THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Folks

As part of my fire management education efforts I'm trying to start feeding my stick burner smaller pieces (length wise against the grain) of wood in hopes that will improve my fire control and make them easier to ignite.

It looks like others use the following to accomplish this:
1) chainsaws
2) miter/chop saws
3) saws-all

Are these the best and safest options? Anyone else do something different?

Thanks
Sam

miter box. push (or clamp) the split firmly against the fence. It isn't going anywhere. A miter box is inherently safer than a chainsaw.

I use a 10" miter saw, have never had an issue the blade turns toward the fence... Just use common sense, don't try to cut too big/diameter a piece, don't force the blade and take your time.

I've used a power miter saw, but they can be unpredictable as far as kickback. I've cut them slowly until only a little bit is left uncut, then I bend to break the last little bit holding the log together. Most of the time, the kickback comes at the last moment when the two pieces are liberated from each other, because the unsupported piece will usually shift a bit.

On my last cook, I used a regular old-school hand carpentry saw (loaned out the miter saw). Wasn't that bad, no kickback, and you get to practice your hand sawing technique. You know, just in case the zombies apocalypse comes, then you can still be sharp on your hand sawing skills. Every time I threw two splits in, I hand cut a log in half, and split them further. That way I stayed ahead of the game and didn't have to do a bunch at a time. They are pretty easy to split with a maul when the logs are cut down in half.

I'll take a smaller split, that is not too big around, and cut it into chunks with my table top band saw.

picture.php

It works well.

I think I'm pretty much out on the idea of the chop/miter saw. Way too many posts about bad experiences with flying chunks of wood. This band saw idea looks good and simple plus they appear to be reasonably priced. However since a chainsaw can both cut both pieces of the trunk into pieces my splitter can handle as well as cut splits/branches into chunks/mini-splits I believe the chainsaw is more versatile. So at least for the immediate term I think I'll go down that route.

I should probably ask on a different thread but il self-hijack and ask if anyone has any recommendations on a entry level chainsaw for this purpose.

I haven't bought a new chainsaw in years, but anything around 50cc's would be a good entry level saw. pair it with a 18" bar and a comp chain and you would be good to go.

Brand wise go with what feels best in your hand. My Sthils are narrower and seem more agile than Husky, My Husky's have better anti-vibe, power wise I'll grab either....but find myself using my Dolmar more often than not lol.

Give Echo a look, a friend picked one up and it felt pretty nice and ran really well.

-D

I learned my lesson with the chop saw - OUCH! I use a vise and the old fashion bow saw to make my cuts. Takes just a little longer but I go back inside with as many parts as I woke up with and a lot less bar oil on the split.

To shorten firewood for my KBQ I use one of the Worx electric JawSaws. Very pleased with how well and easily it works - much better than using my recip saw. It is able to handle 95% of the wood I get from my firewood guy - do have to split a few lengthwise so they'll fit in the jaw. If they had made it lust a bit bigger - able to handle 5" logs it would be perfect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.24.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.24.07 PM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 149
Back