THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryan139

Knows what a fatty is.
Another Brazos/Academy thread. (I'll update this as the whole thing as it plays out and add pics as I take them)

Here is a link to the original thread I jumped in and tried to hijack: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204003

I ordered the Brazos from Academy because for $99 shipping to NJ it's a hard deal to beat. The order was placed on 3/28/16 and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, 4/7/16 (10 days). The carrier called yesterday to confirm the appointment, so sometime between 10am and 2pm tomorrow I will be uploading pics of hopefully a box truck with a lift gate in front of my house. So far, the whole experience hasn't been any more difficult or complicated than ordering socks off Amazon.

I'm really interested in seeing how this Brazos performs. It seems like everyone is using the Wrangler or Pecos. I was interested in a Brazos a couple of years ago, but for the money, I moved up just a little and got a custom.

Good luck with it. I think it's a very good smoker, Joe

I'm really interested in seeing how this Brazos performs. It seems like everyone is using the Wrangler or Pecos. I was interested in a Brazos a couple of years ago, but for the money, I moved up just a little and got a custom.

Good luck with it. I think it's a very good smoker, Joe

Everything I looked at custom, shipped to NJ, and not even custom but something like a Lang to NJ, all seemed to run me almost twice as much for pretty much the same grill (obviously not reverse flow like the Lang, but you get the point).

From your post, I assume that the Brazos has a 16" diameter cooking chamber? I did not see the diameter set out on Academy's website. The following specs are listed:

Product Height (In.): 54
Product Width (In.): 72
Product Depth (In.): 24 (I had thought this might be the same thing as the diameter?)
Product Weight (Lb.): 399
Fuel Type: Coal and wood

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-all-american-brazos-smoker

Well I've got a Brazos and it performs very well. The 1/4" construction really helps to maintain consistent temps. The temps from left to right are very close, just leave the stack open to provide a lot of convection in there. The lid on mine seals very well.

I only have one complaint, the lid really needs a counterweight, it's too heavy to handle safely. Dang near lost some fingers when the lid got away from me one time. Lots of blood & stitches!

I've always said it needs a counter weight - I would add one or pay local welder to add one.

The main grate is 18"x 35.5" so it's 19" or 20" diameter. The Longhorn is 18" diameter and I've seen several use the horizon convection plate for the Longhorn in both the Pecos and Brazos. I would make my own.

So far, the whole experience hasn't been any more difficult or complicated than ordering socks off Amazon.

Hope it's smooth from start to finish for you, Bryan. Looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

My experience with trucking companies suggests that "between 10 and 2" means "before midnight".

Pacific time.

I drove for over 20 yrs as an Owner Operator, the only valid reasons for being late, Breakdowns, Traffic/ accidents, and road closures due to weather. In all the time I had my trucks I could count on two hands the times I was late & have fingers leftover.

Back