The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
TxBBQBear
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 3 New 55 Gallon Barrels

Folks,

I just bought 3 55 gallon barrels from Mrs. Bairds bakery in Abilene, TX. There were 55 gallon open head steel drums with lid and locking ring. I paid $8/each, so $24 for all 3.

They contained Tough Grease, so I washed the first one out with soap and water, filled it with wood and dropped abt 1/3 of a chimney of hot charcoals in it. It is burning as I type. It worked great.

If anybody is looking for barrels let me know. They sell them when they have them and they don't always have them with lid and ring. The lids on the ones I got already have 2 holes cut in them so that works out great.

keith
TxBBQBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
TxBBQBear
Found some matches.

Here are pics of my first cleaning of a 55 gallon barrel. It had Trough Grease from a bakery.
http://picasaweb.google.com/keithclay/BurningOutDrum
TxBBQBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Coach_Mac
Knows what a fatty is.

I may holler at you for a barell or 2 in November when I go out to Lubbock for a game.
Coach_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
ROLANON
Got Wood.

I have never been able to get there when they have them available... I gave up and am building my own smoker out of something more interesting... but, I am glad somebody is going to put them to good use!

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBBQBear View Post
Folks,

I just bought 3 55 gallon barrels from Mrs. Bairds bakery in Abilene, TX. There were 55 gallon open head steel drums with lid and locking ring. I paid $8/each, so $24 for all 3.

They contained Tough Grease, so I washed the first one out with soap and water, filled it with wood and dropped abt 1/3 of a chimney of hot charcoals in it. It is burning as I type. It worked great.

If anybody is looking for barrels let me know. They sell them when they have them and they don't always have them with lid and ring. The lids on the ones I got already have 2 holes cut in them so that works out great.

keith
yeah rub it in, i still cant get 3 closed head barrels! good luck though
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, that is a great find. Wish I could find some on the east coast for that price..

Tags
55 gallon, barrel, cleaning, drums