• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Leftover Smoked Turkey Gumbo

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is how I spent my downtime today...Dealing with Leftovers...:biggrin:
I rough chopped some Onions, Jalapenos, Banana Peppers and Celery and added it all into my Stock Pot along with 2 Bay Leaves and 1 Tablespoon of PepperCorns with 2 TableSpoons of Emeril's Bayou Blast on the Smoked Turkey Carcass and Legs to make Stock...
Stock-Prep_1.jpg
Covered it with water and brought it to a boil then cut the heat back to a simmer for 2.5 hours....the house smells wonderful.....
Stock-Prep_2.jpg
Once it was "there" I strained the Stock...
Stock-Finish_3.jpg
Then I pulled Meat from the Carcass and Legs, chopped 7 strips of Bacon, Two Turkey Kielbasas, 1 Large Yellow Onion, 2 BellPeppers, 3 Stalks of Celery, 1 Bunch of Parsley, 13 Cloves of Garlic, Okra and 1 Bunch of Green Onions..
Gumbo-Prep_4.jpg
Fried up the Bacon till Crispy...
Bacon-Fry_5.jpg
Browned the Sausage...
Sausage-Brown_6.jpg
Added All Purpose Flour to the Grease to make My Roux...Pretty, Ain't It?
Rue-Made_7.jpg
Added the "Trinity" to the Roux and cooked for 20 minutes, then added the garlic and cooked another 5 minutes...
Trinty-Cooking_8.jpg
Added the HomeMade Turkey Stock to the Pot along with the Okra, brought it to a Boil then Cut Back to A simmer for 1 Hour....
Adding-Stock_9.jpg
Then Added Texas Pete Hot Sauce, Salt and Black Pepper to Taste..
Added the Turkey Meats, Bacon and Sausage back into the pot and let that simmer for another Hour.
I decided to add some 2 dozen Shrimps to the Gumbo and let that cook for 5 minutes then stirred in the Parsley. Cooked up a pot of Long Grained Rice. And Then......
SupperTime.....:biggrin:
Gumbo-Nom-Nom_Nom_10.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

That my friend is so incredibly awesome looking. I'd love to get me some of that.

Looks farkin fantastic N8man!! Great way to use the turkey leftovers.

Aww man I KNOW that was great. Never had turkey gumbo, but I'd be damned if I never do because of you!

The only thing I would do is make more roux, I like my gumbo a little thicker, but regardless of my own preference. I would gladly accept 2 bowls of yours tonight, as well as every drop of leftovers for tomorrow.

Xcellent job!

DAYUUUUMMM!!! That looks killer. The color is so appetizing and flavorful looking. Can I have a bowl too?:eusa_clap

Great lookin' gumbo and a real fine idea for using up some left-over turkey. Thanks N8man!

Where's the potato salad?

Turkey gumbo on Friday after Thanksgiving is pretty much the main reason I still cook turkey on Thursday. It's a Louisiana thing (still got plenty of that blood still in me).

Back