The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #16
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have seen a Backwoods in action and they are great. I own a Spicewine and I am pleased to say, that I am glad I chose it over all the other cabinet style cookers. Built to last. We have a trailer with a fold down door, and we just roll it up and tie down. No problem.
Either way, you win.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Shameless plug.
Understandably :)

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #18
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Hey Thom, what is "the optimal option"?

Never heard of it.
It makes cooking optimal
Just messin :)

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've cooked on both, side-by-side, more than once. Both are great cookers. Both have advantages over the other. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Spicewine has a much larger water pan. THe Backwoods comes up to temp faster because it has lighter metal. The Spicewine will hold temps longer because the metal stays hot. You can keep cooking in a Spicewine an hour after the charcoal has burnt out. That is not a guess. I have done it.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

I'm looking at the Competitor in the Backwoods, possibly the medium Spicewine.

I'm aware of the obvious differences in finish and features, the things I'd like to hear from owners are things like:
  • Mobility loading and unloading on a truck or trailer
  • Any rust or leakage issues
  • Ease and method of cleaning
  • Manufacturer support and warranty claims
  • Unattended cook times
  • Hot spots or other idiosyncrasies
Thanks for your help! I like to get as many opinions as possible before buying...

-gf
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

This really is a Dodge vs Chevy, Remington vs Winchester, Bud vs Miller argument.

I have BWS and had the privilege of cooking on a SW this past weekend actually. Either are very good, well made cookers.

I can get a good 5-7 hour burn in my cooker using just the vents and without any charcoal pan mods. I dont have a removable water pan but would recommend getting one.

I like the BW for the mobility it offers, I can easily move it myself on wheels or using a handtruck. Hard to do that with the heavier SW

I didn't like the shelves on the SW, or at least the way they came apart. I also don't know if the heavier material is needed in the shelves. That being said, I don't think you may ever have to replace them. The BWS uses a lighter oven type shelf that I have yet to max out or have a problem with.

The thing I don't like about the BWS is the ergonomics. It is set up so the door swings open to the right making it perfect if you are a lefty but kind of a PIA for us right handed people. I bought mine used, so I am not sure if you can order the door on the other side, but I have never seen one.

I know that these seem like small chit things but I think thats all you can find wrong with either of these fine units.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #22
ole'e
On the road to being a farker

Default BWS vs SW

I own a backwoods competitor. Either one that you decide on you will be getting a quality piece of work. The inner frame of a backwoods is all steel with the outside being a light wt. sheeting. I can cook on my backwoods for 12hr on 10lbs of lump charcoal. However on a backwoods competitor you can not get a full pan in unless you bend the tabs on the end. The BWS competitor weighs 350lbs, so it would be better to roll it up on trailer. Shipping will be closer to you in GA from LA. Mike is a very gook guy and stands behind his product. He will build the cooker as you like. As you can tell in the south the BWS is very popular. The BWS in the south is like the Goodone is in KS. I have been very pleased by my cooker and have no regrets.
Louisiana Gill 680
26 ft Work and Play
ole'e is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #23
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I'm looking at the Competitor in the Backwoods, possibly the medium Spicewine.

I'm aware of the obvious differences in finish and features, the things I'd like to hear from owners are things like:
  • Mobility loading and unloading on a truck or trailer
  • Any rust or leakage issues
  • Ease and method of cleaning
  • Manufacturer support and warranty claims
  • Unattended cook times
  • Hot spots or other idiosyncrasies
Thanks for your help! I like to get as many opinions as possible before buying...

-gf
For Mobility I would give it to the Backwoods based on weight since it is much lighter making it easier to move around and lift.

I do not have any rust on my Backwoods But I think either as long as they are properly maintained would hold up well to rust. I am not sure what you men by leakage but I do not have any leakage issues with my backwoods.

I would think that cleaning either would be about the same since they are essentially the same shape and the shelves are held on the same the backwoods shelves might be easier to clean but I don't think it would be much of a difference.

I bought my Backwoods used so I have not had any need for factory support but from what I have read from the owner of both smokers that have needed it you can't go wrong either way.

On my Party I run water so my unattended cook time is limited to approx 4 hours before I need to add water, without water I would have no problem leaving it unattended for as long as the charcoal was burning I easily get 12 hour burn times using Briqs in a charcoal basket and just the vents this could be increased by using a stroker or guru. But I see no need for one since it will cruise along all night for me with out messing with it already.

Hope this helps both are such great smokers it is hard to choose between them, the good thing is you can't go wrong either way.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

I have a Competitor that I use in my catering business and I have the convection fan on it which makes it cook even from top to bottom an option the spicebox does not offer and if you want that top rack to finish chicken you just turn the fan off. Add a Guru to it and I can get 10 plus hours of burn time and along with the convection just set it and walk away. Plus I give Brethren discounts
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #25
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We are getting 20 hours of heat out of the U Shaped basket with no guru or fan ust dont need it
We also built "David Klose Style" racks for ours (We clean with a Weed Burner)

Jimmy has a few in stock at a Move em out price Looks like your lucky day

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook

Last edited by ThomEmery; 06-12-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post

I've cooked on both, side-by-side, more than once. Both are great cookers. Both have advantages over the other. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Spicewine has a much larger water pan. THe Backwoods comes up to temp faster because it has lighter metal. The Spicewine will hold temps longer because the metal stays hot. You can keep cooking in a Spicewine an hour after the charcoal has burnt out. That is not a guess. I have done it.
I would be the owner of the BW on the left in this pic...I have had the opportunity to cook on both of these boxes. Your choice is really going to come down to what specifically is more important to you. That Spice is HEAVY...600+ lbs. My BW is ~200 lbs. You can put full pans in the Spice...you can't in the BW. I was able to cook 18 racks of spares with a little room left over in the Spice...I was pushing it with 10 in the BW. For some odd reason, the Spice would leak when I moved it around the driveway, but the BW wouldn't. The Spice has a nice, huge water pan...the BW is only good for about 4 hours without refilling. The wheels on the Spice look like they've been through a war, while the BW wheels are fantastic, and the wheel locks are easy to use and work well on the BW (the BW is actually a little older than the Spice). I can't understand why the BW has larger, more sturdy wheels than the Spice.

They both are FANTASTIC cookers! If money were no object, I'd have a Spicewine at home and a Backwoods to take with me.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42955

Jimmys Construction Sale in Progess

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #28
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
"David Klose Style" racks for ours (We clean with a Weed Burner)
Thom,

what do mean by that? never heard of them.......

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Thom,

what do mean by that? never heard of them.......
Oh we have a Klose and the cooking shelves are expanded metal
very sturdy Maybe I should have said expanded metal cooking shelves :)

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the great input folks!

By "leaks" I mean the nasty black tar dripping out of the bottom of the unit. I've heard some reports of this occurring with the Spicewine.

Interesting observation on the left hand doors on some of the Backwoods models. I wonder why some open to the right and some to the left? The racks seem a bit flimsy on the Backwoods - any problems when you stuff the smoker full with cases of butts?
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, spicewine