oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Maybe we can keep the hijacking down to a minimum at least in this forum?

Thanks, Bubba! This is a business forum and as stated in the "charter."
I know we all sneak a funny in from time to time, but at the very least respond to the business question first,please.

Another note is to not make this a place for unfriendly BS. I know a forum where folks can go to participate in that behavior; just pm me for the url.

One of the reasons I and probably others requested Phil to start this section is because I enjoy the spirit of the Brethren and got tired of the name calling and BS at another BBQ catering section at that "other" forum. This thread is not that bad, but the baked bean thread did make me do a double take as to the url I were viewing.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers and Grizzly Coolers

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

10 racks, 2 10# cans doctored up beans, a couple butts, and all the other sides. Might consider a serving line (they are used to it) for the first round to control portions.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

they delete something? Divemaster and I were certainly not being unfriendly and I know for one, I would definitely belong in here as a caterer, along with you and Divemaster.

Evceryone, Lighten up man, please. I am not sure I have ever gotten in trouble for poking fun at myself. Try not to start trouble where there is none.

Actually, if you are talking to me, and you may not be, BOTH dive and I DID answer the question first.

Anyway, at least three people agree that you should stock up on the ribs for those brave boys fighting for our country.

Divemaster is just funning with me. If I have posted this in error, taking your post wrong, smoke, I am sorry.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Haven't had your ribs (never been invited). If they are as good as your briskit, I would make at least as much as Country suggested. Any leftovers could go to the closest Brethren to you (say within 4 blocks).

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
Bigdog

For those boys, I'd figure 1/2 a rack per soldier.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Divemaster

First of all I apologize if anyone thought that we were trying to hijack the thread... That was not either of our intention...

Now if you read back to my postings, even with the levity, I did ask a question as to how this was to be served. It is my feeling that without that information there is no way I (or we) can assist by making assumptions. It is the difference between essentially making a 'Rib Dinner' or a 'BBQ Platter'.

Again, I'm sorry if you took my posting wrong as I too enjoy reading and learning from this section.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #22
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

If they are on a budget, it is going to be a tough pill to swallow trying to justify 25 racks of ribs.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post
If they are on a budget, it is going to be a tough pill to swallow trying to justify 25 racks of ribs.
That's why I'm recommending a pre-determined plate of pulled pork, 2 ribs, portion of chicken, a piece of sausage, and sides.. By having a set plate, you can use more of the, as Bubba called it, 'Fillers' of pulled pork and side dishes where if you just let them at it the ribs are going to be gone in a heart beat...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I serve 12 bones per slab.
Mista, here are my two cents. If I'm selling a slab (not cut), I would say 12 bones, but if I am serving individual bones or two, there are going to be some people who feel like they got jipped. 10 bones wouldn't burn any bridges amongst friends.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
Norcoredneck

Ok so her dad is footing what is needed. I checked on St Luis cut spares. Does anyone know roughly how many slabs are in a case from Resturaunt Depot?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #26
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Norco,
When and where is this event? Do you want some Brethren help? Time and location dependent, I might be able to show and take out the trash or something useful....

All you have to do is say the word and I bet you could get some more free pot washers.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #27
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Ok so her dad is footing what is needed. I checked on St Luis cut spares. Does anyone know roughly how many slabs are in a case from Resturaunt Depot?
12 per yummy case. Wish they would finish trimming them though. You still have to pull the membrane off the back!!!!!
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

We are all BBQ artists, and we are all proud of our BBQ. The result of this love for BBQ is that we all want to cook meat, because that is our forte. The word "BUDGET" requires different thinking.

The original post says that "THEY" are having many side dishes. Who are "THEY" and what side dishes and what quanities? Have "THEY" ever done this before? Early in my catering career I did several events like this---I just supplied the meat. I no longer do "meat only" events. I was standing proudly with my highly visible lettered BBQ pit, wearing my fancy embroidered chef's coat ---but wait the salad ran out---the bread ran out---the beans ran out. The attendees at the BBQ were looking at me and complaining----I BECAME THE HIGHLY VISIBLE BAD GUY. My wife overheard a conversation at work the next day about what a terrible caterer I was, because of the undersupplied side dishes. SIDE DISHES ARE YOUR FRIEND !!

