MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #2536
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Went back and read it again. The 3/4" X 1/2" bushings are restricting the airflow. The first build I did I used them for a cleaner close look. Had to have 4 to get temps. Since went to 3/4" nipples with caps and it seems to be just about perfect.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #2537
leanza
Babbling Farker

Here's my contribution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0256.jpg (47.9 KB, 1511 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0260.jpg (53.3 KB, 1506 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0264.jpg (47.0 KB, 1506 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0268.jpg (61.3 KB, 1512 views)

Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #2538
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Here's my crew...

(Left to Right) # 2 is the one with the Flat-top... Silverbelly is my original UDS... I've been averaging a smoke a week on him since I built him last September. And finally, #3 is the tall one...he scored a rescued Weber Kettle bottom for a lid...a few mods and it worked out pretty good...
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #2539
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanza View Post
Here's my contribution.
Glad to see you have taken the leap. Pretty soon all So Cal Brethren will have at least 1 UDS, oh except Country. And let me clarify that, At least one complete UDS except Country and Brian. Must be something in the first name.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #2540
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Norco,

What's this pool acid you speak of? Can you be a little more specific with the instructions (how long of a soak)? Would one get the same results by burning the galvanized fittings or is an acid bath the way to go?

Thanks!
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #2541
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Went back and read it again. The 3/4" X 1/2" bushings are restricting the airflow. The first build I did I used them for a cleaner close look. Had to have 4 to get temps. Since went to 3/4" nipples with caps and it seems to be just about perfect.

Yup, had to reread this myself. Not enough intake here. Replace with pipe nipples and you should see a big difference.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #2542
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I have switched to pipe nipples and a pizza pan ash catcher. An ATB run with 3lbs of recycled lump was promising - will probably do another overnight BBQ next weekend as a better test. Thanks for all the imput.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #2543
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up New Drum Today.

This one is a keeper!
Took my old Weber lid to the drum guy and searched through at least fifty drums till I found one that fit just right.
All of these drums are a bit different, a tape will be of little help. Take your lid! Dunno who suggested that back on page 50 something,but is Great advice.

I didn't want one with a sprayed on liner, that narrowed the selection down a bit. Went to the TOXIC area!
Several hundred of them there. Found a fit and flipped the guy a twenty as that was what I paid him for the last one.
He gave me five in change. Cool, 15 Bucks for a perfect one.
He de-headed it and threw in something else in that will serve as my next project Gratis!

Weiser
Life Is Good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum Interior.jpg (118.3 KB, 1405 views)
File Type: jpg Lid Fit 2.jpg (111.8 KB, 1406 views)
File Type: jpg Lid Fit 1.jpg (85.3 KB, 1406 views)
File Type: jpg Poison! We'll All Die!.JPG (96.7 KB, 1422 views)
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #2544
DaveT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Beers View Post
Here's my crew...

(Left to Right) # 2 is the one with the Flat-top... Silverbelly is my original UDS... I've been averaging a smoke a week on him since I built him last September. And finally, #3 is the tall one...he scored a rescued Weber Kettle bottom for a lid...a few mods and it worked out pretty good...
I like the "bottom for a lid" idea. looks like it is a lot taller. More room for say a Turkey.
DCS Gasser
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #2545
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
This one is a keeper!
Took my old Weber lid to the drum guy and searched through at least fifty drums till I found one that fit just right.
All of these drums are a bit different, a tape will be of little help. Take your lid! Dunno who suggested that back on page 50 something,but is Great advice.

I didn't want one with a sprayed on liner, that narrowed the selection down a bit. Went to the TOXIC area!
Several hundred of them there. Found a fit and flipped the guy a twenty as that was what I paid him for the last one.
He gave me five in change. Cool, 15 Bucks for a perfect one.
He de-headed it and threw in something else in that will serve as my next project Gratis!

Weiser
Life Is Good!
Now all you need is a galvanized charcoal basket and hardware!

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #2546
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

Hi guys,
newby to the bretheren here.Been reading the thread for days now and I'm pumped!After scrounging around for awhile I bought a reconditioned drum [burned out and sprayed i\s with steel shot] with removeable top and two bungs.
Last night I drilled 3 holes for the 3-3\4 nipples; one with ball valve,sprayed her i\s with veg oil, loaded a ssbbq veggi wok thing full of kingsford 4" up from the bottom and lit er up.After a bit of experimenting with caps and valves I got it cruising @ 225 for 5 hours before losing temp.Coals were ashed over and could've used a giggle.I'm so impressed!I now have to source out some expanded steel for a real charcole basket and rig up some bolts to support my rack.I want to get cooking soon, my brother's 50 is Friday and I'm thinkin pork!

thank so much for all the great ideas;this forum rocks!

Rockyathabaska

P.s.do you guys figure I could use a longer exhaust tube and bring my new uds inside to heat my igloo?I'll post pics when I learn how to.
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #2547
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

I finally did it.....

I have such a wonderful wife.
After months of reading and rereading this post and talking about how bad I wanted one and how efficient they are,she flipped me the credit card last week and told he to go get the stuff.

I found a clean open top and gathered the necessary parts for the build and finally got started this morning around 9:30.

2 1/2 hours and 3 beers later(I drink slow) She 's done and on her seasoning run. Caught her on the way up and she's been holding right between 240 and 250 for the last 2 1/2 hours.

3 intakes,1 open and the ball valve somewhere round 1/4 open and she's chugging right along. Still need to put handles and a shelf on but for right now she's doing great Now all N need it a remote thermo and a weber lid

Thanks for all of the great advice. The build went smooth as a baby's bottom.

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]

Last edited by dbeast420; 03-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: added text
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #2548
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

we need pictures beast420

Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #2549
jd-santaclarita
Got Wood.

Hi Guys - I am getting to the final stages of my UDS. I have the expended metal and charcoal grate and bolts to build the charcoal basket identical to Norco's example. The only deal is i thought i was getting a welder and a visit from someone who is a welder....that could help me weld it all up....long story short those 2 things are not coming together. Can someone steer me to a weldless version of this charcoal basket. I already bought the stuff, so i dont want to go with a different version of basket...hopefully there is a weldless version of this basket out there. I cant seem to find it though. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,
JD
jd-santaclarita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #2550
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

SON OF A MONKEY!!
Just finished reading entire thread for the second time...it didn't get any shorter the second time around.
Started on my UDS last weekend. So far so good...except for the angle grider fitted with a cup brush getting caught in my shirt and doing a number on my belly...(too much whiskey mod). I will post pics as soon as I figure out how.
My thanks to all that have posted their ideas.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker