MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #16
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

if the stick burning could load the same size logs on a ramp and the fire stayed at 250 and you had to plug in to do it would you and you could leave and go to work or to sleep ????as a pellet guy i like being able to load the hopper and go to sleep and wake up 6 hrs later and see the temp is right at 250 pellets are wood in a pot and there is a fire to keep them lit I dont like the to feed the fire every 2 to 4 hrs on long burns lol just saying im the weird one lol i have a pellet stainless drum lol

Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Although I kid Billy and others about the pellets, I can see the advantages. Sleep, consistency in product, etc. I would use one if I couldn't get a Spicebox orBackwoods for vending and catering. Stickburners are where I get to be the artist. I have fire, wood, metal, and meat. No electronics, no auger noise, no red lights. Take your FEC to a deer lease in Doss Texas, then ask yourself at about midnight if everything is good. I've done it with a stickburner. Just stars, Shiner, and sweet blue. It was good.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
jawquin
Got Wood.

Cook with pellets or heat your home with pellets. I got tired of cutting fire wood. Cook in your pellet stove too. Fill your pellet stove or pellet grill once or twice a day. Kick back.

jawquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

I have a couple of BGE's and an FEC. When I first got my FEC some of the first cooks on it were kind of lack luster, not enough smoke flavor for me. It is certainly a much cleaner tasting smoke, and has a very distinct flavor.

I have gotten around this by doing a low smoke temp(170) with out of the fridge meat for about 4hrs, then raise it to 220-250 for the finish. Since then I have been really liking the product turned out. It is really nice to know that it will be the same time after time. One of the other major reasons was so I could have my wife start/tend/take off anything. I have 2 full time jobs and cater quite a few things. It was really hard with my eggs and having to start a fire (which my wife refused to do). With the fec it is as easy as turning on an oven...Hell I have a 6 step instruction page that ANYONE could walk up and do.

The FEC is isn't great for everyone but for me it fit the bill for what I needed to do...With that said my next purchase will be a stick burner.

Bryan

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
One thing i dont like much is the response time. An FE packed with food will take 30-40 minutes to climb to from 200 to 275-300..
Thats the nice think about Louisiana Grills like the Country Smokers, they have a prime button. I hold it down for 60 seconds and in 5 minutes its 100 degrees hotter.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Last edited by Bentley; 08-10-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Just stars, Shiner, and sweet blue. It was good.

Best quote I have seen in a long time. Well said... Very well said...

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
Bud's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Although I kid Billy and others about the pellets, I can see the advantages. Sleep, consistency in product, etc. I would use one if I couldn't get a Spicebox orBackwoods for vending and catering. Stickburners are where I get to be the artist. I have fire, wood, metal, and meat. No electronics, no auger noise, no red lights. Take your FEC to a deer lease in Doss Texas, then ask yourself at about midnight if everything is good. I've done it with a stickburner. Just stars, Shiner, and sweet blue. It was good.
Please, say........AMEN!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
CBJ
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
Bud's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

LOL If I send you $20 will you send me a tracing of your hand to place over the tv screen when you say your prayers i can place my hand on the tracing too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud's BBQ View Post
Please let me bring some understanding on this matter.

Underneath all of the controversy surrounding so called "pellet poopers" vis a vis real bbq pits that burn actual sticks of wood, is a religious based understanding. Good etiquite suggests that 'religion' not be discussed with friends let alone in public.

That said, the reality is: God don't like pellets and God loves, really loves folks that tend the fire all night with real farkin wood - please put your hands on the radio and say........ "Amen".

The Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargus
Del Rio Texas

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
Best quote I have seen in a long time. Well said... Very well said...
Thats becuz it was orginally

Lonestars and sweet blue.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
Bud's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Thats becuz it was orginally

Lonestars and sweet blue.

Shiner Bock? - from Shiner Texas, great beer

As for puttin' your hand on the tv, we can help you there too.

Send $19.99 + s&h of $11.99 to the Right Reverend and bbq bliss is yours for the takin'................

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
CBJ
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
Bud's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud's BBQ View Post
Please let me bring some understanding on this matter.

Underneath all of the controversy surrounding so called "pellet poopers" vis a vis real bbq pits that burn actual sticks of wood, is a religious based understanding. Good etiquite suggests that 'religion' not be discussed with friends let alone in public.

That said, the reality is: God don't like pellets and God loves, really loves folks that tend the fire all night with real farkin wood - please put your hands on the radio and say........ "Amen".

The Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargus
Del Rio Texas

I personally can tell the difference between whether the meat is cooked over live coals or otherwise. I have eaten meat that was gassed, cooked in them pellet thingys, electric smokers, water pan smokers, and in the oven. I really can't taste much difference in any of those, (except the oven, no smoke). In the UDS I use charcoal and a LOT of wood chunks, I am still coming to terms with not having a fire barrel.

For me, it's got to be live coals, I'm sure 90% of customers can't tell the difference.

How do they hold the pellets together anyway, are they just sawdust pressed into discs? There's no glue in them is there?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Then... I find that there is a HUGE tissy about it.

So please, feel me in. Last time I commented on this I was told, quite abruptly I might ad, that people can and DO win contests with this.

So... as one all wood guy... to other, whatever you guys use. Please, talk to me. No insults, no reason to get all upset, really.... what's the deal? Why is this considered a joke by some.

I have NOT tasted BBQ from this type of machine. I actually CAN tell electric and Gas NTTAWWT.

Once again.... don't be insulting (unless its toward me) because a friend of yours here could use one....
Donnie,
I have quoted your origonal post with edits to get this back to your question, as I understand it.
To paraphrase it---"How much and what kind of smoke flavor???"
Hope I got it right.
Here is my take.

I have cooked on stick burners, charcoal and chunk burners, electrics, gas rigs, and pellet poopers.
"Smoke intensity or flavor" is simply a function of three things:

Type of wood. A hickory log is exactly the same as a pure hickory pellet. Just bigger and less pure/clean.

Amount of smoke. This is normally a function of temp, airflow, and wood quality on any cooker.

And finally, time in the smoke. This is a function of temp.

On pure sticks, I cook hot (300 plus) like you do.
Lots of flavor as you know.
We have won our share of "brass and cash" cooking that way.

The same "lots of smoke flavor" results at middle range temps (230-300?)with sticks or charcoal/chunks for a moderate cooking time.
Once again, our share of "brass and cash" cooking that way.

Now, if you blend the two and cook with pure sticks or a lot of chunks and take them down at the low temp range (200-225?) you get a whole bunch of really intense smoke flavor.

A lot of folks are used to really smoky flavored BBQ.
That is what they have always cooked or been served.
Others consider that intense smoky flavor to be "too much"--just a matter of taste.

Enter the Pellet Pooper.
They use pure wood--no change there.
But, they burn in a small "firepot" that is fueled by pellets and augmented with a blast of air.
Simply a "Forge" fire type situation.
Very efficient--in fact too efficient at times.
If I put a butt or brisket in my FEC or Traeger and cook it at 350 (like I did on a stick burner), it has little smoke flavor compared to a stick burner--for sure.

Now, since I understand a pellet pooper, I will normally cook at a low temp for an hour or (many hours). This gets me back to the smoke flavor I want.
Two things happen--
1. A longer time "in the smoke" and that is good no matter what you are cooking on (to a point).
2. The firepot is less efficient at low temps resulting is a lot more "smoke" being produced.

After a "smoke" period, I just bump to higher temps and finish the cook.

Will a pellet pooper ever produce the intense smoke flavor of a stick burner run at the low to mid 200's---never.

But, it is a fine smoke flavor for most of us.
For lack of a better name, I consider it to be a gentle but pleasing smoke flavor.
And Friends, Family, and Judges seem to agree

CHIT--I just ran on forever!
Sorry--just important to me for folks to understand.

I now own two pellet machines, each for a different purpose and with two different personalities.
My life is so much simpler now, compared to my days of sticks or charcoal/chunks.

Just works for me.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Who was your last enlish teacher, I'm tellin!
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #29
NewEnglandQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Started with Pellet Cooker

I started with a pellet cooker and loved it. After a while I wanted the ability to add more smoke flavor and found two ways to do it. Cook on smoke for a while and then increase to finish, or cook with mesquite which will provide more smoke flavor.

Recently I bought a BGE and have a blast cooking on it and having the ability to really smoke different pieces of meat that can handle the extra flavor. But when it comes to making pulled pork or brisket, I put them on the pellet cooker before I go to bed and can sleep as long as I want with no worries. I had about 80 people at my 4th of july party and was able to serve a ton of bbq and party with everyone all night cause I wasnt up all night BBQing the night before.

When I am cooking for the fun of it I use the BGE, when I am cooking because I want some good bbq and don't have the time to dedicate, I use the egg.
Traeger 075
Jenn Air Gasser
Grand Hall Smoker
Smith & Wesson Pellet Bullet
Fire Magic Built-in Charcoal Grill
NewEnglandQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #30
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

Who cares what every one thinks!

It's your money that you use to buy a cooker with.........

You pay your money and make your choices, so as long as you are happy^^^^
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote