THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
OK, hear me out for a minute here...the first weekend of May is our annual kayak fishing tournament held at Jamaica bay in queens. we invade the floyd Bennet field and set up a shanty like town on the old Pan Am clipper ship runways leading into the water. It's a well attended event and a lot of great people. kind of the same folks you meet here but with kayak fishing as a theme.

anyway, here's the idea. Would folks be interested in getting together for a BBQ bash at this event to create the food for the event. Of course we have to work on money logisitics, but the entrants to the tournament set monies aside for a meal. in the past it's been pizza and beer.

I was thinking this could be a fun event for all and would meet the two goals of eating and fishing. Would there be folks interested in this???
Accomodations at the site are...well...a one holer and some camping sites although most of it is done in the open tarmac of the parking area. I could almost guarentee a trip in a kayak if someone is interested, and a lot of lying about fish, and I'm sure some very appreciative people.

Let's hear it...if there is interest here to get together or explore it further, I'll make first contact on the other end. Scott

definatley onto something here..

i think we can arrange for a handful of teams to show up to start the season early. How many people are you talking about?

that sounds like fun.. i think this may be do-able.

except theres always the board of health issues and insurance stuff when it comes to feeding a crowd.

Chad??... can you chime in here. what do u think?

Yes, that is thr tournament. I was thinking this was just a big "picnic" kind of thing. Last time I went I just broight a grill as did others and many people ate. this is truly informal. I know that the host of this tournament has some type of insurance, but not sure what is and isnt included. there were 128 as last year, rain can make it smaller, nice weather larger. usually a smaller crowd on Friday, then the big crowd on saturday.

really looking at two fun events that happened to take place at the same time. Scott

PS, I was thinking easier food, pulled pork, beans, maybe some briskets, ribs are nice but I have feeling most of these guys could do a a rack unto themselves. Butt's are good becuase they're comapct and can cook alot of them. Let's keep hearing it. Scott

OK, got the word there is interest from the host of the event. Looks like we are a current go for a combined kayakfsihing tournament and BBq bash the weekend of May 4, 5, 6. would be looking to feed people on friday eveing, and saturday evening. Let the games begin!

I would be interested!

Camping and fishing at an airport - pretty cool!

Some questions/comments:

- No charging for food, right? If no charge, insurance probably not an issue - it's just a backyard BBQ type thing. Not a lawyer, though.

- We could put a beer "donation bucket" at each station!

- We would bring our own Q's, right?

- Dates?

OK, more details. this is taking palce the weekend of May 4,5,6, 2007. usually there is pre-fishing on friday, I'll be down then, and then saturday is the tournament. usually kicks off about 6 am, fish til 3'ish. There are comings and goings all the time. It will be at the Floyd Bennet Field, that is across the Jamaica-bay from laguardia. We will be on a concrete pad that used to be the setting area for the Pan Am clipper ships. the launch we use will be the old launch used by the Pan am clippers to get into the water. there is one toilet down there, a small campground, but mostly camping on the pad. the area is huge, maybe 8-10 football fields in area. Lot's of room. woould set up the smokers in one area for food and fun, fishing yaks and stuff in another. there is no payment for the Q, but I will work out provision of the meat or something to the similar. Last year there were 128 people in the tournament on Saturday, less friday and sunday.

I hope to get poobah to post a sticky at the top so we can start to generate interst and see who's willing to participate. this is a BYOS(moker), I'll bring my WSM, the BYC isn't on a trailer. More details as we get closer. Scott

You may want to check with NPS that this is OK. I could see the Park Police getting a little nervous about a bunch of large smokers in the middle of a wildlife refuge. I know they allow grilling in other areas of the park, but better to find out sooner than later if they permit grilling in that area.

Good point. we've grilled there before but they have been personal units. I have feeling as long as there are some "extra's" to feed the hosts, it won't be an issue. But defintiely on the list to "find out about"

Yak.. call me during the week to work details out, and then we can start organizing after the holiday and marking our calendars.

Yak
this is a great idea I am so into this. I will just have to check my schedule, may have a catering gig that weekend I will have to blow off.....
Along the same lines, I am attempting to gather a group for the Great Hudson River Paddle that this year begins on July 1st. If I am not able to enter a group in the actual event, I would like to at a minimum do a leg of it with a nice Q set up at the camp that night.

Keep me posted please

Sean

Sean, keep me informed on the great apddle. I have sit on tops that should keep up with most sit inside yaks. would be willing to do some, a leg, and or cook a bit. Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back