cooking for 200.

hnd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
1/4 of that being children.

pork butts. and brisket. i'm thinking 2/3 pork butt and 1/3 brisket.

how many of each am i looking at? pb's here are around 8lbs and briskies are around 12-14lbs.

i was thinking 5 briskets and 16 butts equalling about 200lbs in uncooked food...

am i high or low.

its a potluck where everyone brings a side to share...

we provide the meat and buns.

Is this a paid gig? If so, someone might get a little pissed if you have more pork than briskie!

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll be cooking for 150 in a few weeks so I'll be watching the results.

Is this a paid gig? If so, someone might get a little pissed if you have pork than briskie!

nope its for our church...i just need to make sure i don't prepare too much or too little food.

only doing a 1/3 briskie because its not super popular around here.

200 / 3 = 66.666 call it 67.

2/3 or 133 x 5.33 = 708.89 = 44 1/4 lb = 88 lb raw weight of BB. With 50% yield serving 5.33 Oz / portion, children and adults the same weight / portion.

1/3 or 67 x 5.33 = 357.11 = 22 1/3lb = 44 2/3lb raw weight briskets. With 50% yield serving 5.33 Oz / portion, children and adults the same weight / portion.

That is making it an either / or meat choice, first come, first served, meal. If I was in your shoes I'd up the pork a little to cover serving all 200 a serving of pork, and offer the brisket as well, or if you know the members of your church, sell or offer tickets, then you'll have an idea ahead of the cook what sort of numbers you'll have for each, it may mean you cook a little more of one or the other meats, but the more accurate the information you work with the closer you can get to feeding everyone, with the minimum amount of waste.

JM2C!

nope its for our church...i just need to make sure i don't prepare too much or too little food.

only doing a 1/3 briskie because its not super popular around here.

Gotcha and happy smoking, brother!

I do 200 all the time, really. For a mixed crown with kids, we do 1/4# per person. With no kids we up it to 1/3#, for all guys - especially drunks, we go to 1/2#.

For your 200 I'd do 25#'s each pork and brisket, and then do the chicken as extra just to be safe. Probably 50 chicken quarters. If you want to back off pork and brisket throw out a 10# case of 5:1 all beef hot dogs for the kids.

The "Potluck" part is the scary part. You have no control. You have no count. You are cooking the meat. Your BBQ pit has your name on it.

I cook EVERYTHING or I cook NOTHING. I learned this the hard way from people with "GOOD IDEAS GONE ASTRAY"

When 50 people approach you all whining "We are out of salad." or "We are out of Beans." What will you do---it is out of your control.

You can hear thru the grapevine next week about what a terrible caterer you are

The "Potluck" part is the scary part. You have no control. You have no count. You are cooking the meat. Your BBQ pit has your name on it.

I cook EVERYTHING or I cook NOTHING. I learned this the hard way from people with "GOOD IDEAS GONE ASTRAY"

When 50 people approach you all whining "We are out of salad." or "We are out of Beans." What will you do---it is out of your control.

You can hear thru the grapevine next week about what a terrible caterer you are

Have confidence and don't sweat the small stuff. Cook good food and don't worry about what the others bring. Let your food speak for itself. I do quite a few just meat deals. Two weeks ago did the butts, brisket, ribs and sausage. I was grateful I didn't have to do the sides. The good sides ran out fast and the other stuff didn't.

If you hear it through the grapevine that you did a terrible job, then you probably did. There is a lot of mediocre BBQ out there. I didn't mean to be harsh, but I call it like it is. I alsways bring extra and still run out of stuff and still get return gigs. So that theory don't float.

200 / 3 = 66.666 call it 67.

2/3 or 133 x 5.33 = 708.89 = 44 1/4 lb = 88 lb raw weight of BB. With 50% yield serving 5.33 Oz / portion, children and adults the same weight / portion.

1/3 or 67 x 5.33 = 357.11 = 22 1/3lb = 44 2/3lb raw weight briskets. With 50% yield serving 5.33 Oz / portion, children and adults the same weight / portion.

That is making it an either / or meat choice, first come, first served, meal. If I was in your shoes I'd up the pork a little to cover serving all 200 a serving of pork, and offer the brisket as well, or if you know the members of your church, sell or offer tickets, then you'll have an idea ahead of the cook what sort of numbers you'll have for each, it may mean you cook a little more of one or the other meats, but the more accurate the information you work with the closer you can get to feeding everyone, with the minimum amount of waste.

JM2C!

so i was almost on....maybe throw another butt or 2 on there....no problem...thanks for the input.

thanks everyone else as well...

this is not a paid gig, its our church's 4th of july picnic. it usually is a potluck and people fend for themselves anyway...this year we provide the main course and they bring sides...

i will be hauling 4 smokers to the church parking lot and we will be having an all nighter with me, the college pastor, and a some of the college aged guys...should be a blast....hoping to instill the bbq bug in these guys..

Back