honey Do's!

SO..probe 1 monitoring pit temp, 2 and 3 on loin, 4 on brisket. Take my word for it. LOL. Probes were great. Magnetic base held in place on the expando. I forgot to say how easy it was to download the APP and sync this thing. I mean.....like a minute. My phone did great. Hell, I did great. Had it been a technological chore.......I would have been not happy! I was very pleased. Even meesed with the APP and set a wrap time for the brisket and a final pull temp. The unit and my phone sent alerts when needed.

BIG leap from these old guys! But, have some great memories with these old therms too!

Alarm went off at 145 for the loins and just like with my wake up alarms, I hit snooze a couple times. They came off around 160 or so. As Donnie would say, the Pig Honey was drippin!

So, some Gouda, Havarti, and pork loin grilled sammies on sour dough to feed the family and get them off my ass! Brisket and Honey Do's still going on.

Brisket was great. Sliced up for burrito/lunches for the week. Hooking up my boss with a pork and brisket burrito. WINNING! LOL!
I really like Shamrock foods as they carry a some smaller size briskets. The one I bought was low on fat cap and around 10lbs. Crutched it at around 170, no butcher paper on hand. Boo Hoo! LOL! Sue me!! Wife and kids took samples off the damn cutting board as I sliced it, that is good enough for me on the home ratings!

You are able to set you own temps, title them and so forth. I figured that out and set a ball park wrap temp for the brisket. I love this thing. I wish I was able to just feed the pit, mess with the therm and drink beer.......I would have taken more pron and so forth but I wanted kids! Oh yeah, we got a dog now too. So I was all over the damn place.

I had set a 160 wrap temp on the brisket on probe 4. As you can see, I snoozed it a few times. Finally wrapped it and let it go. This is where things got real. I inserted the probe back into the the brisket and through the foil. Set a final temp of 190, I believe and life happened at home. I did snooze some alarms and between trying to make salsa, chop grilled onions and cilantro for the lunch burritos and conversing with 2 teens and the wife.....I went haywire, but the InkBird did not! Reminded me how time and deadlines have changes around out home, but one thing that has never changed is our love for food. We grill and I smoke when I can.

One thing I have always wanted to do was monitor internal temps and this unit did it nicely! I use the pit therm as a VERY general guide. Those things can be off by days and nights at times. LOL. That graph is indicative of the times I opened the pit door. Mostly the drops were probably from the firebox door getting opened so I could add more lump or some plum chunks.
Product arrived the day that Ken stated it would.. Packaging was spot on. No need to mess with batteries....just plug it in and recharge it. I really liked the at phone and at unit alarms. I caught the unit alarm a couple times when I did not catch my phone alarm. BT distance was really nice. From back yard to front yard/garage and NEVER did it disconnect. AT ALL! With my old therms, I would have needed to do at least 2 resets. Not on the InkBird.
The technology thing is great, this was easy to the point that I could use it and it was a breeze! 4 ports and probes was pretty slick coming off of one unit. Thank you Ken for the unit. I will recommend it here and with my personal friends. It was a champ and super easy to use. Plus, I only tapped the surface of what it can do. Settings and versatility yet to be used on it from what I saw on the APP!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 09-09-2019 at 01:16 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 AM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I like Inkbird stuff,
Nice post Bob, now head down to cattlecall with those pictures and introduce yourself.
Pretty solid looking cooking

Don't send the Foster's, it's a Federal crime(IamMadMan)

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Mighty fine cook there, Bob!

gtr's Big Pig Roast in SoCal 9-1-2019 (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

I thought I was watching an infomercial, food looks great Bob. I too like inkbird.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
KenInk
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Oksana

Thank you so much for the detailed review,Bob!

Any members wanna try our unit,can support 50% discount code,ONLY $24.995 for it! Pls PM me if you are interested!
KenInk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Your box is full.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInk View Post

Any members wanna try our unit,can support 50% discount code,ONLY $24.995 for it! Pls PM me if you are interested!

Tried to send you a message. Your inbox is full. I would like to try you product.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
16Adams

I was going to as well. My PM’s are turned off.

One is the loneliest number ;-)
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
gtr

Thanks for the pix, reportage, and review! So good to see you posting & everything looks great!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
frankenfab
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Franklin

Nice report. So, it looks like IBBQ must be an independent APP, because it's the same one I use for my Solis Thermo......
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
RNF
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInk View Post

I would like to try one also if the code is still available.
RNF is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Heck, I can't believe Lil Bobby and your Princess are that old! lol Time flies!

Great post Bob. I'm an InkBird fan too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
sjb67
On the road to being a farker

Not meant to highjack but I have the IBT-6XS and would like probes with longer cables say 6-10 ft. Any idea if these will ever be offered?

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #14
KenInk
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerhook View Post
Your box is full.
PM sent

Old 09-10-2019, 03:31 AM   #15
KenInk
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Tried to send you a message. Your inbox is full. I would like to try you product.

Thanks,

Robert
Hi, Robert. PM sent.