MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Default From the no pics - it didn't happen file

I can think of about 35,000 other uses for smoked salmon other than stuffing sweet peppers and smoking them..........I'm just sayin.

But on the bright side - I mixed some cream cheese, parm cheese, fresh chives from the garden and garlic in a sweet pepper. OUTSTANDING!

Bacon, Cheddar & cream cheese - pretty darn good.

Pepperoni, marble jack cheese, & cream cheese - kid's choice.

But the Alaskan smoked salmon & cream cheese stuffed peppers will never be spoken about again.................

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
keend
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI_Guy View Post

But the Alaskan smoked salmon & cream cheese stuffed peppers will never be spoken about again.................

Peppers and salmon not good??? What happened?

Misplaced in the Mid-West

NB Bandera
22.5" Weber Kettle
[COLOR=black]22.5" WSM[/COLOR]
keend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keend View Post
Peppers and salmon not good??? What happened?
Maybe it was the twice smoked salmon flavor. Something was wrong - VERY wrong. Maybe it was the alder smoked salmon and the hickory I had at the house today.

It's one thing for me to turn my nose up at a salmon dish - but when MRS_MRI doesn't approve - then I've got some explaining to do.

I'll stick with my smoked salmon dip, smoked salmon alfredo pasta, etc.

Now if the fishing in a few weeks is outstanding..........well, maybe in September I'll try it again.

But for now - I'm just happy to discover that the Garlic/Chive peppers were great.

**Notice that the Smoked salmon peppers weren't in the photo with the last of the other peppers.

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen

Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I that Cast Iron they are on? Did that play a part in cooking.

Anyway they look good. I'd take 2 or 10.
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Picky eaters can be frustrating . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
I that Cast Iron they are on? Did that play a part in cooking.

Anyway they look good. I'd take 2 or 10.
That is the griddle that I normally make pancakes on.

Part of the Brethren sickness (according to my wife) is that I wanted something different to display my food in all of its glory on. I just wish that I would have snapped a pic BEFORE I tried my first pepper. Having some 20 or 30 halves on that griddle looked GREAT. SIGH........I guess that my wife finally learned that I'm not perfect.

One side comment from a neighborhood little girl. "When my daddy cooks outside - it doesn't smell like this. Yours smells good, like a campfire."

I will call that the :inflate my ego mod: (in spite of pushing those salmon peppers to the side)

Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

While I dont eat stuffed peppers the guys I give the smoked salmon peppers to just beg for more.Maybe when you smoke the salmon yourself it will be a little different.Who are you going fishing with?If you dont do well let Clark(Harbormaster) know or PM me and maybe I can hook you up.I havent had my rig over to the lake yet but will soon.The fishing looks to be starting to fire up on the big pond its been a little slow.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

MRI_Guy,
I would like to have tried one of those God-awful smoked salmon stuffed peppers. Do you think a different pepper would have made a difference? Maybe a different cheese like a mozarella or a gouda?
I s'pose if the salmon was pretty smokey, then it may have been less than palatable. What did you cook them on, the ECB? Maybe the smoke was too thick. I know with the high humidity I had trouble with my offset and a WSM this weekend. Couldn't get temps up.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
MRI_Guy,
I would like to have tried one of those God-awful smoked salmon stuffed peppers. Do you think a different pepper would have made a difference? Maybe a different cheese like a mozarella or a gouda?
I s'pose if the salmon was pretty smokey, then it may have been less than palatable. What did you cook them on, the ECB? Maybe the smoke was too thick. I know with the high humidity I had trouble with my offset and a WSM this weekend. Couldn't get temps up.
As I sit here trying to distract myself from the horrible condition this particular MRI system is in - here are a few more thoughts about my salmon stuffed peppers from this past weekend.

I think that 'stale' smoke was definately one factor. With the high humidity - there didn't seem to be alot of 'movement' through everything.

I also used my 'Apple Jack' recipe of smoked salmon - as that what was in the fridge. My Apple Jack salmon is fairly salty and hard smoked. It was also King Salmon - which is very rich in oil. That oil probably absorbed ALOT of the additional smoky flavor.

When I revisit this, I'll proably use one of my 'Sweeter' recipes for smoked salmon and a less fatty salmon like pinks or cohos. Not only is the recipe less salty - but it isn't smoked as long.

Then there was the texture thing. Once I broke down the salmon into the cheese mix - there was nothing to maintain the texture of the pepper. Maybe add a crust of crushed saltines or add scallions into the salmon/cheese mixture.

Finally the actual pepper. The sweet peppers definately were NOT the way to go with this. I also think that jalapenos would be too hot. Maybe I'll try a poblano or something else that has mild to mid range heat levels.

But all of this hinges on how good the fishing is in a few weeks (and the quality of my guide - heheheh)............