Marines are young men, and young men can eat vast quanities of food. It is up to you to decide what they are going to eat and how much they are going to eat of it.
Have side dishes and have plenty of them. You can be brave and set up a buffet line with no servers. Start placing stuff on the table--first plates, napkins and silverware. Plate size is very important--plate size is portion control. I usually use 9 1/4 inch three compartment plates by Chinet. The 3 compartment plates are also are a hint as to serving size--each compartment only holds so much. Then start arranging side dishes down the table. Figure out an approx. "Cost per serving" of each dish and line them up in order with "Lowest" cost first. Tossed salad is cheap, corn cobbettes are cheap, bread is cheap, beans are cheap. Your goal is to have the BBQ attendees be gently and subtly encouraged to fill their plates before they get to the meat.

I agree with using "filler" meats---pulled pork is awesome for this. Make a large load of pulled pork and put it first in the line---line up the meat in the same manner as the other dishes----least expensive goes first. You can control rib portions without having someone standing there passing them out. If you want each person to eat 2 ribs----cut the ribs in 2 piece sections ----or 3 rib sections, whatever. Two ribs together look larger--so they take less than they would of single ribs. Three ribs in a section looks huge and you will hear comments and see grins----but you have subtly set up for a 3 rib per person gathering. Also the larger rib cuts "Overfill" the plate.

Another cost saving strategy is to put out a chafing tray full of Hot Dogs about a half hour before you plan to serve. Simply state that you saw some restless, hungry kids so you thought it would be helpful to put out hot dogs, buns and condiments. This helps in 3 ways---1) children are fed early, and parents will not have to deal with them during serving time 2) Many "hungry" adults that are smelling BBQ cooking will eat a hot dog appetizer 3) Any hot dogs consumed will save you money on your more expensive meats.

Beans are your best friend. Although I disagree with using the word "can" and the word "bean" in the same sentence---beans can help you. Beans made from rock hard dried beans in a sack are cheaper to make---thus helping budget. Flavor has been argued in another thread. Those that doctor up canned beans always use the same arguement--" They taste "almost" as good as homemade." Beans are the best "filler food" at any BBQ. Do not be afraid----do not weaken----t6hrow out the four ounce serving rule. Make beans and make lots of beans. Next to the beans put some 12 ounce bowls. The "lowly friole" will cut your meat costs.

Last but not least. Serve the meat in chafing trays that are not heaped full. Keep a constant eye on the meat trays and fill them often----but not too full. BBQ attendees take less meat if it appears that there is not "Tons" of meat. If you fill a very large electric roaster with huge amounts of meat---they will take more than they need ---just because it is there.

BBQ pitmasters live off of compliments----but sometimes compliments sre received out of politeness or thankfulness because of the group or charity that you have just fed. When it comes to seeing if a BBQ was a success there is only one true measuring device. The device to measure sucess is the "Trash Can." Trash Cans never lie or exaggerate. Look in the trash cans after serving is done. If you did your job right, there will be no meat thrown away---and perhaps a few 12 ounce bowls with a little left over beans.

Portion control is cost control---I have had a server at every single dish, serving exact portions. The portion control is exact, but those being served don't like it, and servers need to be paid. I have found that it is less expensive to subtly control buffet lines and BBQ attendees have no complaints about servings.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #29
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

On the beans question, 2-3 #10 cans should do it. But be ready to doctor them up.

Have fun! And thanks for serving our men & women.
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="frank@roaringforkbbq.com"]frank@roaringforkbbq.com[/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
oceanpigassassins
On the road to being a farker

Minimum one rack for three people about 17 racks for 50 people