MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #2761
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Is you basket sitting on the bottom of the drum?
Maybe I on the wrong post...
I agree, they are all a bit different.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Now Weiser take it easy on little Timmy.
My latest drum likes to sit about 250 to 260 with two vents 1/2 open. It does not like having only one vent open, mind of its own there. So I will just make my cooks a little shorter. And like SFBBQguy said catch the temp on the way up.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #2762
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

it is raised about two inches. maybe i can make the sides solid or change charcoal from the lump? any thoughts about the lump?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #2763
chasmosis
Knows what a fatty is.

Any Brethren in St. Louis area looking for a drum (had coconut oil in it no liner, removable lid, lever type ring)?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59653
chasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #2764
liquorman
Knows what a fatty is.

Finding a barrel is harder than I thought !! When I was a kid they were all over now everthing comes in plastic

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home

Fred

Winston Churchill:

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
liquorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #2765
packrat
Found some matches.

This might be a good thread to ask. I currently have a GOSM, but will soon have my own UDS built (after a friend build his). He is EXTREMELY happy at the temp control. I have not cooked on it yet. How would you compare the food coming off the UDS compared to a GOSM?
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #2766
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Default UDS finally complete

Well it took a lot of reading to get to this point but I made it.

Got the barrel from a reconditioning co. in Woburn, MA $30.

Gave it a burn out, even though they send all of theirs through an incinerator
at some crazy temp. Here is a pre-burn out interior shot. No Liner for me

The charcoal basket. 12" tall expando attached to a Weber grate with an aluminum handle all bolted to a freebie cover to a 30 Gal drum.

Drum all painted and patiently waiting to be assembled

All assembled and experiencing some smelly briquettes for it's seasoning run, I much prefer lump for cooking. The beer sitting on top is from a local MA brewer. It is called Green Monsta, for the wall at Fenway Park. Today is Opening Day at Fenway! Spring is here at last!!

Thanks everyone for all your contributions and help on this thread. Never would have tried this without you!

Right now it's running at 252* with 1 cap off and the ball valve at 1/4 open, it was up to 300* with 1 cap off and the ball valve full open. Closed it down to 1/4 about a half hour ago, down went the temps. Fabulous. Again thanks for the fun.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #2767
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Nice!

With those temps ya can tell that you can follow instructions!
That is somewhat refreshing nowadays.
I like the basket too. It should be good for 18-20 hours.
Nice job Smokin!

You may want to consider a handle on the lid.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post

The charcoal basket. 12" tall expando attached to a Weber grate with an aluminum handle all bolted to a freebie cover to a 30 Gal drum.

All assembled and experiencing some smelly briquettes for it's seasoning run, I much prefer lump for cooking. The beer sitting on top is from a local MA brewer. It is called Green Monsta, for the wall at Fenway Park. Today is Opening Day at Fenway! Spring is here at last!!

Thanks everyone for all your contributions and help on this thread. Never would have tried this without you!

Right now it's running at 252* with 1 cap off and the ball valve at 1/4 open, it was up to 300* with 1 cap off and the ball valve full open. Closed it down to 1/4 about a half hour ago, down went the temps. Fabulous. Again thanks for the fun.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #2768
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Thank You Weiser. Somehow the handle and the hanging hook got forgotten in all the excitement. But you are right, the top needs a handle.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2769
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

nice u d s. ill have to take pics of mine and post them

Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #2770
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

No problem Brother, just trying to help.

Weiser

Quote:
Thank You Weiser. Somehow the handle and the hanging hook got forgotten in all the excitement. But you are right, the top needs a handle.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #2771
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Well, started a season/test burn yesterday afternoon at 4 PM with 10 lbs of briquettes. It is now 8:30 in the AM and it is still going. This thing is amazing! It held temps between 215-250* with just the occasional kick/shake or minor tweek of the ball valve. Fell asleep and untouched for six hours the temps held constant. Fabulous! 18 hours on ten lbs. In the off-set that would take about 35 lbs. First cook will be this weekend. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the journey!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #2772
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

is the aluminum handle on the basket a good idea? thought aluminum was a no no...

Quote:

22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #2773
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I had a lot of issues with low temps. I tried various things - changing the intakes from pipe bushings to pipe nipples, changing the ash pan from the tabletop bbq to a commercial pizza pan. Then I found the answer (for my problem anyway - humidity.

First burn I used a partial bag of charcoal - it had been open for a while. Second burn I used a full bag, but it had been in the garage (near the dryer vent) for 6 months. Third burn I bought a new bag from the store. First two burns had trouble maintaining 225 with 2 nipples and a valve open. Third had no problems with 2/3 valve and -0- nipples open.

Humidity in the charcoal must just eat btus as it evaporates, plus it probably slows combustion as well.

Last week I ran a hot burn. I ignited lots of the remaining coals from the 3rd burn with a weed burner then ran with 1 valve and 2 nipples open - no probably maintaining 350. We have had several rains, so I expect my charcoal was humid again. Perhaps if you get it hot enough then you can dry out the charcoal - not sure.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #2774
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
is the aluminum handle on the basket a good idea? thought aluminum was a no no...

Well we all use those disposable aluminum pans, and aluminum foil on ribs, butts and brisket, well most of us anyway. So I figure the handle isn't in direct contact with any food and is folded off to the side when the cook is on. How bad can it be? Don't really know. Anyone?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #2775
livens
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Aluminum is perfectly safe for cooking. Alot of the cheaper cookware out there is Al and have seen several bare Al dutch ovens. Pretty sure Weber is using Al for some of their ash catchers.

Just dont make cool-aid in it and you will be fine.
livens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker