• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

37 Day Aged 7-Bone Ribeye = Cowboy Steaks (Pron heavy)

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I did my second dry age session using with UmaiDry bags. First one was a prime ribeye 45 day dry aged. Thread is below just in case you want to check it out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203285

Some numbers if anyone is interested:

Whole rib was 20lbs (19.92 to be exact) $5.88/lb @ $117.13 total
Day 37 it weighed 17.85lbs which was about 2lbs of weight loss
48oz (3lbs) unusable trim/waste
Trimmed steaks weighed in from 28 to 32 oz (1.75 to 2lbs) each
22oz (1.38lbs) of ground meat from the trimmings
8oz (.5lb) of good pure fat for sausage and such

Final cost for the steaks came to slightly less than $9/lb

Anyway, I bought a whole Choice grade 7 bone rib on sale at $5.88/lb. Can't beat that especially for dry aging.

20150404_125403.jpg

Nice piece of meat for sure

20150404_125438.jpg

Pretty straight forward and all you do is take the meat out of the cryovac and put it in the UmaiDry bag, seal it with a Foodsaver and put it in wire rack fridge shelf from 28-60 days.

I actually had a hick up and didn't know Umai sells short loin bags for larger cuts like this one. Initially I ordered a combo pack that also included 2 large bags which I thought were the largest size they offered but I was wrong. :doh: Long story short it was too late to turn back so I "stuffed" my meat inside the bag forcing it in there. Really tight fit and it stretched the bag. :biggrin1: I planned on going 45 days again but there was a large air pocket, bone side, which you're not supposed to have and it was due to the wrong bag. I decided to play it safe and pulled it at day 37 which is more than decent amount of time to dry age.

Here's what it looked like at day 37

upload_-1

Fat cap side

upload_-1

Out of the bag. No funky smell or nothing out of the ordinary so definitely cleared to move forward:thumb:

upload_-1

upload_-1

First thing I did was remove the membrane

upload_-1

Next I started trimming the desiccated bark off fat cap side

upload_-1

upload_-1

Started to see goodness

upload_-1

Wrapped my knife around and flipped the meat bone side again and continued slicing the bark to try and trim it out in one big piece

upload_-1

Tough as leather

upload_-1

upload_-1

Bark is now trimmed off and nothing but beautiful meat

upload_-1

upload_-1

Next I decided to French it

One cut across

upload_-1

One cut down and alongside the bones

upload_-1

Rough trim

upload_-1

Burger or sausage meat :thumb: Not going to waste

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

Cleaned up and ready to be cut into Cowboy steaks:becky::becky::becky:

upload_-1

upload_-1

First steak. Not too bad for a choice grade:clap2:

upload_-1

And the rest

upload_-1

upload_-1

Oh yeahh!!

upload_-1

Ready to go into the freezer except for one that I will cook in the next day or two

upload_-1

This was lots of fun even considering the hurdle. It turned out great and I'm happy. Thank for looking!!

Excellent write-up and photos!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Those look grand. Thanks for inviting us along!!

I thought this was a great post. Me being a rookie to Q, this is very informative and encouraging. I hope I can do something as grand as that someday. I will stick to the basics for now. Wow thanks for the post!

I love seeing these threads, the meat is so biriful when you cut it open. I've been wanting to try this, finally ordered some bags and gnna give it a shot! :-D

Thanks as I just learned something. I always thought 'dry aging' was open air, not sealed as you did.

Looks great.

WOW.

I gotta try this. Have to take a loan out first. :doh:

Back