MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Karubecue
Got Wood.

Default Liquid Nitrogen

We have an annual church fundraiser coming up. Guessing 1600 lbs raw weight over 4 cooking days. Most customers want product frozen for later consumption, so this sets up a bottleneck in the freezing department. Has anyone ever tried dunking a (cooked and rested) brisket/butt/chicken in LN2 to freeze quickly for transfer to a holding freezer? I'm guessing the thawed texture would be improved as well. Thoughts appreciated. Bill

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Popdaddy has only dumped people that break the rules in liquid Nitrogen.

Ya Gotta Shake somethin, right?

Oh... don't dip food.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Boy, some of my customers use 500# cylinders of that chit, piped into a box to freeze bushings so they will shrink a few thousands....I'm not sure if I would introduce food to something like that....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

...can you imagine if you dropped a freshly-dipped butt? That stuff'd shatter like glass, and then you'd have one hell of a time explaining how you put your eye out with a pork splinter.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Karubecue
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
...can you imagine if you dropped a freshly-dipped butt? That stuff'd shatter like glass, and then you'd have one hell of a time explaining how you put your eye out with a pork splinter.

MMMMmmmm ... shattered pork sandwich.

Lots of food is frozen with LN2 immersion - it's not harmful and the texture is better. But it's usually used with smaller items, I think. Like frozen pies.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Norcoredneck

Liquid nitrogen, almost as fun as a weedburner. That is what we use at work. It is -298 degrees F. average. Very dangerous. Personally I don't see it happening. How are you getting the LN2? Is it in a dewar? Open top or pressurized vessle? Got to remember LN2 will expand as it gass's off. Don't want to trap it. We thermal shock stuff by dunking it in LN2. We chill stuff using a coil of copper and run pressurized liquid through it. A standard dewar is pressurized at 20-25 psi. If you have a cooler you can put a copper line in sidewall, vent on other and inject/bleed liquis into it and rappidly bring down temp. Will try and see if I can get picks of a set up we got going right now. Depends on security classification. Will post tonight is possible.

Side note if you have liquid you can make some awesome icecream. I will see if I can dig up recipe/procedure. Horseplaying with LN2 someone at work put a 2 litre of coke in a ss bucket with cap on. Froze so fast it blew the top off. Imagine coke showered acoustic ceiling, electronic equipment. Also stuck a stick in a bananna and froze it, slammed it on the grouns and it shattered. Real cool until the pieces that went unger equipment started to rot. Makes quick work of a "Borrowed" $5 for a magic trick . Heard of a hot seat? pour a little in the cushion of a coworkers office chair, dust off frost and if they sit down before it totally gass's off and Bam! frozen Nards.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karubecue View Post
We have an annual church fundraiser coming up. Guessing 1600 lbs raw weight over 4 cooking days. Most customers want product frozen for later consumption, so this sets up a bottleneck in the freezing department. Has anyone ever tried dunking a (cooked and rested) brisket/butt/chicken in LN2 to freeze quickly for transfer to a holding freezer? I'm guessing the thawed texture would be improved as well. Thoughts appreciated. Bill
That's ambitious. I wouldn't try it, but I'd be interested in knowing the results. Hell, I don't know if I'd want to let the Fire Department know or not!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Karubecue
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Liquid nitrogen, almost as fun as a weedburner. That is what we use at work. It is -298 degrees F. average. Very dangerous. Personally I don't see it happening. How are you getting the LN2? Is it in a dewar? Open top or pressurized vessle? Got to remember LN2 will expand as it gass's off. Don't want to trap it. We thermal shock stuff by dunking it in LN2. We chill stuff using a coil of copper and run pressurized liquid through it. A standard dewar is pressurized at 20-25 psi. If you have a cooler you can put a copper line in sidewall, vent on other and inject/bleed liquis into it and rappidly bring down temp. Will try and see if I can get picks of a set up we got going right now. Depends on security classification. Will post tonight is possible.

Side note if you have liquid you can make some awesome icecream. I will see if I can dig up recipe/procedure. Horseplaying with LN2 someone at work put a 2 litre of coke in a ss bucket with cap on. Froze so fast it blew the top off. Imagine coke showered acoustic ceiling, electronic equipment. Also stuck a stick in a bananna and froze it, slammed it on the grouns and it shattered. Real cool until the pieces that went unger equipment started to rot. Makes quick work of a "Borrowed" $5 for a magic trick . Heard of a hot seat? pour a little in the cushion of a coworkers office chair, dust off frost and if they sit down before it totally gass's off and Bam! frozen Nards.
I'm thinking pour from a dewar into a steel tub and dunk in that. Or maybe the dewar itself is big enough?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Norcoredneck

I wouldn't personally pour it right on the food. Maybe in a tub, in cardboard box off bottom (on bricks), pour in and put a piece of plywood over tub. Have you ever fooled around with LN2? Pot some in a styrofoam cup. It will boil until gone. Put a piece of cardboard ocer cup. it will calm down and vent as needed. LN2 will hold a lot longer. I just feel dunking it is too much of an instant shock. I honestly don't think food is dunked but more introduced to an extreme cold environment. A little LN2 in a vessle will rapidly change the temp. It's more about recovery time than actually submerging it.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
bigabyte

I'm eager to see the results. I'm thinking it will take a while, using more LN2 than may be worth it for just texture. I'm also wondering if the fact that it's going to take a little bit to freeze through, if there won't be some cracking.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Norcoredneck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j02WUaIF1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBaf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFpy...eature=related

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Norcoredneck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKY0orWnYfQ

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

You could use dry ice. Slab on top, slab on the bottom. Will freeze it pretty fast, and it will be safer.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

I would phone a couple freight companies and see if they would donate some time with one of their refer trailers. Lots of trailers sitting m/t right now.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
I would phone a couple freight companies and see if they would donate some time with one of their refer trailers. Lots of trailers sitting m/t right now.
Bingo... they rent cheap even if you can't get the donation.

I've heard that they can freeze beer kegs at the American Royal.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote